Buying a second tablet, shuld I go with a 2nd Samsung or get an Apple?

I have a question for you....if you are reading on your iPad using the Kindle app, how can you even tell the difference between Apple and Android? Don't you just 1.) Open the book you want to read 2.) Read a page 3.) swipe to the next page?

I do that on my $50 10" android tablet and if I didn't already know what I had, it could be a tablet from any manufacturer, really.

It's a combination of screen size and device weight. The Samsung I like to use for reading electronic comics is 10.2 and weighs quite a lot with the cover on.

Yeah, music and pictures aren't a big deal for the most part...but cloud is infesting EVERYTHING. I work for an international software company that is going all-in on the cloud. We have some pretty big customers with a lot of sensitive information in their databases that seem to be willing to jump right off of that cliff and just throw their shit up there, consequences be damned. A lot of companies do not have a cloud solution and are actively seeking one out.

It actually astonishes me that the push to move basically everything into the cloud is taking traction so quickly and seemingly without a ton of concern.
For a lot of companies, it's actually cheaper than paying for a large data center and the staffing. No one really cares much if your HR system gets hacked, or even accounts payable / accounts receivable.

For the most part, financial institutions are not jumping on board yet, at least not with their main business systems, (mostly due to security concerns). There's no doubt it's the future, though.

I happen to be an Apple ecosystem guy. My 2013 rMBP, the family's 6 iPhones, my son's 2007 White MB (hand me down from me), Apple TV and of course an iPad all work seamlessly together. The OS is superb, I always know where each is and the condition of each. They all just work.

Think about that 2007 MacBook for a moment. I paid $999 for it 8 years ago. I have added 2GB (1 chip, $28), changed out the HD for a solid state drive ($99) and replaced the battery once ($104). It runs perfectly well. It is speedy and does everything he needs it for except hard core gaming (it never did).

Batteries for i-Devices are EASY to replace. Follow one of the abundant online videos for the first one and the rest are a breeze and cheap to replace. The "tools" are $2.95 on amazon.

Build quality is the best in the business and you can generally count on them being highly reliable for years and years.

The shear amount of Apps available is ridiculous. Additional storage? I pay $0.99/mo for 50GB online and it just keeps getting cheaper. Each of my Apple devices has access to it - seamlessly and without having to remember passwords.

Am I an Apple fanboy? Yeah, sure I am. But I am not usually a follower. I almost always research my purchases to death. Often I research them so long I give up.

Not so with Apple stuff. It just works.

I need more info on this.

We are an iFamily. But to be honest I just don't know what's available for storage options. Admittedly storing to a PC is not as simple with iStuff, so our phones are typically maxed out with pic/vid/music.

In the past I've been hesitant to use the cloud because stories were out there of uploading and not being able to delete.

I don't know. In this age of hi tech I already feel like Uncle Grandpa out of the loop. When you don't see something functionally in person you just get hints and whispers that there are solutions out there, but you don't necessarily know how to go about them.

World is too digital.

We are an iFamily. But to be honest I just don't know what's available for storage options. Admittedly storing to a PC is not as simple with iStuff, so our phones are typically maxed out with pic/vid/music.

In the past I've been hesitant to use the cloud because stories were out there of uploading and not being able to delete.

I don't know. In this age of hi tech I already feel like Uncle Grandpa out of the loop. When you don't see something functionally in person you just get hints and whispers that there are solutions out there, but you don't necessarily know how to go about them.

World is too digital.

Dropbox is pretty sweet. You get up to 2GB cloud storage for free. You can pay $9.99 for 1TB of space, which is pretty decent, IMO. I only use the storage for comic and books, so am not even close to using all of my free storage yet. So far, Dropbox has worked seamlessly with both my iPhone and Android tablet. When I want to read something, I open Dropbox and navigate to what I want to read. Works like a charm. Basically nothing is stored in residence on the tablet except for a few apps.

Been using Dropbox for 5+ years now and it's always worked as expected.

Don't trust Dropbox with anything, personally.
So I use Spideroak which is freaking awesome. It's encrypted and the company doesn't even know your password. If you lose it, you lose everything.

Don't trust Dropbox with anything, personally.
So I use Spideroak which is freaking awesome. It's encrypted and the company doesn't even know your password. If you lose it, you lose everything.

I only have shit I don't care if anyone steals in Dropbox, though I just checked out Spideroak and it does look pretty killer. I think I might have to check it out for some of my other stuff.

Just from the brief look I just took, it seems a bit like carbonite.com. Do you have experience with that site? I know it's been around for quite a while now, relatively speaking.

One of the guys I work with has an android phone and tablet.

He ran into a problem with them being compatible with each other.

It turns out that the android OS is "open" and the device manufacture can decide which version of the OS to use and even modify it if they wish.

it turns out his two devices didn't run the same revision of the OS and so he had issues sharing everything between the two devices.

I don't know how common this is, but it's something to keep in mind when you chose any given piece of hardware. Check to see what they do regarding the OS.

One of the guys I work with has an android phone and tablet.

He ran into a problem with them being compatible with each other.

It turns out that the android OS is "open" and the device manufacture can decide which version of the OS to use and even modify it if they wish.

it turns out his two devices didn't run the same revision of the OS and so he had issues sharing everything between the two devices.

I don't know how common this is, but it's something to keep in mind when you chose any given piece of hardware. Check to see what they do regarding the OS.

It's not super common if you're buying flagship devices. But if you're buying a low-end Android tablet from China (for example), there's a chance it's running an outdated version of Android. This comes with a host of other issues.

This isn't so much a limitation of the hardware as it is companies cutting corners to put out cheap products. There are the odd flagship devices from the big names that will stop getting major updates, but typically not before the life of the device (phones specifically) is nearing an end anyway.

World is too digital.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

I believe that these three links will get you started.

The first is a description.

The second is how to set it up.

The 3rd is plan pricing. The $0.99/month for 50GB is the smallest option.

PM me if you would like to have a deeper discussion. It can be a little daunting at first blush but quickly becomes intuitive. My mom uses it.

I only have shit I don't care if anyone steals in Dropbox, though I just checked out Spideroak and it does look pretty killer. I think I might have to check it out for some of my other stuff.

Just from the brief look I just took, it seems a bit like carbonite.com. Do you have experience with that site? I know it's been around for quite a while now, relatively speaking.

No experience with carbonite, but know they have cash on hand since they advertise quite a lot.
Spideroak has been great for me so I've never had to look elsewhere. Works great with both my macbook and my pc.

Yeah, music and pictures aren't a big deal for the most part...but cloud is infesting EVERYTHING. I work for an international software company that is going all-in on the cloud. We have some pretty big customers with a lot of sensitive information in their databases that seem to be willing to jump right off of that cliff and just throw their shit up there, consequences be damned. A lot of companies do not have a cloud solution and are actively seeking one out.

It actually astonishes me that the push to move basically everything into the cloud is taking traction so quickly and seemingly without a ton of concern.

The demand for storage is insatiable. "Big Data" is driving it as well as Joe consumer who wants to access his whole music collection on his iPhone.
The growth / demand is into the exabytes worldwide and not slowing down. This is really what drives the cloud, because storage is expensive and smaller companies as you note can't afford to keep expanding their data centers. BTW I work in the storage and memory field so I see this trend firsthand.
I would never put anything sensitive in Dropbox by the way, there are huge security concerns. Our IT department won't let us use it at all, and even though we're in the storage business, we aren't using third party, we have internal cloud storage accessible only through the firewall.

I am resistant to using the cloud for anything. I like having possession of my things. I don't like putting them somewhere where they could disappear like vapor. I don't like losing rights to ownership, and just having a license to look at or hear something - that could be revoked. And internet service is spotty in NH, so I don't always have access.

It was $479 a month ago :wave:

LOL, I guess I'm a cheapass. I just don't understand why Apple products are so expensive (probably why I only have an iPhone that AT&T sold me for $1 a couple years back). I mean, I like it...it's been a good phone, but there is no way I would drop the kind of cash that they want for these things retail. Especially new.

Back