Breaking down the offense

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
It can be hard to see what's going on behind what we see. I thought this was one of those rare examples of "pop -NFL analysis" that really brought something useful to the table.

Phil Perry comes to Matt Cassell with questions about two particular plays from the Raiders game in terms of what's going on with play selection and ability to audible at the line:

View: https://youtu.be/uUcVH8k579k

It can be hard to see what's going on behind what we see. I thought this was one of those rare examples of "pop -NFL analysis" that really brought something useful to the table.

Phil Perry comes to Matt Cassell with questions about two particular plays from the Raiders game in terms of what's going on with play selection and ability to audible at the line:

View: https://youtu.be/uUcVH8k579k

Nice.

Much of what is discussed on that podcast has gone through my brain the last few weeks. Admittedly, I have felt like I was making excuses for the offense so I have stayed pretty quiet about it except with my son who has to listen to me when stuck in the cart with me :D.

No game planning = No Belichick and he is part of the team. Part of the talent of the team. This seems lost on so many. I SMH when people say the talent sucks and they haven't included the GOAT HC in that assessment. BB is like having a "HOT" goalie every game that can win you games. It isn't stealing wins. BB and the goalie are ON THE TEAM. They count.

No audibles = No Mac Jones brain and his brain is part of the team (remember Cam's brain?). The "process" has disallowed the offense from making the appropriate changes at the LOS which is a LARGE part of Mac Jones' skill set and why he is successful. He will make those adjustments in real games.

I don't gamble on sports beyond the occasional "case of beer" bet with buddies but Vegas knows what they are doing and the 3 point opening spread (the only spread that counts) is telling. The professionals either aren't as high on Miami and/or as low on the Pats as the mediots would lead us to believe. I happen to think Miami is a real threat this year so that 3 point spread is even more telling to me.

Last edited:
The offense looked like they normally do in preseason games. Some steady, marching scoring drives (2 if we're counting the credit to the offense), some boneheaded mistakes, and in search of an identity.

The offense looked like they normally do in preseason games. Some steady, marching scoring drives (2 if we're counting the credit to the offense), some boneheaded mistakes, and in search of an identity.
I hope that's the case... A hobbled Jones will not be helpful though 🤞

Lack of effort. Play calling, too. 4th and 1 and we get stuffed 2 yds behind the LOS. Embarrassing.

Lack of effort. Play calling, too. 4th and 1 and we get stuffed 2 yds behind the LOS. Embarrassing.
I am hesitant to jump on the shitty Play calling band wagon so early given I wanted McDaniels out of here last year (and the year before that and the year before that…) but that was some shitty playcalling today. Who thought Montgomery on third and two at a critical time on what amounted to a high school level dive right play was a good idea?

I am hesitant to jump on the shitty Play calling band wagon so early given I wanted McDaniels out of here last year (and the year before that and the year before that…) but that was some shitty playcalling today. Who thought Montgomery on third and two at a critical time on what amounted to a high school level dive right play was a good idea?
Miami has never been a good measure of what this team is or will be. We've all seen some of the strongest rosters we've ever had struggle down there, and nothing really has changed. That 1st drive ends in a TD, and the entire momentum of the game is different. We'll know a lot more by week 6.

Jones still has issues having enough zip on his ball. It was evident today.

Kid is really tough especially after that vicious blindside hit that wrecked his back in the 2nd quarter. The OLine is going to ruin Mac Jones.

Kid is really tough especially after that vicious blindside hit that wrecked his back in the 2nd quarter. The OLine is going to ruin Mac Jones.

LOL.

Way to show 100% you have no idea what you are talking about.

But you can you figure out why you have no idea what you are talking about. Take your time. Google that play. Watch it a few more times and then get back to us.

If you STILL can't figure it out, I will tell you.

Im not knocking Jones. I think that he's the best possible TB12 replacement. He does need refinement, but, I'm not saying that he sucks. The oline isn't that great...I agree. Both sides need work.

The Bourne freeze out is confusing but then I remember Fat Matt is involved, the same moron who sat his best cornerback for absolutely zero reason in a Superbowl game. I am convinced there is zero football or teammate reason Bourne is frozen out except that Fat Matt has some bizarre decision going on again.

The Bourne freeze out is confusing but then I remember Fat Matt is involved, the same moron who sat his best cornerback for absolutely zero reason in a Superbowl game. I am convinced there is zero football or teammate reason Bourne is frozen out except that Fat Matt has some bizarre decision going on again.
The rumor is that Bourne never bought into FattyMatty and Judge. He was used to Shanny and McD. I actually believe the hype.

On Sunday we are up against our old friend Brian Flores. This will be 2 weeks in a row going against his defense only this time he will be on the sideline.

The rumor is that Bourne never bought into FattyMatty and Judge. He was used to Shanny and McD. I actually believe the hype.
By all reports he has sucked from the beginning camp, so I guess that means he immediately decided not to buy in? If that's the case then F him, be a professional. I think it's more about him buying into his own hype and being butt hurt with having to earn his spot all over again after the Pats got Parker and Thornton.

On Sunday we are up against our old friend Brian Flores. This will be 2 weeks in a row going against his defense only this time he will be on the sideline.
Just lucky to not be facing Watt.

Jones doesn’t suck. He going to be a starter in the NFL for probably ten plus years barring injury.
That said, he’s never gonna be a top ten or even 12 QB. He’s gonna have to have guys around him who can elevate the offense and allow him to be efficient. He’s gonna need a good defense and run game so he’s not put in situations where he’s got to press. He’s gonna have to have a good coordinator.
It’s unreal that in this day in the NFL they have no offensive coordinator. It’d be like Eisenhower fighting WW2 without Patten and Bradley. It comes down to BB’s ego, and it’s just the latest of many instances where it’s hurt the team.
It’s gonna be a long season. The talent and coaching simply are not in place to allow for a correction on offense.

I'm far from going all chicken little because of yesterday, but the most concerning part of the day was the mental mistakes from the OL group.

It's hard to know whether the protection was called wrong or individuals missed correct calls, but, clearly, there have been problems all summer which
continued in Miami. That's gotta get straightened out STAT.

At first glance, my feeling was that our issues were mostly mental rather than physical. We've still got the power game if we feel like using it.

I thought Trent had several problems and Cole Strange missed one. Inability to play sharp mentally leads to negative plays and a lack of offensive continuity and
the appearance that we are a bunch of slappies.

Get everybody on the same page and Tyquan in the lineup and we are going to smash some people. There were some glimpses in between all the car wrecks.

Things (mostly obvious) I would like to see more of on the offense:

• More presnap motion to allow Mac to see defensive alignments
  • More play-action passes particularly with 2TEs
  • Every game at least 3+ screen passes or quick outs to Jonnu Smith and allow him to use his speed and strength to outrun LBs or bulldoze CBs
  • A lot more Hunter Henry staying in to block until the Pats keep Mac clean and off the turf for an entire game.
  • No more wide zone crappy stretch runs asking slow power OTs to get out wide.
  • More Kendrick Bourne. Meyers and Bourne are the 2 best receivers followed by Parker. Agholor can be traded.

Last edited:
Back