Breaking down the offense

Things (mostly obvious) I would like to see more of on the offense:

• More presnap motion to allow Mac to see defensive alignments
  • Every game at least 3+ screen passes or quick outs to Jonnu Smith and allow him to use his speed and strength to outrun LBs or bulldoze CBs
  • A lot more Hunter Henry staying in to block until the Pats keep Mac clean and off the turf for an entire game.
  • No more wide zone crappy stretch runs asking slow power OTs to get out wide.
  • More Kendrick Bourne. Meyers and Bourne are the 2 best receivers followed by Parker. Agholor can be traded.
Bourne was benched. Bill did not say why. Not that he would but still ... head scratching.

Bourne was benched. Bill did not say why. Not that he would but still ... head scratching.

Reminds me of the same head scratching benching of Malcolm Butler for zero good reason. Common denominator is Fat Matt involved in both inexplicable benching situations of Butler and Bourne. Bourne is easily one of their 2 best receivers

Reminds me of the same head scratching benching of Malcolm Butler for zero good reason. Common denominator is Fat Matt involved in both inexplicable benching situations of Butler and Bourne. Bourne is easily one of their 2 best receivers
He was benched because he wasn't drinking the FattyMatty/Judge coaching koolaid.

Nobody knows about Bourne, but I would guess some of his public comments may have something to do with it. Not all but some. On Butler, this is one the worst takes I have ever heard. Butler left NE to get a big contract and made known his happiness at being gone. Curiously, during that time he never really had anything to say about the supposed no reason to bench him. In the couple of years after that SB he had no comment and that says more than any other speculation.

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think: "But it's already broken"

By all reports he has sucked from the beginning camp, so I guess that means he immediately decided not to buy in? If that's the case then F him, be a professional. I think it's more about him buying into his own hype and being butt hurt with having to earn his spot all over again after the Pats got Parker and Thornton.
The clip from after the game showed a man that knows what is going on, why and how to fix it. I think he will.

The clip from after the game showed a man that knows what is going on, why and how to fix it. I think he will.
I hope so, he didn't exactly act like that guy during the game if you believe Phil Perry, who doesn't have an axe to grind like Curran. KB has seemingly done such a complete 180 this year it makes me wonder if he's going through something personal.

In case you haven't seen/heard this, it's around the 20min mark, I think I queued it up correctly. Could have been just a heat of the moment thing.

View: https://youtu.be/PWYzVEyTJjc?t=1200

I'm far from going all chicken little because of yesterday, but the most concerning part of the day was the mental mistakes from the OL group.

It's hard to know whether the protection was called wrong or individuals missed correct calls, but, clearly, there have been problems all summer which
continued in Miami. That's gotta get straightened out STAT.

At first glance, my feeling was that our issues were mostly mental rather than physical. We've still got the power game if we feel like using it.

I thought Trent had several problems and Cole Strange missed one. Inability to play sharp mentally leads to negative plays and a lack of offensive continuity and
the appearance that we are a bunch of slappies.

Get everybody on the same page and Tyquan in the lineup and we are going to smash some people. There were some glimpses in between all the car wrecks.
I'd go a step further:I think it was mostly pretty good, but the car wrecks draw the eye, stick in the memory, and change the scoreboard.

Consistency, especially with mental performance, can be the last thing to develop. And only THEN can you really start to play faster, stop thinking and just go dominate.

💯
  • Every game at least 3+ screen passes or quick outs to Jonnu Smith and allow him to use his speed and strength to outrun LBs or bulldoze CBs
For a game or two to make teams adjust to it and plan around it, which will force them to open other things and/or play left handed. Don't overdo it or it's an easy pick-6 if they jump it.
  • A lot more Hunter Henry staying in to block until the Pats keep Mac clean and off the turf for an entire game.
Mixed on this.
You need to have some of this, but overall I agree.
  • More Kendrick Bourne. Meyers and Bourne are the 2 best receivers followed by Parker. Agholor can be traded.
Yes to the first part, no to the last part. One of the best things for this team would be if Agholor is one of the top 2 WRs.
If Bourne is treated as a WR4 he is going to put hurt on some teams. If treated as a WR1 he'll pull a Tyson and fade into Bolivian.

Nobody knows about Bourne, but I would guess some of his public comments may have something to do with it. Not all but some. On Butler, this is one the worst takes I have ever heard. Butler left NE to get a big contract and made known his happiness at being gone. Curiously, during that time he never really had anything to say about the supposed no reason to bench him. In the couple of years after that SB he had no comment and that says more than any other speculation.

No sir. He broke team rules, was late to meetings and didn't show good overall effort in practices that week.
I assume the Bourne thing will play out over time, but my guess is that it's basically what Chevs says here, with maybe some issues of buy-in. Bourne was positive in camp last year, but his performance in camp & PS wasn't exactly eye opening, if memory serves. But dude seems to be a gamer.

I thought the Butler thing was a solved mystery, though? Head injury that wasn't disclosed to avoid having him go into concussion protocol and give him a chance to play in the Superbowl, but team docs wouldn't clear him and/or he couldn't perform in practices leading up to the game?

Maybe I'm making that up, but it sure seems like a real thing I heard, and the ONLY thing that makes any sense with him re-signing here, especially when Patricia was back, combined with never speaking out about it when he was openly happy to have left NE.

I hope so, he didn't exactly act like that guy during the game if you believe Phil Perry, who doesn't have an axe to grind like Curran. KB has seemingly done such a complete 180 this year it makes me wonder if he's going through something personal.

In case you haven't seen/heard this, it's around the 20min mark, I think I queued it up correctly. Could have been just a heat of the moment thing.

View: https://youtu.be/PWYzVEyTJjc?t=1200

Thanks for posting this.

Could be something personal or professional. There are 53+ men on the team and there will ALWAYS Be something with a couple of them. No way to avoid it. You manage it.

One more I totally forgot but obvious to add is also to add more play action. The inside power run game was actually going well, and then you sprinkle in some play action, that would really make 12-personnel (2TE) a lethal formation for the Patriots. Inside power run domination coupled with play-action and feeding Jonnu and Hunter in the middle of the field.

Far as Bourne goes, it made me think of Charlie Weis interviewing Nate Burleson (pretty sure) at the combine. Burleson had been doing a blog about the draft process which had
generated some attention and Weis asked him how that was going. Nate told him really well. Charlie says "Good, but when we draft you we're going to tell you to shut the fuck up."

Bourne is a live wire on a team that could use one in the post-Gronk years. Every good team needs a couple of outgoing personalities to play class clown and relieve the tension now and again. Kendrick seemed to be that guy, had a great season, bought in completely and seemed to fit in well. Then, it started to occur to me, he was loving the sound of his own voice and I wondered if he should maybe pump the brakes a little, but a star was born. The media kept asking him stuff this offseason and he kept talking, but that was just sort of a feeling. I notice that kind of thing and when he was telling Belichick stories like he'd been here for 10 years I got concerned he might be a problem. We don't tell tales out of school.

I think the staff may have been trying to tell him, in their own special way, that he wasn't Jerry Fucking Rice because he had one good season and that ruffled his feathers. He was enjoying himself
and didn't take well to the tough love treatment. If he's missed meetings and that sort of thing, then he deserves to get a sound spanking, but we need the guy and it's not like he's out there
committing crimes or anything.

Let's hope it all blows over. We need all hands on deck.

He wasn't benched -- he was the 5th WR in the depth chart, which is why he only played two snaps.

That said, he showed way more in one play than Parker did all game.

I'd go a step further:I think it was mostly pretty good, but the car wrecks draw the eye, stick in the memory, and change the scoreboard.

Consistency, especially with mental performance, can be the last thing to develop. And only THEN can you really start to play faster, stop thinking and just go dominate.

There was one play where Miami had Jaelan Phillips out in coverage and we picked on him for a good gain. I thought "Well, that was a nice call", but I
don't know why we didn't test the backup corner more than we did. I

Mac made a mistake tossing up a jump ball for Devante over Howard. Sure, it should have been a flag, but Mac couldn't know
that before he released it. Maybe some history there, but it wasn't a great way to start the season.

I hated the limited pitch count Barmore is STILL on. What are we thinking? He needs to play. I just don't understand his usage.

There was one play where Miami had Jaelan Phillips out in coverage and we picked on him for a good gain. I thought "Well, that was a nice call", but I
don't know why we didn't test the backup corner more than we did. I

Mac made a mistake tossing up a jump ball for Devante over Howard. Sure, it should have been a flag, but Mac couldn't know
that before he released it. Maybe some history there, but it wasn't a great way to start the season.

I hated the limited pitch count Barmore is STILL on. What are we thinking? He needs to play. I just don't understand his usage.

Agree. Play the best players. Don’t act like what crappy teams do and play overpaid or traded-in guys over the best players. Barmore is better than crappy Godchaux. Bourne is better than Parker

Far as Bourne goes, it made me think of Charlie Weis interviewing Nate Burleson (pretty sure) at the combine. Burleson had been doing a blog about the draft process which had
generated some attention and Weis asked him how that was going. Nate told him really well. Charlie says "Good, but when we draft you we're going to tell you to shut the fuck up."

Bourne is a live wire on a team that could use one in the post-Gronk years. Every good team needs a couple of outgoing personalities to play class clown and relieve the tension now and again. Kendrick seemed to be that guy, had a great season, bought in completely and seemed to fit in well. Then, it started to occur to me, he was loving the sound of his own voice and I wondered if he should maybe pump the brakes a little, but a star was born. The media kept asking him stuff this offseason and he kept talking, but that was just sort of a feeling. I notice that kind of thing and when he was telling Belichick stories like he'd been here for 10 years I got concerned he might be a problem. We don't tell tales out of school.

I think the staff may have been trying to tell him, in their own special way, that he wasn't Jerry Fucking Rice because he had one good season and that ruffled his feathers. He was enjoying himself
and didn't take well to the tough love treatment. If he's missed meetings and that sort of thing, then he deserves to get a sound spanking, but we need the guy and it's not like he's out there
committing crimes or anything.

Let's hope it all blows over. We need all hands on deck.
Yup. Agreed...

Back