Cam Newton released!

Seth Wickersham has an article on this and it's really an article on how BB has never made 'CYA' decisions, (Cover Your Ass). A good finish to the article. Basically, what we all know, Bill has balls of steel.

I've spent much of the past year and a half working on a book on the Patriots. And after 20 years of covering Belichick and the team, one of the things I've realized is that, no matter how unknowable the coach seems to be, there are overlooked moments throughout his career in which he reveals exactly who he is. There was a moment from 2009 when he uttered one of the most autobiographical statements of his career. He was in one of his most natural places -- standing before the team, explaining the game, pointing out mistakes and taking responsibility for them, commanding a room better than anyone gave him credit for -- and he said:

"You can say a lot of things about me as a coach. And I'm sure you do, and so do a lot of other people. But I'm just telling you guys something: one thing I'm not is scared."

Eleven years later, Belichick still isn't scared. And he won't be, regardless of how this decision shakes out, regardless of how complicated it was -- or wasn't.

Yeah I don't think the decisions were all that complex. Mac won the job.

Cam was let go either because he wants to be a starter somewhere or Bill doesn't want the former league MVP looming over the rookie's shoulder. Or both.

It is time for Mac to put his leadership stamp on the team.

And all this will be meaningless when Bill re-signs Cam next week. :coffee:

And all this will be meaningless when Bill re-signs Cam next week. :coffee:
Boom. Mic drop. Lol

Can't we all just celebrate the fact that Cam is no longer on our team? :dance::celebrate:

What about natural immunity? Cam had covid so he has antibodies which quite frankly are better then the vaccine ..... I listen to the Yale Drs I work with

This is why I said this belongs in the political forum. There are various views some are being shut out.... not gonna lie Yale is far more liberal then me....

But still love ya and I believe in science as well

~Dee~
"There's plenty of speculation for the reasons he was released. His anti-vax stance is a reason that is getting prominently mentioned.
I can't help but wonder how many other players will be released today in part for the very same reason." Chevss454

My post above wasn't meant to be political at all and I'm sorry if some people took it that way.
I was speaking from the football pov rather than the science pov.
The best ability is availability and NFL rules being what they are regarding COVID or contact with COVID, some teams will lose players bc of these rules during the year.
Urban Meyer stupidly stated some of his decisions were bc of the vaccine. I doubt he's the only one.

BB had plenty of reasons to choose Mac, mostly bc Mac far outplayed Cam.
My point being that I don't think for a second that BB's decision was based on his vax status but that some other players' futures could be affected.

Last edited:
He was pictured with a ring on his ring finger, but I guess no official confirmation. Not that it matters.

He's been photographed wearing it for a couple of months.

Boom. Mic drop. Lol

Can't we all just celebrate the fact that Cam is no longer on our team? :dance::celebrate:

I wonder could we request that you make your mind up? When Cam was released you were moaning at Bill releasing him as we don't have a backup.

Seth Wickersham has an article on this and it's really an article on how BB has never made 'CYA' decisions, (Cover Your Ass). A good finish to the article. Basically, what we all know, Bill has balls of steel.

Seth Wickersham can eat a dick.

I wonder could we request that you make your mind up? When Cam was released you were moaning at Bill releasing him as we don't have a backup.
Actually, you need to go way back to the off-season, when I bemoaned the fact that Bill did NOTHING to upgrade the worst QB room in the league except adding Jones. So here we are. Mac is our starter which I am thrilled about but he is a rookie and rookies get hurt as evidenced by the fact that he is already in a knee brace. We have ZERO behind him and that is 100 percent Bill's fault. If something should happen to Mac and we are starting Hoyer for any length of time, our season is over.

Actually, you need to go way back to the off-season, when I bemoaned the fact that Bill did NOTHING to upgrade the worst QB room in the league except adding Jones. So here we are. Mac is our starter which I am thrilled about but he is a rookie and rookies get hurt as evidenced by the fact that he is already in a knee brace. We have ZERO behind him and that is 100 percent Bill's fault. If something should happen to Mac and we are starting Hoyer for any length of time, our season is over.
This is quite the windmill you're tilting at.
Name me all the quality backups Brady had behind him, ever.

1) Drew Bledsoe
2) Doug Flutie
3) Jimmy Garoppolo, probably.

That makes up 5 seasons of Brady's 20 years in New England. Maybe I'm missing your posts lamenting Ryan Mallet or Rohan Davey or Kevin McConnell as backups.

This is quite the windmill you're tilting at.
Name me all the quality backups Brady had behind him, ever.

1) Drew Bledsoe
2) Doug Flutie
3) Jimmy Garoppolo, probably.

That makes up 5 seasons of Brady's 20 years in New England. Maybe I'm missing your posts lamenting Ryan Mallet or Rohan Davey or Kevin McConnell as backups.
Exactly my point Tommy. When Brady started as a second year player, he had Drew and also Damon Huard too whom you left off after Drew was traded. Mac is starting as a rookie and has Brian freaking Hoyer.

Back