Breaking News we got Stallworth..

Adams85

Reaction score
From ESPN.com, Stallworth will be a Pat for the next 6 years.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfl/index
BREAKING NEWS Alert
Stallworth, Patriots agree to deal
Free-agent receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to terms with the Patriots on a six-year contract, a league source tells ESPN.com's Michael Smith. Financial terms are not yet known. The Dolphins, Titans and Eagles also were seeking to sign Stallworth.

Wow.

SIX years...thats a shock. Keep that hammy healthy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615

Source: Stallworth to get $12M guaranteed from Pats

The Patriots continued their offseason spending spree, adding wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to their 2007 haul, a league source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Stallworth will sign a six-year contract. The deal is believed to be worth a little more that $30 million with close to $12 million guaranteed.

Stallworth, who played last season in Philadelphia after being acquired from the New Orleans Saints, also was being courted by the Eagles, Dolphins and Titans.

Stallworth, 28, had 38 catches for 725 yards and five touchdowns for the Eagles in 2006. A first-round choice of the Saints in the 2002 draft, he has 233 career receptions for 3,516 yards and 28 touchdowns in 68 games, including 44 starts.

League and union officials are investigating a Philadelphia Inquirer report that Stallworth is in the NFL's substance-abuse program, sources from both parties told ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Citing unnamed sources, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Monday that Stallworth is a participant in the league program, and that he could be subject to suspension if he suffered a repeat violation of its conditions. The newspaper also reported that a breach of the program's confidentiality agreement can warrant a league fine, and NFL and NFL Players Association officials began to seek out possible sources for the leak on Monday.

The Patriots have been busy this offseason, adding coveted linebacker Adalius Thomas, ranked No. 2 on ESPN.com's list of free agents, as well as Dolphins kick returner/receiver Wes Welker, tight end Kyle Brady and backup running back Sammy Morris.

Senior writer Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Len Pasquarelli contributed to this report.

Ya baby..........12MM guaranteed is the real deal, nevermind how the 30MM is structured.

And we still have 2 #1 draft choices....WOW

This seems like an appropriate spot for this

freeagents.jpg

Looks like Tommy got his gun...... between Stallworth and Welker. And if Gaffney plays like he did at the end of the season when he really seemed to settle into the system........ yee haa !

<<
who is the odd man out at WO??
>>

Chad Jackson for now if he doesn't heal up mighty fast.

Stallworth
Welker
Gaffney
Caldwell

Jackson (IR)

Brown (maybe retired)

other guys
Childress
Kight
Shelton (?)

Looks like they carried 8 WRs last season.Is this typical? Assuming Jackson is on IR next season, and Brown retires, there will be a couple of roster spots open for WRs. Maybe not much playing time, but roster spots.

I think if Caldwell continues his dropsies in the preseason he'll be gone. Brown will not retire. I think he's got one more season in the tank and he's got to want to be back seeing all these moves the Pats are making. They were 1 or 2 dropped catches (thanks Reche) or one defensive stop away from the Super Bowl, and I think the FA moves make it very clear the Pats intend to be back there this season.

southcarolina on 03-11-2007 at 09:40 AM said:
Stallworth
Welker
Gaffney
Caldwell

Jackson (IR)

Brown (maybe retired)

other guys
Childress
Kight
Shelton (?)

Looks like they carried 8 WRs last season.Is this typical? Assuming Jackson is on IR next season, and Brown retires, there will be a couple of roster spots open for WRs. Maybe not much playing time, but roster spots.

They usually carry 5 or 6 WRs. I would bet that they open the season with Stallworth and Caldwell as the starters, and Gaffney and Welker off the bench.

The 5th spot is up for grabs. If he were healthy and improving his game, Chad Jackson would be the natural choice, but I have a feeling he'll start the season on the PUP at minimum, if not the IR and/or cut outright. Not sure we've seen enough of the younger guys (Childress, Kight) to warrant them staying around. Personally I hope it's Troy. The little old man can still do some stuff out there both as a receiver and returner, not to mention on defense.

People are talking about how much the Pats are spending this off season. I don't get it. What do they expect us to save our money for? We know how much we've got and we know how much the draft will cost us. What are we supposed to save the money for? If anything, they're doing the right thing. I'm starting to believe that most people don't know how the cap works. I don't see the Pats in cap trouble over the next few years at all.

<<
People are talking about how much the Pats are spending this off season. I don't get it. What do they expect us to save our money for?
>>

There is a misconception that because the Pats have often refused to pay big contracts to individual players that they are really cheap.

This is patently untrue. With the exception of last year they have spent right to the cap every year for at least the 4 or 5 years prior to that. And last year the fact they did not spend like that and didn't give Branch the big money had to do with future cap management from what I understand.

Those same people are typically watching their teams sit at home in the playoffs because their teams don't know how to manage the cap as well as the Pats do, and don't have the "team" philosophy the Pats do.

<<
wonder where Moss will fit in?
<<

Naughty Mikey naughty ! ROFL

At least this signing will hopefully put to rest all the damn Moss threads :thumb:

ESPN is reporting that we have 9 million left. I don't have a link but it was reported at another board.

Stud LB - check
2 veteran WR - check
blocking TE - check
RB to replace Dillon - check

Getting younger on defense - hopefully on draft day. 10 picks, 2 in 1st round. I see them going mainly defense on draft day.

Pass me the kool aide!

Back