Cannon traded to Houston

I think we expected this. $6.3M cap space added. He's from Odessa, TX and Caserio knows him well.
Legal tampering begins tomorrow

Patriots get: 109th overall pick 147th overall pick 187th overall pick
Texans get: Marcus Cannon 120th overall pick 158th overall pick 196th overall pick

This was to be expected given that Cannon gone would save the Pats a good chunk. Plus the addition of Trent Brown meant either Cannon or maybe Wynn would walk. Seems BB did him a solid by sending him to his home state.

Thanks for everything, 61!

Agreed.
Plus BB got something for a guy who wasn't in the plans for 2021.

Now, on to Watson!

I remember that Marcus was rated as a 1st to upper 2nd round pick before the news of his cancer was made public.
I thought that the Patriots got a steal by taking him in the 4th round.
He gave us a solid RT for years.

I think we expected this. $6.3M cap space added. He's from Odessa, TX and Caserio knows him well.
Legal tampering begins tomorrow

Patriots get: 109th overall pick 147th overall pick 187th overall pick
Texans get: Marcus Cannon 120th overall pick 158th overall pick 196th overall pick
Am I missing something here? I know we are saving money by trading him. Swapping picks in rounds in rounds 4, 5, and 6 doesn't seem like a great return for a very good RT. It's better than nothing I guess but I was just hoping for more.

Well it’s in BB’s DNA to get rid of good players.

Cannon is near the end of the line though, and Im really gonna miss cheering for him. Great story. Wish he’d been back for one more year though.

Am I missing something here? I know we are saving money by trading him. Swapping picks in rounds in rounds 4, 5, and 6 doesn't seem like a great return for a very good RT. It's better than nothing I guess but I was just hoping for more.
Close to $7 million. Yes. He was going to retire last year, he listed his house. He was going to get released if the Texans didn't trade for him. It was a great trade. It worked out well for all three of them.

Well it’s in BB’s DNA to get rid of good players.

Cannon is near the end of the line though, and Im really gonna miss cheering for him. Great story. Wish he’d been back for one more year though.
Was it BB or Pioli that said it was better to move on from a player a year to early rather than a year too late?

I guess the idea is that hurts to see a guy leave when he still has something left, but it hurts more to pay a guy who is useless. Especially if a guy is one of your binkies.

But BB was never about what a guy did in the past, it was about how much he could help the team NEXT year or years relative to the cost of keeping him.

Cannon hasn't been in Foxboro in over a year and he had no plans to return bc of COVID. He's also considered retiring.
Trading him was the best way out for the Pats and since he's a Texas guy he was ok with giving it a try in Houston.

The Pats are lucky they got something for him. I thought he'd retire. Once a guy starts talking about retirement and dreaming of a nice easy life, more times than not the guy can't get back that old commitment. I'll be mildly surprised if he makes their team.

Cannon hasn't been in Foxboro in over a year and he had no plans to return bc of COVID. He's also considered retiring.
Trading him was the best way out for the Pats and since he's a Texas guy he was ok with giving it a try in Houston.

The Pats are lucky they got something for him. I thought he'd retire. Once a guy starts talking about retirement and dreaming of a nice easy life, more times than not the guy can't get back that old commitment. I'll be mildly surprised if he makes their team.
And I'm sure Bill and he have talked and I imagine that retirement was mentioned. Perhaps the Texas destination destination is to give Marcus a chance to perform at homeish before packing it in, thereby allowing the Pats to at least get something. It is complicated beyond all ken to understand Bill's mind and his moves.

Cheers.

Back