Best documentary

AkPatsFan

Reaction score
Since we are in a movie kick, I thought this would be a fun one to do and it will give everyone a chance to possibly watch one they've never seen before. We just finished up this one and it was pretty intense and they didn't hide anything so if your squeamish you might want to pass on this one.

WWII in HD, saw it on Netflix.

Not sure it's the best but I found it stellar when I saw it in a small theater in Cambridge back in the '90s. Was up of an Oscar. 2 and a half hours on this brilliant woman with commentary by her contemporaries and narrated by Sharon Gless of Gagney and Lacey etc.

View: https://youtu.be/-OE4FPylYno

Also loved the eminently boring Ken Burn's many-hour doc on baseball.

Hot girls wanted was pretty good.

How about Faces of Death? Saw this shit when I was 12 and WTF? That creepy-ass psychiatrist haunted my dreams.

View: https://youtu.be/psztnZ0eoVI

I've seen a number of them, I don't even know why I watched them but I just couldn't stop. The one with the people sitting around that table with the monkey was just so bizarre.

How about Faces of Death? Saw this shit when I was 12 and WTF? That creepy-ass psychiatrist haunted my dreams.

Me and my brother and a friend of ours rented all three of them, there were only three at the time anyway, and we are getting ready to watch the first one in my mom came in and sat down and I told her that she's not going to want to watch this. "I'm pretty sure I can handle it."
And then the first one starts with the guy in the electric chair it took about 3.2 seconds for her to say okay I'm out and went to bed

series? Civil War & Baseball by Ken Burns

films? Apollo 11, When We Were Kings (Ali v Foreman), and of course, The Last Waltz

When that thing came out I had a roommate who rented it and was planning on getting high and watching it while I went out for the night. I got home late and was looking for a snack. I open the fridge and there was Chinese food in there that hadn't been touched. I ask Kevin the next day why he didn't eat any of it and he says "I put the movie on and was just about to eat a chicken wing and they cut the head off a chicken and the thing started running around headless. I lost my appetite". True story.

Just a gross film, but I watched it.

"102 Minutes That Changed America"

Operation Odessa

It should still be on Netflix. Basically 3 idiots who are working as drug smugglers from Miami try to buy a Russian submarine in order to smuggle the drugs from Colombia to the US. It's only one episode and so worth it.

There's one I'll look for that I saw about a year and a half ago that was about homelessness in America in this day and age. It was really interesting and one of the statistics that really stuck out at me was that today's homeless aren't like in the old days where it was mostly people who were mentally ill or suffered from substance abuse issues. 40% of the homeless people in America today have full-time jobs, but those jobs are so low paying that they can't afford housing in markets where rent is skyrocketing.

American Drug War was a great doc.
That reminds me of one I saw called Meth Wars which covered a family and their friends in Northern Arkansas who are all deep, deep into meth addictions. Where I live in Central Illinois it's the same way, it's all around us and that documentary really hit home.

That reminds me of one I saw called Meth Wars which covered a family and their friends in Northern Arkansas who are all deep, deep into meth addictions. Where I live in Central Illinois it's the same way, it's all around us and that documentary really hit home.
Meth imo, was created by the same chemists as the creators of LSD. Tavistock related. Meth is an epidemic pretty much everywhere that I've experienced. Coke was more expensive and it was limited by where it was grown. Meth is a cheap, man-made alt. version of it that can be distributed everywhere like a McDonald's franchise mode like distribution process.

The Red Pill, the Youtube Red documentary, is likely the best documentary I've seen. It's funny to me how many people will refuse to see it, but I watched it, and found not only that it was interesting and informative, but it also shed light on things and changed my mind on things in a way that persisted in the face of subsequent scrutiny and research. It's really really good and I can't recommend it highly enough.

There's also a documentary about a guy living on the edge of the ocean, I think it was in South Africa? He goes diving to reinvigorate his love for life, basically, and documents a large portion of the life cycle of an octopus. Visually it's compelling, and go figure, I'm a sucker for octopodes, so I am a big fan of that one as well. I think it's "My Octopus Teacher". However, it might be because I'm a sucker for a poignant score and octopodes but I found it to be a very emotional watch, just as a forewarning.

Back