Brady retires

The olive branch has been extended. Will Brady put his ego aside and accept it? I hope so.

I hope so too. It would be a nice ending to everything after all the uneasiness since he left.

re: a Brady TV career.....I would think TFB would best rep himself in an in-studio pre/halftime/post game "panel" format than he would in a "Romo role"

Tony started off authentic-as-all-hell, candid, ex-player in-game prescient, "situationally aware" and then morphed into the NBA-like "we need to hump the QB as the only team star-player" to pull in the rube-TV viewers, then tell them what their lying eyes should be seeing and hold them over for the next commercial break

on another TFB aspect ---- wouldn't it be a hoot if Tom & Gisele decide to re-marry for the kids sake and Bob Kraft could yank Elton John out of retirement to serenade the reuniting couple w/ a modified version of this classic at their reception......

And it seems to me you lived your later NFL life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the deflate-gate rain set in
And I would've liked to known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
But your NFL career legend never did

sing it w/ me gang!! 😁
Preach!

Tampa Bay is looking at a $35 million cap hit which can be reset to 11 mill this year and 24 mill next year if Brady signs a deal at minimum for 2023.

That would tie TB to the Bucs if he were to develop Farveitis down the road.

If Brady signs said contract I think it's an indicator he's not coming back.

It would also preclude the one day deal back here.

@SkiptoMyLou
I'm sure he and kraft are fine
he cut out on his teammates during the season to go to the wedding.
I don't believe Kraft and Brady ever had any issue. I could be wrong but just from reading the tea leaves, I think they have always been tight.
When Bill came to see Brady after the game in NE 2 seasons ago, I think everything was buried and they have been throwing verbal bouquets at each other ever since. It has been really nice. For me, I want everything to be smooth for the shear fact that the 3 of them can publicly show up at events to tout the greatest dynasty of all time especially when budding orgs like KC think they own the place. I want Bill, Bob and Brady there for the smack down reminder. LOL

I had to watch that Superbowl again v the Falcons.

I've watched it 1000 times, and I still can't believe it. Even when we got back to 28-9, Ghost missed the PAT and we went for an onside kick next play which we didn't even get! You just cannot believe we could come back from that. Tom's drives, 420 yards I think by the time White scored the TD to set up the 2-pointer to tie it up. Hightower's strip-sack, Flowers bursting through blockers to sack Ryan, fling him backwards and drive them from FG range which would have been game over if they had gotten a FG.

How lucky were we??? 20+ years we had this trio of owner, coach and QB who delivered something that will never be repeated.

As they said on the Rich Eisen show, every year we knew we were going to the AFCCG. It was just a question of who we would face. Every year, we knew we'd win 12 or so games.

I still shake my head at all this. if we never win another one, I'll still die a happy man.

Last edited:
Great article here.

It’s apparent now that what NFL viewers observed in real time was a great champion struggling with vulnerability as his sports immortality ran bang into his human frailties. And it finally caused him to accept that, sometimes, that’s just how it goes. “I’m 45 years old, man. There’s a lot of s--- going on. So you’ve just got to try to figure out life the best you can,” he said when he came back to training camp.
You hope that what Brady felt sitting on that sand dune filming his retirement announcement was a sense that he had figured his life out. You hope that he has finally laid down his all-in-ness and can go on peaceably to less rigid and obsessive pursuits — such as fishing with his son on a Sunday, a simple and commonplace pleasure in the week of an ordinary middle-aged man.

Thank you. I love Sally both as a writer and a person. She does a wonderful job with this piece on Brady.

I hope she is right, and that he can find some peace in his life. We will never witness someone like him again with his competitive drive and commitment to succeed, despite not having the off the chart physical tools. I think that’s why I have always admired him so much and continue to be his fan. His life story has always resonated with me, because he was never picked to be the best or even to be a starter in the NFL given his draft selection. Of course Michigan Dave can also shed light on just how much he had to persevere in college at Michigan when he was so far down on the depth chart.

I will continue to root for him in his life and truly hope that he knocks it out of the park at Fox.

My father spent his entire life as ad diehard Pats fan throughout some of the worst teams to ever step on the field. He never got to see Brady play or to experience his team being the premiere team in the league. I will be forever grateful for getting to live through 20 years of dominant football. Thank you Tom.
My uncle was a huge Pats/Sox fan. He died in early 2000. :shake:

WP wants me to subscribe in order to read the article. Bummer.
When Tom Brady went fishing with his boy on a Sunday night midseason, you sensed the close could be coming. There was peace in the picture, and peace was not something the perpetually discontented Brady ever sought during his triumphalist, over-striving, tablet-hurling 23 NFL seasons. There was peace, too, in the simple, subdued self-made video he released announcing his retirementalone on a beach early Wednesday morning. Note that the sun was coming up on him, not going down.
“Good morning, guys. I’ll get to the point right away: I’m retiring, for good,” he said.
Brady leaves football seeming more emotionally worn out than physically, which is perhaps his most revolutionary act. It may be a more important legacy than his all-time passing records and forklift-heavy pallet of trophies. He’s the only player to win seven Super Bowls — and four of them came after his 37th birthday, proving that it’s possible to change the pace of how you age. His self-determined walk away into the sunrise is a victory over a ruinous game that would have stolen the jersey off his back years ago had he not been so calculatedly self-protective. Was he ruthless and selfish toward the end in seeking to maximize his talents, options, value and control? Certainly, but Brady is no different in that from any other league power broker, unusual only in that he wore pads and not a suit.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady announced his retirement on Feb. 1. Brady won a record seven Super Bowl championships during his career. (Video: Reuters)
His body had plenty of athletic life left in it: After his stutter-step retracted retirement last season, he still finished third in the league in passing yards in 2022 and made the playoffs at 45. What got him was all the unseen, unphysical burdens that can settle on a man’s mind and tense shoulders in his 40s: a cleave in his marriage, parenting concerns with three children, a crypto lawsuit, too many business obligations.
Tom Brady announces he is retiring from the NFL ‘for good’
Throughout his career, he had to win on schooled awareness and precise arm accuracy rather than innate gifts, and that meant he had to train more tediously than other greats. As he told me years ago, “If I don’t really work at it, I’m a very average quarterback.” He had to be a conservationist who measured every morsel he put in his mouth, and he gauged every activity by whether it was an “input” or “output” to competitive energies. The years of inherent rigidity in all that training probably drained him more than game days did. It was difficult for him to relax, and he found it impossible to coast.
His main driver, he always said, was “insecurity.” His broadcaster friend Jim Gray recalled how Brady once talked with a pro golfer who had played a poor round and strolled off saying, “Sometimes that’s just how it goes.” Brady couldn’t believe the guy’s acceptance. “There’s no that’s just how it goes,” he said. At least, not for him. The game taxed all of him. “For me, football is a challenge, emotionally, spiritually, physically and mentally,” he said. For most of his career, he loved that about it. But it came with a personal price tag.
In a pregame news conference before his last Super Bowl in February 2021, Brady mused on retirement and said: “I think I’ll know when it’s time. … I think I’ll know, and I’ll understand that I gave everything I could. … You put a lot into it. I don’t think I can ever go at this game half-assed. You know, I got to put everything into it. So when I put it all out there and I feel like I can’t do that anymore — I don’t feel like I can commit to the team in the way that the team needs me — then I think that’s probably time to walk away.”
His exhaustive, obsessive work at the smallest details allowed him to transfer his excellence from the New England Patriots to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and lift yet another Lombardi Trophy and Super Bowl MVP award. What he brought to the Bucs’ culture was the example that “the little things mattered,” his former coach Bruce Arians asserted. What Brady did was show the Bucs “why he wins,” running back Leonard Fournette observed.
But the commitment clearly wasn’t there this season; he finally declined to give all of himself. His unprecedented 11-day break from training camp, as it turned out because he was dealing with his impending divorce — and a shockingly visible weight loss that left him gaunt — should have been greeted with the humane and common-sense recognition that he was suffering badly. Instead, expectations remained the same, and he tried to shoulder them without once publicly admitting that he couldn’t possibly play with his usual relish for the grind.
Tom Brady’s retirement is greeted with praise, jokes and so many goats
But you could see it in the taut, thin face, the profane outbursts of frustration on the sideline. Brady had remarked in a podcast interview after winning that seventh Super Bowl: “Sports is very real time. What you see on that field from me is really me; it’s not an actor. This is my life. These are my real emotions. This is real joy. This is real anger. This is real disappointment. And those things are a really vulnerable place to be.”
NFL Quarterback Tom Brady announced his retirement on Feb. 1 after 23 years in the National Football League. (Video: Tom Brady)
It’s apparent now that what NFL viewers observed in real time was a great champion struggling with vulnerability as his sports immortality ran bang into his human frailties. And it finally caused him to accept that, sometimes, that’s just how it goes. “I’m 45 years old, man. There’s a lot of s--- going on. So you’ve just got to try to figure out life the best you can,” he said when he came back to training camp.
You hope that what Brady felt sitting on that sand dune filming his retirement announcement was a sense that he had figured his life out. You hope that he has finally laid down his all-in-ness and can go on peaceably to less rigid and obsessive pursuits — such as fishing with his son on a Sunday, a simple and commonplace pleasure in the week of an ordinary middle-aged man.

OK, so let's look dispassionately at his record:

• sacks recorded: NONE
  • interceptions (by him): NONE
  • Game winning Field Goals: NONE
  • Left-handed TD passes: NONE (I have more than him*)
  • Years in which he didn't win the Superb Owl: LOADS
  • Successes at having gomezcat banned from the Planet: NONE

*Playing semi-contact at school lunchtime with friends using a Nerf ball.

The prosecution rests, Your Honour

re: a Brady TV career.....I would think TFB would best rep himself in an in-studio pre/halftime/post game "panel" format than he would in a "Romo role"

Tony started off authentic-as-all-hell, candid, ex-player in-game prescient, "situationally aware" and then morphed into the NBA-like "we need to hump the QB as the only team star-player" to pull in the rube-TV viewers, then tell them what their lying eyes should be seeing and hold them over for the next commercial break

on another TFB aspect ---- wouldn't it be a hoot if Tom & Gisele decide to re-marry for the kids sake and Bob Kraft could yank Elton John out of retirement to serenade the reuniting couple w/ a modified version of this classic at their reception......

And it seems to me you lived your later NFL life
Like a candle in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the deflate-gate rain set in
And I would've liked to known you
But I was just a kid
Your candle burned out long before
But your NFL career legend never did

sing it w/ me gang!! 😁
Broadcast career has been parallel to his playing career- over-hyped with a propensity to shit the bed

Back