CB Shaun Wade?

High ceiling is right, though. Was just looking back - going into last year he was #7 on Kiper's big board. He was a first team all-american, and defensive back of the year for the Big 10.

That said, I saw some draft sites saying he projected to safety in the NFL, which is interesting. He ran a 4.43 40, and his play speed seems fine. Can his hips be that bad, considering the success he had at slot corner? Other notes I saw was that he was a strong/plus defender against the run and showed good ball skills. So far in preseason he's played 25 passing snaps, allowed no receptions, and he picked off the pass the only time he was targeted.

I hope we don't need to play him immediately, for sure. But it seems like it's upside talent on the cheap.

The Ravens used a 5th this year.
We're giving them a 7th next year which = an UDFA this year.
Plus a 5th in 2 years which = a 7th this year.

So basically a 5th for 2 7ths. BB got the better trade value but I don't know about the player yet.

So basically a 5th for 2 7ths. BB got the better trade value but I don't know about the player yet.

If he turns out into another JC Jackson/Jon Jones type players, I wonder how badly will the Ratbirds take this fleecing...

I wonder if this is because J. Jones has been hurt.

He's depth only. If BB were trying to replace one of our frontline starters, Wade wouldn't be the droid he'd be looking for.

Last edited:
On one Ravens forum, a poster indicated hearing murmurs he hasn't had the best attitude, possibly due to being buried on the Ravens depth chart. And that could also be part of it if he's on the bubble to make the roster. Maybe just a numbers game where you move a player for an asset rather than cutting someone, similar to the Michel trade.
This sounds logical...

Is this logic by Wimpy from the Popeye cartoon?

To my mind at least, there is definitely some sort of unusual circumstance involved in this transaction. There are multiple possibilities, but I don't really care as long as it works for NE. and, I think it might.

To my mind at least, there is definitely some sort of unusual circumstance involved in this transaction. There are multiple possibilities, but I don't really care as long as it works for NE. and, I think it might.
Too good to be true?

I'm curious: What are some possibilities that you're seeing? A serious case of shooting his way out of town seems unlikely. I don't think there's any sort of trusting love between the franchises (coaches or FOs). Are you seeing anything beyond this kid potentially being one of BB's pet guys who he loved in the draft, but he couldn't pass on Barmore, Perkins, and Stevenson when they fell into his lap?

That's kinda what I was thinking - maybe he had him rated as a 3rd rounder or something, but behind those three. When he saw him buried on the Ravens depth chart he saw the opportunity and still considered sending the 5th and 7th to be a bargain, and less than he would have been willing to pay on draft day for a high-ceiling guy who he could potentially just redshirt and stash for next year when McCourty is a year older and Jackson and Gilmore's contract statuses get stickier.

I'm curious: What are some possibilities that you're seeing? A serious case of shooting his way out of town seems unlikely. I don't think there's any sort of trusting love between the franchises (coaches or FOs).
I don't know. Belichick hired Ozzie Newsome and he's still there from the Cleveland days. I wouldn't be surprised if they are friendly, if not the coaching staffs.

I just noticed CBS did a "grade the trade" and gave the Pats an A- to Baltimore's B. They generally thought it was a good move for both teams.

For comparison, Pats got an A to the Rams' B+ for the Sony Michel trade.

I'm curious: What are some possibilities that you're seeing? A serious case of shooting his way out of town seems unlikely. I don't think there's any sort of trusting love between the franchises (coaches or FOs). Are you seeing anything beyond this kid potentially being one of BB's pet guys who he loved in the draft, but he couldn't pass on Barmore, Perkins, and Stevenson when they fell into his lap?

That's kinda what I was thinking - maybe he had him rated as a 3rd rounder or something, but behind those three. When he saw him buried on the Ravens depth chart he saw the opportunity and still considered sending the 5th and 7th to be a bargain, and less than he would have been willing to pay on draft day for a high-ceiling guy who he could potentially just redshirt and stash for next year when McCourty is a year older and Jackson and Gilmore's contract statuses get stickier.
Yeah, I really don't know, which bugs me just a bit ( despite my cavalier proclamations that I don't care😂)...but , It's hard for me to believe he's not part of some larger plan Bill has.

I don't know. Belichick hired Ozzie Newsome and he's still there from the Cleveland days. I wouldn't be surprised if they are friendly, if not the coaching staffs.
They are absolutely friendly. Now, Bill and Harbaby these days? Not so sure. I do emember reading in several places that when Harbaby applied for the Ravens job, Bill recommended him highly. Of course, then Harbaugh did what the Harbaughs do when they lose to someone. He whined about "the cheaters" and refused to accept any fault whatsoever for his team's gag job. They're real stand-up guys.

Back