Broncos' Players Vote To Skip OTAs; Other Teams Joining Them

Citing COVID concerns, the Broncos' players like the prospect of a prolonged vacation. The NFLPA is flexing on behalf of its union members. It's their right.
In their statement they said the quality of play last year (with skipped off season) was better than ever across the league. I take issue with that.
I'd also point out significant injuries were up 16% in the NFL in 2020 due in large part to not enough run up to playing games.
So far Tampa Bay and Seattle have joined the Broncos in opting out of OTAs.
Patriots? Practice makes perfect. Mask up.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1382035919667089409

View: https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1382114157097582597

View: https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1382045945999855617

Citing COVID concerns, the Broncos' players like the prospect of a prolonged vacation. The NFLPA is flexing on behalf of its union members. It's their right.
In their statement they said the quality of play last year (with skipped off season) was better than ever across the league. I take issue with that.
I'd also point out significant injuries were up 16% in the NFL in 2020 due in large part to not enough run up to playing games.
So far Tampa Bay and Seattle have joined the Broncos in opting out of OTAs.
Patriots? Practice

View: https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/13821141570975825

All these statements simplified: Hell no we won't go. No reason so let's just say COVID!!!

I could not agree more Chevss. These guys need to get back to practice ASAP. The development of rookies was severely hampered last year due to no off-season. And like you cited, sig. injuries were way up. I really hate this. These guys played an entire season with masks and protocols and now they don't want to do OTAs where they are not traveling at all? This IMO really hurts us because we have the best coaching in the league so I really hope our guys don't opt out.

Oh.

After actually reading the statement, this appears to be about NFL politics and the union VS the league. It's a stand by the union until they get what they want.

Such garbage.

You’re telling me that college and high school football players can practice daily without an issue, but these crybaby pros can’t?

Such whiny bitches. Try dealing with real issues .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ugh...but some will report as scheduled

Ey8t9CKWUAQ4TFZ

Whereas the NFL wants to return to in-person work after the first two weeks of workouts and is aiming to have some on-field practices during mandatory minicamp, the players union is pushing to move all offseason work to a virtual forum regardless of its attendance status. On Tuesday, the NFLPA therefore sent a letter to the players urging them not to participate in voluntary workouts until the dispute is settled.

So far, five teams have at least partially followed this recommendation. The Patriots are joining the Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions, all of whom released similar statements over the past two days.

The NFL’s offseason workouts are split into different phases, with the first one set to begin next week aimed at strength and conditioning. With the exception of the mandatory minicamps that usually take place in late May or early June all over the league, all of those phases are voluntary in nature.

That said, some players do have workout bonuses in their respective contracts tied to attendance during those sessions. The Patriots, for example, have eight players with workout bonuses in their respective contracts — ranging from quarterback Cam Newton’s and special teamer Brandon King’s $100,000 to cornerback Michael Jackson’s $15,000.

Whether or not they will ultimately be among those Patriots not covered by the “many” part of the statement above remains to be seen, though. King, for example, has claimed that he would report when called upon to do that by head coach Bill Belichick.

At least the Pats aren't staying away as a group; it's an individual thing.

Under a plan the NFL sent to clubs today, most in-person activities, including on-field work, won’t begin until May 17.

According to the NFL memo, the three phases of workouts now look as follows:

• Phase 1 (April 19-May 14): Four weeks instead of two; no in-person meetings or on-field activity; voluntary weight room workouts with up to 10 players present; no more than 20 players in the facility at the same time.
  • Phase 2 (May 17-May 21): One week instead of three; on-field workouts without restriction as agreed upon in the CBA (e.g. no contact or live tackling); all coaches permitted on the field; meetings and classroom instruction on a virtual basis; no more than four hours of activity per day; no more than two hours of activity per day.
  • Phase 3 (May 24-June 18): Four weeks as normal; in-person meeting and classroom instruction; 10 days or organized team practices (OTAs) of no more than six hours per day including a maximum of two hours daily on the field; all coaches allowed on the field; 7-on-7s, 9-on-7s, 11-on-11s allowed as agreed upon in the CBA (e.g. no contact or live tackling); includes mandatory minicamp.

On top of the offseason workouts as laid out in this plans, teams are also allowed to conduct a three-day rookie minicamp during either the first of second week after the draft. This camp will be followed by a rookie developmental program starting with Phase 2 of voluntary work on May 17 that is allowed to run until July 2.

The rookie program looked drastically different last year, which means that first-year players will have a better start into their pro careers in 2021.

While the league did make some modifications to its workout schedule, the NFLPA responded by doubling down on its recommendation that players skip voluntary work this offseason.

Last edited:
Back