Black Monday 2023 edition

Good luck finding someone that wants to deal with bitch boy Kyler Murray.

IX8A4236_%2844120171045%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

BB grab that phone and get on to Kliff ASAP, an ideal candidate for OC, and someone who could pass knowledge on to a potential replacement if Kliff decides he fancies another HC gig at some point.
If Kingsbury takes a OC job does he lose his recently signed HC salary? Does it pay for him to sit for a couple of years?

If Kingsbury takes a OC job does he lose his recently signed HC salary? Does it pay for him to sit for a couple of years?

Depends on his contract which is guaranteed through 2027. Estimates of his salary range from $5.5-7.5M. Most coaches contracts carry an offset clause (see mitigation below)
If he takes another HC job, the Cards are off the hook but he can take a lesser job without losing the money owed. "Duty to mitigate" is almost impossible to enforce.

With and without cause​

Business and legal issues surrounding the contract can linger long past the blowup of the coaching staffs. Unlike the vast majority of player contracts, coaching contracts are effectively guaranteed. The firing team has to pay off the remaining years of the coach’s contract. That obligation, however, comes with caveats.

Teams must designate how they are terminating the coach’s contract. In order for the fired coach to continue to receive payments, the firing must be “without cause,” meaning there have been no breaches of the contract; that essentially the coach was fired for his performance rather than any off-field actions. Were there some kind of material breach—defined loosely in most contracts so as to give the team greater latitude—the team could designate the firing as “for cause” or “with cause.” The latter designation is at issue with Urban Meyer and the Jaguars—and, I would think, with Jon Gruden and the Raiders—as the Jaguars and Raiders may be trying to avoid payments totaling up to $50 million by claiming a with-cause firing due to breach of contract and/or misconduct. The Meyer and Gruden cases aside—and there are, of course, lawyers—virtually all NFL coaching firings are without cause, meaning the coaches are due the remaining monies on their contracts from the firing team. Unless…

Mitigation​

Guarantees in coaching contracts are offset guarantees, meaning the firing team’s financial liability is reduced if and when the coach secures work and is paid by another team during the term of the contract. While the firing team has an obligation to pay off the contract, the fired coach has a duty to mitigate, meaning he has an obligation to seek and find a similar coaching position with another team (that can be a college team as well). In other words, the fired coach cannot simply sit and collect his paycheck; he has to mitigate and try to find another job, with the payments from the new job offsetting the amount owed from the firing team.

Doesn’t matter. Career wise Kingsbury can’t afford to just take a break from coaching. This isn’t Sean Payton we’re talking about. He needs take an opportunity when offered & he will have some opportunities either in the NFL or college.

Depends on his contract which is guaranteed through 2027. Estimates of his salary range from $5.5-7.5M. Most coaches contracts carry an offset clause (see mitigation below)
If he takes another HC job, the Cards are off the hook but he can take a lesser job without losing the money owed. "Duty to mitigate" is almost impossible to enforce.

With and without cause​

Business and legal issues surrounding the contract can linger long past the blowup of the coaching staffs. Unlike the vast majority of player contracts, coaching contracts are effectively guaranteed. The firing team has to pay off the remaining years of the coach’s contract. That obligation, however, comes with caveats.

Teams must designate how they are terminating the coach’s contract. In order for the fired coach to continue to receive payments, the firing must be “without cause,” meaning there have been no breaches of the contract; that essentially the coach was fired for his performance rather than any off-field actions. Were there some kind of material breach—defined loosely in most contracts so as to give the team greater latitude—the team could designate the firing as “for cause” or “with cause.” The latter designation is at issue with Urban Meyer and the Jaguars—and, I would think, with Jon Gruden and the Raiders—as the Jaguars and Raiders may be trying to avoid payments totaling up to $50 million by claiming a with-cause firing due to breach of contract and/or misconduct. The Meyer and Gruden cases aside—and there are, of course, lawyers—virtually all NFL coaching firings are without cause, meaning the coaches are due the remaining monies on their contracts from the firing team. Unless…

Mitigation​

Guarantees in coaching contracts are offset guarantees, meaning the firing team’s financial liability is reduced if and when the coach secures work and is paid by another team during the term of the contract. While the firing team has an obligation to pay off the contract, the fired coach has a duty to mitigate, meaning he has an obligation to seek and find a similar coaching position with another team (that can be a college team as well). In other words, the fired coach cannot simply sit and collect his paycheck; he has to mitigate and try to find another job, with the payments from the new job offsetting the amount owed from the firing team.

Thank you.

So simple math: Kingsbury HC Salary 6,000,000 - Kingsbury OC Salary 1,000,000 = Arizona still on hook for 5,000,000 of HC salary?

Makes sense, but why was there so much attention being paid to Bill NOT naming Patricia OC? We were lead to believe it was to make sure Patricia got his Lions HC salary.

I am missing something.

Thank you.

So simple math: Kingsbury HC Salary 6,000,000 - Kingsbury OC Salary 1,000,000 = Arizona still on hook for 5,000,000 of HC salary?

Makes sense, but why was there so much attention being paid to Bill NOT naming Patricia OC? We were lead to believe it was to make sure Patricia got his Lions HC salary.

I am missing something.

AZ would still be on the hook $6M. No offset unless he gets a HC position.

I don't think that's why BB didn't name Patricia OC. Remember, BB also didn't name a DC. It's a quirk BB has had for years.

Kingsbury is gone, confirmed
Seems fair, only 1/3 of the team was on IR at one point including most of the Oline, Hopkins was suspended for 6 games, and has a munchkin QB, must be his fault.

I wonder will DeMeco Ryans go back to his old team, the Texans, as HC? He’d be a prime candidate surely? They lived him there, rightly and he has a real connection with the team.
That Franchise is the Texas Jets now.

DeezPees retired as the Atlanta DC. I'd be unsurprised if the Falcons targeted Mayo or Steve B.

AZ would still be on the hook $6M. No offset unless he gets a HC position.

I don't think that's why BB didn't name Patricia OC. Remember, BB also didn't name a DC. It's a quirk BB has had for years.

I would really like to understand this whole thing better. I think Nick Caserio was named director of personnel and not
GM and that, in effect, made it easier for him to go to Houston because they wanted him as their GM (pretty sure).

It's no secret that Jerod Mayo has a possible future as an HC, but if Bill named him his DC then I don't believe that Cleveland would
be able to interview him unless they interviewed him as an HC candidate. As it stands, he's free to leave if they want him. Seems
quite civilized even if it causes problems for us.

Maybe I'm off-base, but it appears that Bill might be skirting the conventional approach to help his Assistants advance and not
trying to do anything nefarious as is regularly suggested. I believe he's been quoted on this topic numerous times and he always seems happy
for his guys that climb the ladder elsewhere as long as it's "done the right way". Which I'm a bit hazy on.

If people think he was angry with Josh McD for taking some guys with him to LV, then it didn't appear they have any issues when they
were yukking it up on field before the game two weeks ago like best buds. Those departures impacted us in a big way, but Bill didn't appear to
harbor a grudge like he did with Fredo.

Back