Bill Belichick

Reminds me of BC's Mike Mamula, the original Combine " Workout Warrior",who trained maniacally just for the combine drills and blew everyone's doors off at the '95 combine. Went from an early to mid-round prospect to the #7 choice in the first round by Philly. Was an ok player for about 5 years in the league. Smart dude, though.
There's a name from the past, wow. Another example, is Ryan Leaf, great athlete, super strong arm, dumber than a bag of hammers or Giovani Carmazzi, supreme Athlete, just never got used to the game of Football. The only one in the 2000 draft aside from Brady who decent success was Chad Pennington, who was the NFL's most accurate passer, never had a ton of arm strength either.

Tua has a below average arm which is one reason his teammates at Bama said Mac was better. I just think it's funny a starting QB on a 9-4 team who has shown he has a solid arm, would be seen as such. There's a reason why Tua needs to do RPOs and gimmick crap to function and part of that is his arm strength being poor.
Words still mean things to me anyway. Are there 16 quarterbacks in starting in the NFL with more arm strength than Mac? That is what is being stated. Not is there 16 quarterbacks better than Mac. Arm strength is the question. It is fine that this may be the case if he can make all the throws, throw guys open, score points, win games, read defenses pre and post snap, be clutch. He still has 5 years or so before his physical body supposedly catches up to his aptitude.

Words still mean things to me anyway. Are there 16 quarterbacks in starting in the NFL with more arm strength than Mac? That is what is being stated. Not is there 16 quarterbacks better than Mac. Arm strength is the question. It is fine that this may be the case if he can make all the throws, throw guys open, score points, win games, read defenses pre and post snap, be clutch. He still has 5 years or so before his physical body supposedly catches up to his aptitude.
You're confusing average and median.

Suppose a teacher gave a test to 10 students, and after the test said the average grade was 90 (out of a 100). Does that mean 5 students were below 90, and 5 students were above? Not necessarily. For this test, 9 students got 100, and one student got 0. So 9 out of the 10 students were above the average.

For this test, the median (the score in the middle) was 100, the mode (the score seen most often) was 100, and the average was 90.

harrisvenndiagram.gif

In the universe of NFL starting QBs, Mac's arm is almost certainly below average. That doesn't mean it's not strong enough to do the job at an extremely high level, and it doesn't mean it won't be average or better when it is more fully developed. But this group has extremely strong arms, obviously, and there are a few outliers that skew the average higher than the 16th best arm would be. From the hip, I'd say Mac is probably in the 3rd quartile in terms of arm strength - in the #17-24 range. If he's smart and dedicated to developing his technique and body his ceiling is maybe in the #8-12 range, maybe a bit above average.

But as long as the arm strength is at or above a minimum threshold, it shouldn't be a limiting factor.
Mac has to practice/build up his deep ball throwing a bit...because he does have a weaker ball than most of the starting QB's. It's pretty obvious to anyone who knows. Some people aren't aware though. :coffee:

Overall though, Mac is doing a great job.

I don't have an interest in being lectured. I've been watching this sport for 40 years. I know what arm strength is and looks like. Tim Tebow blushes somewhere along with Mark Sanchez and dozens of others who struggled to throw a ball downfield.
ProFootballTalk is awaiting your "brilliance" bub...

You're confusing average and median.

Suppose a teacher gave a test to 10 students, and after the test said the average grade was 90 (out of a 100). Does that mean 5 students were below 90, and 5 students were above? Not necessarily. For this test, 9 students got 100, and one student got 0. So 9 out of the 10 students were above the average.

For this test, the median (the score in the middle) was 100, the mode (the score seen most often) was 100, and the average was 90.

harrisvenndiagram.gif
I stand corrected. I did in fact confuse median with average and words do still have meaning.

Enough with the personal shots. He’s mellowed and brings a ton of football knowledge. Roberto wrote a great post just the other day to that effect.

Move on please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man, you take potshots at BSF every chance you get. Maybe you should reconsider that tactic if you can't handle the return fire.

Man, you take potshots at BSF every chance you get. Maybe you should reconsider that tactic if you can't handle the return fire.

LOL. He didn’t see a shot at me. Try reading that again.
BSF is a good guy, but we all know that most of that conspiracy stuff is illogical.

Fact is, TyLaw has changed his tune, and contributes well to these football threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BSF is a good guy, but we all know that most of that conspiracy stuff is illogical.

Fact is, TyLaw has changed his tune, and contributes well to these football threads.

Here’s the thing dude and I’m going to try to be nice as possible without being too offensive. You come off as an elitist snot. Maybe you just act like that towards people you don’t like and I get it you’re not supposed to like everybody here. I personally think you’ll get your rocks off attacking people. But that’s just me maybe I’m wrong. Look at it like this if you read something you totally disagree with instead of trying to insult somebody’s intelligence level just turn the page. You’ll be better for it. Personally I already know when you read this you’re just gonna roll your eyes at me because I know how you feel about me. Don’t worry the feelings mutual. 🙂

I'm not going to dwell on this, but, most of the conspiracy stuff is actually happening. It's not theory. So... :coffee:

I actually like you, so, I take it as a ribbing somewhat.

I'm not going to dwell on this, but, most of the conspiracy stuff is actually happening. It's not theory. So... :coffee:

I actually like you, so, I take it as a ribbing somewhat.

You’re a cool dude. I just question most of your sources.

But getting back to the topic at hand, check out TyLaws more recent posts. He’s (thankfully) changed his tune. Like you, I was going to write him off and put him on ignore, but he took peoples’ advice, it seems.

You’re a cool dude. I just question most of your sources.

But getting back to the topic at hand, check out TyLaws more recent posts. He’s (thankfully) changed his tune. Like you, I was going to write him off and put him on ignore, but he took peoples’ advice, it seems.

Some of what he says I actually agree with...some of it is just overkill.

Back