Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field, was administered CPR

Patriots-Lifer

Live the life you've dreamed
Reaction score
Alaina GetzenbergESPN

CINCINNATI -- Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field, was administered CPR and then was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, where he is in critical condition, according to the NFL, which postponed the game between Buffalo and the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday night.

In a chilling scene that grounded to a halt the showdown between two of the NFL's best teams, CPR was administered to Hamlin on the field for multiple minutes after he collapsed following a play in the first quarter. He received oxygen, according to the ESPN broadcast, as he was placed in the ambulance and taken off the field some 16 minutes after he collapsed and driven to University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

"Hamlin received immediate medical attention on the field by team and independent medical staff and local paramedics," the league said in a statement. "He was then transported to a local hospital where he is in critical condition.

"Our thoughts are with Damar and the Buffalo Bills. We will provide more information as it becomes available. The NFL has been in constant communication with the NFL Players Association which is in agreement with postponing the game."

The injury took place after Hamlin tackled wide receiver Tee Higgins and quickly got up afterward. Hamlin then abruptly collapsed, with athletic trainers coming to help immediately. A stretcher then was brought to the field as athletic trainers protected his head.

Bills players Tre'Davious White, left, and Mitch Morse react after teammate Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field during Monday night's game. Dylan Buell/Getty Images
The entire Bills sideline surrounded Hamlin as he received care. Multiple Bills players were visibly distressed and comforting each other as he was being cared for by athletic trainers. Many players turned away from watching Hamlin in distress.

The first attempt to move Hamlin resulted in him being brought back down onto the field, but he was ultimately placed into an ambulance, which left the stadium at about 9:25 p.m. ET and headed to University of Cincinnati Medical Center. Hamlin's family came down from the stands to be with him in the ambulance.

After Hamlin exited the field, Bills players knelt together in a circle and then returned to the sideline, with the defense heading back on the field to resume play. Buffalo wide receiver Stefon Diggs called everyone over for a word. However, instead of resuming play, Bengals coach Zac Taylor walked over to Bills counterpart Sean McDermott and met with the game officials present. The decision was then made to pause the game -- which the Bengals were leading 7-3 -- some 21 minutes after the injury.

The NFL then announced a full postponement at about 10 p.m. ET. The league did not say when the game would be made up or resumed.

"The NFLPA and everyone in our community is praying for Damar Hamlin," the union said in a statement. "We have been in touch with Bills and Bengals players, and with the NFL. The only thing that matters at this moment is Damar's health and well being."

Hamlin was selected in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL draft out of Pittsburgh, with the Bills taking him with the No. 212 overall pick.

He has been starting for the Bills this season in place of injured safety Micah Hyde, who suffered a neck injury in Week 2 and has been on injured reserve since. Hamlin entered Monday tied for the second-most tackles on the team (91), and he has one forced fumble and 1.5 sacks this year, making 13 starts.

I hope the fact that he was administered oxygen after undergoing CPR means (hopefully) that he was breathing on his own before being transported to the hospital and
that the time period his heart wasn't pumping (I'm assuming here) was brief and didn't cause critical damage. Obviously, I hope the kid pulls through and will recover. Everybody does.

Prayers to him and his family for the outcome we're all hoping for and the rest of it can wait for a while. They did the right thing by cancelling the game as quickly as they did.

I hope the fact that he was administered oxygen after undergoing CPR means (hopefully) that he was breathing on his own before being transported to the hospital and
that the time period his heart wasn't pumping (I'm assuming here) was brief and didn't cause critical damage. Obviously, I hope the kid pulls through and will recover. Everybody does.

Prayers to him and his family for the outcome we're all hoping for and the rest of it can wait for a while. They did the right thing by cancelling the game as quickly as they did.
Yes I agree. I did wonder if they play this game later this week will they move the Patriots Bills game to later next week.

Yes I agree. I did wonder if they play this game later this week will they move the Patriots Bills game to later next week.
The playoffs start the 14th. It would be incredibly difficult to push games very far at this point.

You guys might not remember, but I posted about the European Championship Soccer tournament last year where a Danish player simply collapsed on the field. He had a cardiac arrest and everyone thought he was dead. They restored his heartbeat after a long time on the field and he recovered. It was assumed he'd never play again, but Christian Erickson today is playing for Manchester United, the biggest soccer club in the world.

Fingers crossed for Damar, if they got his heart going again there's a good chance he will be OK.

Players collapsing from heart issues has happened since team sports began, it's just one of those things.

I mean Eriksen was basically dead for a time.

eriksen-christian-120621.jpg

Christian-Eriksen_1_20210613_1642242062.jpg

210612175127-denmark.jpg
1440x810_cmsv2_eed8d138-c075-57c7-aef0-0dca0ac89a3a-5757982.jpg

Last edited:

This could be great news for Damar Hamlin if reports are accurate. (So many early reports, breathing vs not breathing, pulse vs no pulse and the timing of it all - were not exactly accurate)
Prayers

View: https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1610166228559052801

Cardiac arrest for anyone is never good news but when you hear that his heartbeat was immediately restored on the field, that is cause for optimism that hopefully turns into celebration.

Other than in a hospital, there is no better place to collapse than on a NFL field. Over two dozen medical professionals including emergency medical personnel and equipment are present. The home team plays an important role in emergency care and support for the visiting team and that is the norm but the Bengals medical staff should still be congratulated. All home teams drill for this annually. In addition, emergency medical personnel and medical staff from both teams meet pregame to go over any last minute information in preparation for anything that might happen.

The nine minutes of CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) undoubtedly saved his life. The heart attack was likely caused by a cardiac contusion with potential commotio cordis (electrical signal gone haywire). AED (automatic external defibrillators) are routinely on both NFL sidelines and even brought on the plane and bus with the traveling team. The defibrillation (shock) happened on the field to convert Hamlin's rhythm to allow his heart to beat again. Commotio cordis leading to heart attack has a significant mortality rate but with the witnessed arrest and immediate care, Hamlin seems headed for a positive outcome

A nearby trauma center is always designated and on stand by during NFL games. The ambulance was not slow moving to transport Hamlin. It is normal to stabilize before transport as it is unsafe to proceed with an unstable patient. There were more medical personnel on field than could fit in the ambulance plus all the medications, oxygen and lifesaving supplies needed meaning there was no reason to move him to the hospital until it was safe.

The best early sign was that the ambulance reportedly waited for his mom to come along indicating some early stability for Hamlin. The intubation (breathing tube) is normal/common for any critical care patient in the ICU and doesn't indicate a worse situation. A report of "normal" vital signs are positive news.

The football game and any playoff seeding is tertiary. This is a very scary situation. There was no way the teams could continue to play tonight without definitive information that Hamlin was going to be OK. Watching CPR and defibrillation on a friend/teammate (or opponent or someone you know) is incredibly traumatic for anyone.

This is a reminder that football is not just a contact sport but a collision sport. This tackle seemed on the routine side and players/public will need to process (and medical professionals explain) how this happens for all to feel comfortable with playing and watching the game again.

Hamlin will continue to be monitored, treated and tested over the next day or two before his breathing tube is removed and we hope to hear that he will make a full recovery. Until confirmed, it is way too early to talk about football or his future.

We relish the chance to deliver positive news especially in such a frightening situation. Let's hope the good news keeps coming.

In my two decades on a NFL sideline, I have never seen anything like tonight and I hope we never do again.

Last edited:
It is possible that this was an undiagnosed heart condition. There have been several young men who have dropped like Reggie Lewis, Lee Bias, and others, over the years.
This could have happened to Hamlin without any contact whatsoever, just working out.
The main thing is that he was able to be revived and is in the care of very good doctors.
As far as the game is concerned, I wouldn't object to giving both teams a win and moving on. This could be unfair to some teams, but life is not fair. I don't think any team will be eliminated, if the have a playoff chance,if this is what they do.

I have a question or maybe asking for opinions. The NFL doesn't stop games for injuries , even when the injuries have from what we can visual see look horrible.. There have been injuries where people have been seriously injured and placed in ambulances and etc. Why do you all feel made last night different? Basically why did the NFL care last night when it seems they haven't before?

I have a question or maybe asking for opinions. The NFL doesn't stop games for injuries , even when the injuries have from what we can visual see look horrible.. There have been injuries where people have been seriously injured and placed in ambulances and etc. Why do you all feel made last night different? Basically why did the NFL care last night when it seems they haven't before?

I think just the seriousness of it. It looked for a time as if he had passed away. In the soccer game, I mentioned they re-started the game after 15 mins when they got the message he was stable in the hospital. And his wife said please play the game as it's what he would want and the fans from both sides gave their support as well.

Had Hamlin (or any injured player) been able to give his team a thumbs-up, I'm ok type of thing it would probably be a whole different situation. to see a teammate/fellow-player getting CPR and AED on the field has to be a real shock, and not knowing how he is doing just makes playing a game unthinkable.

Lions receiver Chuck Hughessuffered a heart attack, collapsed on the field and died during an October 1971 game against the Chicago Bears. The Detroit Free Press reports that it's believed Hughes is the only NFL player who died while competing in a game.

~Dee~

That was why I asked for that name was brought up as I was searching for news on DH. Plus, a few other names came up with serious injuries and they played on
Well if I remember correct the lions game was almost over so...that may have something to do with it. In DH is case I actually think the coaches called it by going to the locker rooms....

~Dee~

Last edited:
This could be great news for Damar Hamlin if reports are accurate. (So many early reports, breathing vs not breathing, pulse vs no pulse and the timing of it all - were not exactly accurate)
Prayers

View: https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1610166228559052801

Cardiac arrest for anyone is never good news but when you hear that his heartbeat was immediately restored on the field, that is cause for optimism that hopefully turns into celebration.

Other than in a hospital, there is no better place to collapse than on a NFL field. Over two dozen medical professionals including emergency medical personnel and equipment are present. The home team plays an important role in emergency care and support for the visiting team and that is the norm but the Bengals medical staff should still be congratulated. All home teams drill for this annually. In addition, emergency medical personnel and medical staff from both teams meet pregame to go over any last minute information in preparation for anything that might happen.

The nine minutes of CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) undoubtedly saved his life. The heart attack was likely caused by a cardiac contusion with potential commotio cordis (electrical signal gone haywire). AED (automatic external defibrillators) are routinely on both NFL sidelines and even brought on the plane and bus with the traveling team. The defibrillation (shock) happened on the field to convert Hamlin's rhythm to allow his heart to beat again. Commotio cordis leading to heart attack has a significant mortality rate but with the witnessed arrest and immediate care, Hamlin seems headed for a positive outcome

A nearby trauma center is always designated and on stand by during NFL games. The ambulance was not slow moving to transport Hamlin. It is normal to stabilize before transport as it is unsafe to proceed with an unstable patient. There were more medical personnel on field than could fit in the ambulance plus all the medications, oxygen and lifesaving supplies needed meaning there was no reason to move him to the hospital until it was safe.

The best early sign was that the ambulance reportedly waited for his mom to come along indicating some early stability for Hamlin. The intubation (breathing tube) is normal/common for any critical care patient in the ICU and doesn't indicate a worse situation. A report of "normal" vital signs are positive news.

The football game and any playoff seeding is tertiary. This is a very scary situation. There was no way the teams could continue to play tonight without definitive information that Hamlin was going to be OK. Watching CPR and defibrillation on a friend/teammate (or opponent or someone you know) is incredibly traumatic for anyone.

This is a reminder that football is not just a contact sport but a collision sport. This tackle seemed on the routine side and players/public will need to process (and medical professionals explain) how this happens for all to feel comfortable with playing and watching the game again.

Hamlin will continue to be monitored, treated and tested over the next day or two before his breathing tube is removed and we hope to hear that he will make a full recovery. Until confirmed, it is way too early to talk about football or his future.

We relish the chance to deliver positive news especially in such a frightening situation. Let's hope the good news keeps coming.

In my two decades on a NFL sideline, I have never seen anything like tonight and I hope we never do again.

This link has more and better detail than anything else out there. Thank you.

Back