Brady retires

I think Tom Brady retired at the right time (not after another season, next year). Best of luck to the best NFL quarterback of all time. I'm glad I got to see him play, every home game, from 2000-2007 (except for one game in 2001). I also went to some of his games, including playoff games, after 2007. Have a great life, Tom!

Last edited:
can this "1 day contract" make him the highest paid QB (if extrapolated out to a normal contract) as a wink/nod that he didn't ask to be highest paid while on Pats?
(not actually hitting the real cap or anything)
don't think any of this will actually happen, but if it could be done in a way to "tweak" other QB's it could have some fun potential.
but otherwise, I'm not sentimental about that type of thing

More interesting than Brady retiring again, at least for now, is the reasoning behind why Miami sources told Adam Schefter
that they were sticking with Tua.

Two days after that report comes out Tom retires. Was it the valiant warrior realizing that his spectacular career has sadly ended
after some deep soul-searching while listening to the waves crashing on the beach? That's how it looked, complete with tears
in his eyes.

Or was it Stephen Ross saying, no way, you fucked me over when I tried to tamper with you the traditional way and ended up
looking bad, lost a first round pick and have a bias lawsuit from Flores hanging over my head. So, no thanks. A man in my
position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous.

I'm probably supposed to say something nice about Brady now that everybody is feeling all sad and runny today, but if Ross
gave the go-ahead then Brady probably would have taken the job. And it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of months
down the road they still decide to put their differences aside for a ring. And I have to admit it makes perfect sense
football-wise. Nobody would want to play them with Tom's arm and smarts and those two dominant WRs. They wouldn't lose
many if all 3 stayed healthy.

Because Brady wanted to stay close to his kids it was Dolphins or nothing and it didn't go Tom's way.

Yeah, I think I am going to refrain from any comments until his papers are sent in and he comes to Foxboro.

I will say though that 45 was his initially stated goal.

Still put up 4700 passing yards at age 45, led the league in total attempts and also completions. All with an OLine that lost 3 starters.

Was a tough year for the goat (thinking also his personal life too).

We'll see if he is good as a TV analyst or falls flat like Montana did.

A little sad, but now he can preserve his health, though I do admit I figured he would play a few more years.

I would say the divorce wasn't just about football, because why retire when the divorce isn't even a year old?

Yeah, I figured that now that the divorce is out of the way, he'd play at least one more year and take another shot at the brass ring. He still has the skills and San Francisco seemed like a good opportunity to win and to finish his career back in the bay area where he grew up - like OJ...

Selfishly, I was hoping to still have him around to watch/follow each week, but he goes out with a level of achievement that no one else will ever come close to and he can start his $375 million dollar broadcasting job tomorrow. The Super Bowl is on Fox, I wonder if he'll be in the booth.

Still put up 4700 passing yards at age 45, led the league in total attempts and also completions. All with an OLine that lost 3 starters.

Was a tough year for the goat (thinking also his personal life too).

We'll see if he is good as a TV analyst or falls flat like Montana did.
I think he is going to hate TV for the simple fact that he will feel like he should be playing. LOL. One thing for sure is he will give it 100 percent. I am interested to see if he is like Romo was in his first year and can predict plays.

I think he is going to hate TV for the simple fact that he will feel like he should be playing. LOL. One thing for sure is he will give it 100 percent. I am interested to see if he is like Romo was in his first year and can predict plays.

Tom is so competitive. The QBs who lasted in the booth were bland personalities like Aikman and Simms.
I think Brady would be better served in a pregame or halftime group, not sitting there restless watching every single play

Tom is so competitive. The QBs who lasted in the booth were bland personalities like Aikman and Simms.
I think Brady would be better served in a pregame or halftime group, not sitting there restless watching every single play
I agree.

More interesting than Brady retiring again, at least for now, is the reasoning behind why Miami sources told Adam Schefter

Two days after that report comes out Tom retires. Was it the valiant warrior realizing that his spectacular career has sadly ended
after some deep soul-searching while listening to the waves crashing on the beach? That's how it looked, complete with tears
in his eyes.

Or was it Stephen Ross saying, no way, you fucked me over when I tried to tamper with you the traditional way and ended up
looking bad, lost a first round pick and have a bias lawsuit from Flores hanging over my head. So, no thanks. A man in my

I'm probably supposed to say something nice about Brady now that everybody is feeling all sad and runny today, but if Ross
gave the go-ahead then Brady probably would have taken the job. And it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of months
down the road they still decide to put their differences aside for a ring. And I have to admit it makes perfect sense
football-wise. Nobody would want to play them with Tom's arm and smarts and those two dominant WRs. They wouldn't lose

Because Brady wanted to stay close to his kids it was Dolphins or nothing and it didn't go Tom's way.
First, nice Godfather reference.

Second, I am glad the Miami thing never came to fruition. Even though I know he sought it out and was complicit, I think for him to have actually joined the Dolphins would have caused irreparable damage to his New England legacy. At least with me it would have.

in his eyes.

One thing about the timing - was Brady talking to Miami AFTER it was clear the Patriots weren't going to extend him? If BB basically told Tom they're only doing 1-year deals and no long term extension, then Brady puts his house up for sale and talks to Miami, that is pretty different I think. I don't blame Brady for making plans during 2019, if he wanted to stay but the Pats told him after 2018 it wasn't going to happen.

in his eyes.

Interesting theory. I do think he wanted Miami but also probably San Fran. The thing is its only Feb. 1, the SB has not even been played. GMs and owners have a lot to hash out before FA in March. This announcement just like last year seems rushed to me. I don't know why as he does not have Gisele hanging over his head. I said in an earlier post that I think this time of year with the SB looming, he gets kind of down and antsy and decides to retire IMO prematurely. There is no way he has let enough time pass to make this decision clearly. I do think it is still likely he says he is coming back in March/April if some team makes him offer. It was always going to be like this IMO for him with regards to retirement, his competitive drive is just insane.

Back