Birth certificate search

AkPatsFan

Reaction score
I've been trying to help my wife's cousin get her birth certificate but so far it has been a fruitless search. She was born in the UK back in the mid 40's, her mother was English but her father was American. She had reached out to the reps in the city where she was born but they have been unable to help her. She's tried Ancestry.com and several others but continues to strike out. She cannot get a REAL ID without one which means she can't travel anywhere by aircraft but I'm running out of options myself. Anyone have any suggestions as to how we can resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Can you tell us where you tried besides Ancestry? Does she have relatives back home that can check church records or city hall or department of the registrar?( not sure what it is called over there)

Can you tell us where you tried besides Ancestry? Does she have relatives back home that can check church records or city hall or department of the registrar?( not sure what it is called over there)
Yeah being born in Canada ny birth certificate was from the church. I thankfully had a copy and was able to send it to the Canadian government to get their new universal certificate. My money is on the church too.

Edit to clarify that was my baptismal certificate which until the late 1990’s the government would accept as a birth certificate

Last edited:
I know she's contacted the folks over there that deal with birth certificates and had no luck, she has basically given up to this point but if I can help her I most certainly will. I had to reacquire my BC and I used Vitalcheck but I was born here in the US so I don't think they can help her.

I've been trying to help my wife's cousin get her birth certificate but so far it has been a fruitless search. She was born in the UK back in the mid 40's, her mother was English but her father was American. She had reached out to the reps in the city where she was born but they have been unable to help her. She's tried Ancestry.com and several others but continues to strike out. She cannot get a REAL ID without one which means she can't travel anywhere by aircraft but I'm running out of options myself. Anyone have any suggestions as to how we can resolve this would be greatly appreciated.
It's odd that they can't help; if she has her full name, place and date of birth, they would have her birth certificate on file. Each local authority has to keep them, as we are required to have a certified copy for passport applications.

How old was she when she came? She'd need a passport if she came here. If her dad was/is a us cititzen get in touch with the Embassy in both the US and England and yes Churches as well.
We got my Moms who was born in Poland right before WWII her dad was a US citizen her mom was not....She traveled on her moms Passport so we were able to get some information between the Embassy in the US, the embassy in Poland was destroyed during the war. The Churches here in the US and in Poland were a great help. If you can get a hold of any church documents or even county clerk records....School records also come in handy.

~Dee~

I'll get some more info from her and see where I can go from there, you've all been very helpful and I appreciate you.

Also called the registrar. They register births, marriages and deaths- presumably the same as the US.

Back