Blow to the head for a QB

Joe

Registered Loser
Reaction score
When was this rule instated? I can't find it anywhere.

When was this rule instated? I can't find it anywhere.

Not sure...in 1980 they put in the rule that you could not swing, club or face area.

Here is kind of a evolution of the rules Over the years.

"Rules changes placed greater restrictions on contact in the area of the head, neck, and face.

Under the heading of "personal foul," players were prohibited from directly striking, swinging, or clubbing on the head, neck, or face. Starting in 1980, a penalty could be called for such contact whether or not the initial contact was made below the neck area. "

Can you link me please? I got a Raiders fan to shut up.

According to this web site, 1996.

Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback.​

Reactions: Joe
According to this web site, 1996.

Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback.​

There you go, although I wonder if that is just a clarification of the rule...anyway it was before 2001 so Raider fan does not have a leg to stand on.

I thought it was in Peyton's first year, since his head became an obvious target :coffee:

Like those cheat codes when you can enlarge your characters' heads. "Oh god damn it Peyton Manning, now I can't see what I'm doing!!"

Back