Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field, was administered CPR

Which would make sense in a broader context, but has almost nothing to do with what happened to Hamlin.
I mean, it does, he's 24, he's a 2nd year player, he was a 6th round pick so he's already made his guaranteed money. If he can't come back and play, he's not vested, he can be cut, and isn't eligible for a pension.

Them's the breaks, I guess?

I mean, it does, he's 24, he's a 2nd year player, he was a 6th round pick so he's already made his guaranteed money. If he can't come back and play, he's not vested, he can be cut, and isn't eligible for a pension.

How many 24 year olds are vested in any company?

Insurance is sold that covers such events.
It's called Own Occupation Disability Insurance.

It pays when a football player, for example, can no longer play football.

The NFL provides disability insurance that pays $4000/month and, in addition, every player should buy their own personal policy. Every player's agent should see to it.
For 1% of your annual covered salary you can buy a policy that covers your full salary. You can buy it for a lifetime of payments or for a designated number of years. Of course, the cost/month goes up the longer the policy pays. It's cheap for players to insure their ability to play.

All it takes is a phone call to an insurance agent and a copy of a signed contract.

easy GIF

Insurance is sold that covers such events.
It's called Own Occupation Disability Insurance.

It pays when a football player, for example, can no longer play football.

The NFL provides disability insurance that pays $4000/month and, in addition, every player should buy their own personal policy. Every player's agent should see to it.
For 1% of your annual covered salary you can buy a policy that covers your full salary. You can buy it for a lifetime of payments or for a designated number of years. Of course, the cost/month goes up the longer the policy pays. It's cheap for players to insure their ability to play.

All it takes is a phone call to an insurance agent and a copy of a signed contract.

easy GIF

That's the first thing I would buy with my money if I was an NFL player. Forget the Porsche and new homes for the family, get the insurance sorted first and foremost and pay those premiums.

How many 24 year olds are vested in any company?

A 24 year old football player is the equivalent of a 44-year-old in a "normal" company. Most pro careers are over shortly after 30, it's a tiny window these guys have.

Well, that's true for most of the country, right? How many 24 year olds are protected? But that wasn't my point at all. My point was that the situation apparently wasn't a result of the brutal game he played, really. We wouldn't care beyond general empathy if he was a local barista or whatever? If he's very popular and happens to have a wife and kid someone throws together a go fund me for him.

We are feeling guilty to some degree about being entertained by these guys playing a game well known to be dangerous. But this isn't the case for the hair shirts and mea culpas. That case is the 3rd year vet min player who is permanently disabled on a hit after hiding yet another set of concussion symptoms from his team doc so he didn't get cut.

The C's doctor(and his team) gave the right diagnosis, she sued the doctor they got the 2nd opinion from and who told them what they wanted to hear, that he was fine. And many think she was behind not accepting the first diagnosis, which wasn't from just one cardiologist but 12. That whole thing still makes me so sad and angry, such a talented and likeable kid, he deserved better.

During Harris's law suit against Dr. Mudge it was shown that Reggie lied to Mudge about his use of (crack) cocaine. That lie changed how Dr. Mudge interpreted his evaluation of Reggie's heart status. The jury cleared Dr. Mudge bc of it. (During that time I was a neighbor of Mudge's in Sherborn, MA. I also made frequent house calls to care for their horses, dogs and cats. I took a special interest in the lawsuit bc of that.)

Cocaine and particularly crack cocaine can kill people acutely or chronically using 2 different pathways. Reggie and Len Bias were killed acutely although there were very mild chronic changes in Reggie's heart function. (the right side of the diagram below shows the acute death pathway [overdose])

zhc0491090250001.jpg

A 24 year old football player is the equivalent of a 44-year-old in a "normal" company. Most pro careers are over shortly after 30, it's a tiny window these guys have.
Sure but he signed a contract understanding the risks. And it is not clear that football was the cause of his heart attack either.

During Harris's law suit against Dr. Mudge it was shown that Reggie lied to Mudge about his use of (crack) cocaine. That lie changed how Dr. Mudge interpreted his evaluation of Reggie's heart status. The jury cleared Dr. Mudge bc of it. (During that time I was a neighbor of Mudge's in Sherborn, MA. I also made frequent house calls to care for their horses, dogs and cats. I took a special interest in the lawsuit bc of that.)

Cocaine and particularly crack cocaine can kill people acutely or chronically using 2 different pathways. Reggie and Len Bias were killed acutely although there were very mild chronic changes in Reggie's heart function. (the right side of the diagram below shows the acute death pathway [overdose])

zhc0491090250001.jpg
Is drug use being suspected for the heart attack?

There's a bit of a mob mentality about this at the moment, You may have seen Skip and Shannon yesterday and it got very heated.

View: https://youtu.be/DpxU3nwjsaU

Skip has been attacked over a Tweet he put out after the incident. Now if you read this properly there is no real issue with this surely? Now I am definitely not Skip's biggest fan but this is a bit much, the tantrums being thrown over this tweet.

View: https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/1610101204687949827

I agree, 100% with skip here. The top three seeds in the conference are at stake not to mention the patriots chances of being the last wildcard in. The decision to postpone the game or perhaps not even play it is catastrophic to the teams involved in this year‘s postseason. There is also talk that the bills might not be ready to play us on Sunday. If that is the case then what in the world is going to happen to the 7 seed? Are we automatically eliminated because we are going to have a lower win percentage then one of the other teams? And what about Cincinnati who if they beat the bills would’ve went from the third seed to the first seed?

Sure but he signed a contract understanding the risks. And it is not clear that football was the cause of his heart attack either.
Generally speaking I would say the concussion scandal proves that they do not know all the risks.

I agree, 100% with skip here. The top three seeds in the conference are at stake not to mention the patriots chances of being the last wildcard in. The decision to postpone the game or perhaps not even play it is catastrophic to the teams involved in this year‘s postseason. There is also talk that the bills might not be ready to play us on Sunday. If that is the case then what in the world is going to happen to the 7 seed? Are we automatically eliminated because we are going to have a lower win percentage then one of the other teams? And what about Cincinnati who if they beat the bills would’ve went from the third seed to the first seed?
According to NFL rules, a team that is not able to play the game forfeits. I think it's scored as a 1-0 game or some such. This was originally in place to account for field conditions, etc., but was in focus in 2020 if teams couldn't go because of excessive COVID cases. The opposing team has the opportunity to accept the forfeit or not. If they don't accept the forfeit, it is no contest, as if the game were never scheduled.

This would put an immense amount of pressure on the Patriots to not accept a forfeit. Accepting locks in their playoff spots, but this choice would box them into either being the heel by accepting the forfeit or refuse to accept it an be wildly likely to forgo a chance at the playoffs, as they would be out if any of PIT, JAX, or MIA won their games.

According to NFL rules, a team that is not able to play the game forfeits. I think it's scored as a 1-0 game or some such. This was originally in place to account for field conditions, etc., but was in focus in 2020 if teams couldn't go because of excessive COVID cases. The opposing team has the opportunity to accept the forfeit or not. If they don't accept the forfeit, it is no contest, as if the game were never scheduled.

This would put an immense amount of pressure on the Patriots to not accept a forfeit. Accepting locks in their playoff spots, but this choice would box them into either being the heel by accepting the forfeit or refuse to accept it an be wildly likely to forgo a chance at the playoffs, as they would be out if any of PIT, JAX, or MIA won their games.
if the Bills choose not to play this weekend, I don’t think there’s any stigma whatsoever to the Patriots for accepting the forfeit.

I was thinking of this - if Pats presented the option of Forfeit (free win) or go no contest and be the "good guys" letting teams still playing get a shot at the spot?
Lets be honest, if Pats go to KC or Buffalo they will just get embarrassed, and it was looking like that against cincy until 2nd half comeback. sure, anything can happen, but I bet the NFL see it as a best case scenario shoudl Bills not play sunday (pats don't take the "win").

Last I heard (Somewhere) Bills were practicing as if they are playing Sunday but who knows

I was thinking of this - if Pats presented the option of Forfeit (free win) or go no contest and be the "good guys" letting teams still playing get a shot at the spot?
Lets be honest, if Pats go to KC or Buffalo they will just get embarrassed, and it was looking like that against cincy until 2nd half comeback. sure, anything can happen, but I bet the NFL see it as a best case scenario shoudl Bills not play sunday (pats don't take the "win").

Last I heard (Somewhere) Bills were practicing as if they are playing Sunday but who knows
We should have beaten Cincy.

I think we can be competitive with any of the three.

All I want is to be competitive and make them work for it. Improve from last year.

Take a forfeit if the bills won’t play? Without a doubt.

Annnnnddd.......we've gone straight down the rabbit hole.

"The View" co-host Joy Behar hit conservatives and heterosexual men on Wednesday for their support of tackle football.

"45% of Americans think that tackle football is appropriate. Heterosexual men voted the most support for kids doing football. And conservatives were more likely to support youth tackle football. Just saying," Behar said with disdain.

The hosts were discussing Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin, who collapsed during a game Monday night and suffered cardiac arrest, and renewed calls for the NFL to make safety a top priority.

joy-behar-100-ignorant-malcontent-tfnoriginal-youtube-thumbnail.jpg

Annnnnddd.......we've gone straight down the rabbit hole.

"The View" co-host Joy Behar hit conservatives and heterosexual men on Wednesday for their support of tackle football.

"45% of Americans think that tackle football is appropriate. Heterosexual men voted the most support for kids doing football. And conservatives were more likely to support youth tackle football. Just saying," Behar said with disdain.

The hosts were discussing Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin, who collapsed during a game Monday night and suffered cardiac arrest, and renewed calls for the NFL to make safety a top priority.

View attachment 14786
"yes, let's politicize this!" said no one with a brain, ever. 🙄

Back