Brag about your pets

gomezcat

Sniffing Ms Cat's knickers
Reaction score
Website
gomezcat.blogspot.com
This is Pooki, who has lived with us for four years. She is a rescue and the vets think she's about seven.

She lived with a cat hoarder (we were told with 50 other cats) before being removed. She had a really bad flea allergy and was so stressed that she actually fainted on going to the vets at the rescue place.

We saw her, half hidden, in her pen. Our hearts melted and we really wanted to take her home.

A couple of days later, we did. She meowed all the way back on the train.

On her first night with us, she hid. We went to bed and heard a massive crash; she had knocked over our TV, but thankfully there was no harm done.

Since then, she has become more confident, but does hide more quickly than other cats. She likes to go out a couple of times a day and has a small territory (it's safer for cats to go out in the UK due to fewer predators).

Anyway, feel free to post!

Attachments

• 20201122_095756.jpg
    20201122_095756.jpg
    840.3 KB · Views: 5
awwwwwwww! this is a wonderful thread, thank you gomezcat! Your Pooki is lovely and I am happy she has you and your Mrs. ❤
I adopt rescues too. it is so wonderful to gradually win their trust and watch them come out of their shells to be loving, confident creatures. i will post pics of the two who own me in a bit. i have only about 11,944 pictures to choose from so it's slim pickings! 😄

awwwwwwww! this is a wonderful thread, thank you gomezcat! Your Pooki is lovely and I am happy she has you and your Mrs. ❤
I adopt rescues too. it is so wonderful to gradually win their trust and watch them come out of their shells to be loving, confident creatures. i will post pics of the two who own me in a bit. i have only about 11,944 pictures to choose from so it's slim pickings! 😄
Thanks. I also have an embarrassing number of pics of her!

So here's my girl Cinnamon Roll inside the house, giving Larry Houdini the look you give jehovas witnesses when you answer the door. 😄
They are both exotic shorthairs, and rescues. She is 7 1/2. I got her when she was 2 1/2. I got Larry in May. He's about 2 1/2. Serendipitously, i found out that the rescue picked the exact month and day to use as his birthday as my beloved Persian rescue cat Sunflower (his original name, i called him Sunny) had. 20201122_185515.jpg

Great thread, gomezcat! I don't have any pictures to share, but I will share a story.

I'm more a dog lover myself and have had numerous rescue dogs over the years. One of my favorites was a German Shepherd named Jody. He was a terrific gaurd dog. He would snarl and bare his teeth if anyone approached my home. Most people were afraid to even get out of their vehicle unless they knew what I knew which was that . . . his bark was worse than his bite.

While he could act vicious and may have been if he had ever been put in the position of trying to protect us, Jody was a loving soul. Our cats could eat out of his bowl. He didn't care. If we left, he would search for one of the outdoor cats and try to trap it in his jaws which always lead to howling cats who feared for their life. However, he never hurt a single one. He would trap them because he saw tires as the enemy and wanted to protect the cat.

One day, a bird got into my house and the more I tried to get that thing out; the more it swooped from room to room. Can't say that I wouldn't act the same way if a crazy lady was trying to bat at me with a broom. So, I called Jody in and instructed him to get that bird. He took one leap, got the bird, carried it out the door, and walked about 100 feet before releasing that bird to fly away unharmed.

I've often thought that Jody may have made a good K9 dog because I think he could been easily trained to attack when needed while otherwise remaining calm and gentle.

We’ve got 2 rescues, Max who was found living under a trailer and Maia, who’s family gave her up as a puppy because she got into the Christmas presents while her previous owners were out. Her original name was Banana (wtf) which we didn’t like so I named her Maia which happens to be banana in Hawaiian. These 2 bring so much happiness into our lives. Max is the husky and Maia is the lab/husky mix.
d07d329fa2e3c4c8a2bcf2f7dde7217d.jpg

416894b69b4aa05a0844240c730f82bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to share this one, my lab Kane who died from a brain disease. I was completely devistated when we lost him and could not hold back the tears. He was a wedding gift and nothing could ever match it.
60ee77a1a931e8b83d31842d06667e95.jpg

Our animal companions are a never fail way to remember that, no matter what all else may be going on, they are always there for us. I like the old saying, "I wish I were the person my dog thinks I am."
I would love to attach the zillions of pix I have of my serial kitties - have been a cat custodian since girlhood - but couldn't pick any particular one. So I'll just let my Avatar speak for all. She (Miabelle) is one of a pair of ferals we adopted last year. She and her brother are tuxedos (like Sylvester), but I have also lived with and loved jet black kitty, tiger striped kitty, giant orange kitty, fluffy creme sickle kitty - all of which are hopefully now awaiting our reunion on the other side.

See, I am the person my dogs think I am. It's called integrity, which is loyalty, in action to one's values. And a small part of that is the way I've always treated my pets.

Anyway, my best friend Seamus and my wonderful girl BreeZ. Couldn't ask for better dogs or a better breed than boxers. RIP guys. I miss you tons.

Seamus

Seamus 15.jpg

Seamus Attacking Melissa.jpg

BreeZ

P5300026.jpg
Breeze 2.jpg

Last edited:
We’ve got 2 rescues, Max who was found living under a trailer and Maia, who’s family gave her up as a puppy because she got into the Christmas presents while her previous owners were out. Her original name was Banana (wtf) which we didn’t like so I named her Maia which happens to be banana in Hawaiian. These 2 bring so much happiness into our lives. Max is the husky and Maia is the lab/husky mix.
d07d329fa2e3c4c8a2bcf2f7dde7217d.jpg

416894b69b4aa05a0844240c730f82bf.jpg

Lovely pics. I take it that they enjoy playing in the snow (?).

When we retire, we hope to move somewhere more dog-friendly and get one. Also, our cat is not a sharer.

With the kind assistance of our Fearless Leader, here are a couple pix of the new kidz in town.

Attachments

• thumbnail_Miabelle.jpg
    thumbnail_Miabelle.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_Kittens.jpg
    thumbnail_Kittens.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_Little Buddy.jpg
    thumbnail_Little Buddy.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 4
This is Rocky. He’s a rescue dog and came from a kill shelter in South Carolina. There is a volunteer network called the rescue highway or something close to that where people transport these animals north and hand them off to one another until they reach adoption outfits in this area. Rocky was initially adopted by a couple of ladies who returned him because he was a little nuts shall we say. My son took him on and gave him the patience and love he needed. He’s a lovable dope. I call him the 70 lb lap dog because that’s where he wants to be and where he usually will end up. We think he’s a brown lab mix but can’t figure out the mix part of it. He’s the best boy and so gentle.
A67BB04F-F57E-4C43-96F0-8532C6E3918F.jpeg

Back