Boogeymen

I was wondering what happened to this "all world" defense tonight. Looked more like swiss cheese defense.

one of the weaknesses of cover 0 is run defense, especially against a running qb. Pats were forced to play zone a lot more tonight and it showed. this one trick pony D needs to get more diverse.

I'm not discouraged.

This was a game about match ups and our D didn't match up well against the Ravens' unbalanced line that has an extra OT, an extra blocking TE lined up as a RB and a traditional RB lined up behind Jackson. That heavy formation has the numbers and the power to blow up almost any front 7 to run inside or outside. Plus coming off their bye, the Ravens put in some extra wrinkles. Lamar Jackson played well but the way I see it, that extra heavy formation gets all the credit. I thought BB might replace a LB with another DT/DE and a CB with a S to match up better against the overload. It's an option he'll have should we meet them again in the playoffs. Just think, if our RB didn't trip at the end of the half at the goal line and if JE11 didn't fumble, that game was within grasp.

To put last night into perspective, the best defenses of all time all had at least 1 game giving up 30 or more points:
the 2000 Ravens gave up 36 in their second game of the season,
the 13 Seahawks gave up 34 in Week 5,
the 85 Bears gave up 38 in Week 13.

The Pats lost on the road last year five times: to Blake Bortles, Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota, Ryan Tannehill & Big Ben. Then won the Super Bowl. Constant improvement is a given under BB.

Yeah, this was a wake up call for the Pats. The bye week is coming at just the right time for some self scouting. The Pats will bounce back with a better OL (Wynn soon & a healthier Mason) and a healthier Edelman who hasn't been right for 3-4 weeks & Brady more in sync with the WRs. We'll be fine.

One game is not a trend. A lot of their issues were self inflicted. Critical penalties on a few 3rd downs and perhaps Baltimore deserves some credit for making a few plays. One in particular was a third down throw by Jackson, deep in his own territory, while under pressure and, on the other end, perfect coverage and a great catch.

Let's see how they do in the next 2 before jumping off a cliff.

One game is not a trend. A lot of their issues were self inflicted. Critical penalties on a few 3rd downs and perhaps Baltimore deserves some credit for making a few plays. One in particular was a third down throw by Jackson, deep in his own territory, while under pressure and, on the other end, perfect coverage and a great catch.

Let's see how they do in the next 2 before jumping off a cliff.

This is true. But as currently constituted this Boogeyman D is at a competitive disadvantage against strong power running teams. Ravens ran at will. The only time they lost momentum was when they were efforting to establish the pass.

At one point Collinsworth said average league yds before contact was 1.5. Last night Ravens were hitting at a 5.6 clip.

Haven’t looked at the horizon yet, but heavy power run teams will be a hard task to handle.

This is true. But as currently constituted this Boogeyman D is at a competitive disadvantage against strong power running teams. Ravens ran at will. The only time they lost momentum was when they were efforting to establish the pass.

At one point Collinsworth said average league yds before contact was 1.5. Last night Ravens were hitting at a 5.6 clip.

Haven’t looked at the horizon yet, but heavy power run teams will be a hard task to handle.

You and I talked about their heavy unbalanced O line last week being a problem for the Pats. From what I see, the Ravens are the only team in the league like that.

I'm not discouraged.

This was a game about match ups and our D didn't match up well against the Ravens' unbalanced line that has an extra OT, an extra blocking TE lined up as a RB and a traditional RB lined up behind Jackson. That heavy formation has the numbers and the power to blow up almost any front 7 to run inside or outside. Plus coming off their bye, the Ravens put in some extra wrinkles. Lamar Jackson played well but the way I see it, that extra heavy formation gets all the credit. I thought BB might replace a LB with another DT/DE and a CB with a S to match up better against the overload. It's an option he'll have should we meet them again in the playoffs. Just think, if our RB didn't trip at the end of the half at the goal line and if JE11 didn't fumble, that game was within grasp.

To put last night into perspective, the best defenses of all time all had at least 1 game giving up 30 or more points:
the 2000 Ravens gave up 36 in their second game of the season,
the 13 Seahawks gave up 34 in Week 5,
the 85 Bears gave up 38 in Week 13.

The Pats lost on the road last year five times: to Blake Bortles, Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota, Ryan Tannehill & Big Ben. Then won the Super Bowl. Constant improvement is a given under BB.

Yeah, this was a wake up call for the Pats. The bye week is coming at just the right time for some self scouting. The Pats will bounce back with a better OL (Wynn soon & a healthier Mason) and a healthier Edelman who hasn't been right for 3-4 weeks & Brady more in sync with the WRs. We'll be fine.

IF IF IF IF

If Dee Ford Hadn't lined up off side you would have never sniffed the SB last year and Brady would have had 3 int's and the narrative would have been Brady is done!

You're defense is not elite. Get that through your head. This is the first game you've played a decent team and you got smoked.

You and I talked about their heavy unbalanced O line last week being a problem for the Pats. From what I see, the Ravens are the only team in the league like that.

I hope so.

And hopefully someone else takes them out. Because I don’t see the answers to handle it on this roster.

IF IF IF IF

If Dee Ford Hadn't lined up off side you would have never sniffed the SB last year and Brady would have had 3 int's and the narrative would have been Brady is done!

You're defense is not elite. Get that through your head. This is the first game you've played a decent team and you got smoked.

It must suck for you that your squad blew their chance to win a SB and has zero chance of getting back this year. Yes, the Pats D is NOT the 1985 Bears, no reasonable person thought they were, but they are good enough to beat flash in the pan offenses like KC. If your squad had a D, you'd be as good as Baltimore and would have a shot to beat New England, too, but laughably, you don't.

Meh, these games happen folks.... Even to the best defenses. Even when the Seahawks had the legion of boom they had their share of games where they were shredded. 2012 when they played Stafford's Lions comes to mind. Stafford passed for over 350 yards and 3 touchdowns, Lions won that game. Seahawks shredded the Broncos defense in the Super Bowl. The best defenses can have off games. Patriots seemed to get it together after the first quarter, they were looking good through the second and third but the first quarter and last really is what killed them. Baltimore is definitely a tough team and Lamar is tough to stop. These 2 will meet again come playoff time.

Not everyone can be as good as my Colts, but don't give up on the Pats they will get there some day. :muse:

Meh, these games happen folks.... Even to the best defenses. Even when the Seahawks had the legion of boom they had their share of games where they were shredded. 2012 when they played Stafford's Lions comes to mind. Stafford passed for over 350 yards and 3 touchdowns, Lions won that game. Seahawks shredded the Broncos defense in the Super Bowl. The best defenses can have off games. Patriots seemed to get it together after the first quarter, they were looking good through the second and third but the first quarter and last really is what killed them. Baltimore is definitely a tough team and Lamar is tough to stop. These 2 will meet again come playoff time.

Not everyone can be as good as my Colts, but don't give up on the Pats they will get there some day. :muse:

Love it Tyler. Thanks.

Very kind. Someday, mabe. From your keyboard to God's ears. :grovel:

:coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Hey, I have to live in a dream world lol. We just lost to a team that you guys owned and they didn't even have their starting QB in. If we lose to Miami next weekend I may have to take vacation and not leave my house for a couple weeks.

Back