Celtics

No, Wiseman is a project and was only 19 years old 2 years ago with a ceiling that is leaps and bounds above Looney's, super star potential. He was never going to be a starter out of the gate on a champion pedigree kind of team like that but still played more than Looney when he was on the floor, and was vastly outplaying him. He was supposed to be the anchor for the next generation of GSW teams. I mean he was the 2nd pick overall, you don't typically give up on that type of an investment this quick, especially for a guy you could have just signed instead. Maybe they think he's just too injury prone or there's something with his attitude I dunno. Looks like the deal is going to fall through anyway, Payton couldn't pass his physical.

Problem with Wiseman is he’s clueless defensively on the court. Zero defensive awareness and a sieve on defense. Yes he’s young but not a good sign that the Warriors gave up after burning a 2nd overall pick on him.

Problem with Wiseman is he’s clueless defensively on the court. Zero defensive awareness and a sieve on defense. Yes he’s young but not a good sign that the Warriors gave up after burning a 2nd overall pick on him.
I think it's something else, either with his attitude and/or injury proneness. Poole was horrid on defense and it took him over 2 seasons just to be barely serviceable, and they still gave him a big extension. Even counting Wiseman, Poole still has the worse DRating on the team. Every team goes after Poole when he's on the floor.

Last edited:
I think it's something else, either with his attitude and/or injury proneness Poole was horrid on defense and it took him over 2 seasons just to be barely serviceable, and they still gave him a big extension. Even counting Wiseman, Poole still has the worse DRating on the team. Every team goes after Poole when he's on the floor.

agree Poole is also a terrible defender. Big contract that will look worse over time if this kid can’t start or play major minutes because his defense is so bad

It's unbelievable how good the Celtics look with the starters out. They are like a well oiled offensive machine. The ball movement is excellent. Nobody holds the ball to long. They make quick decisions. i hope the starters are watching. That's how they need to play to hang a banner.

It was a fun game but that's just not how the NBA works unfortunately, at least not in the regular season. They need their numbers to reach All NBA and get their max/supermax money. Tuesday night was a bunch of players fighting for playing time against a Bucks team that is probably having a let down game playing against a B team. And of course what did them in at the end Tuesday night? Grant trying to dribble out of pressure instead of passing. That's the last guy you want putting the ball in the floor(well, besides Brown). And the C's have the best Offensive Rating in the NBA, so it's not like the offense is struggling with the starters, but it can be better.

I'm just hoping they move the ball in the playoffs like they did early in the season, when it becomes more about winning than about stats. I thought Tatum was a lot better too when it was Smart/White/Brogdon bringing it up the floor instead of him doing it. The offense just moves faster.

Last edited:
Jayson Tatum broke the All Star scoring record with 55 points...

Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum finished the game with a game-high 55 points, setting a new All-Star Game record. Tatum was named the MVP of the game.

“It means the world,” Tatum said when asked about the significance of beating the record.

“You think of all the legends and great players to play in this game and in all honesty, records are meant to be broken,” Tatum said on the TNT broadcast after the game. “So, I’ll hold it for as long as I can but I’m certain someone will come along in a couple of years and try to break it.”

Jayson Tatum broke the All Star scoring record with 55 points...
Cool that he did it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that it seems to mean so much to him - I'd love to have a guy who did it and blew it off because it wasn't a game that counted - but that's a basketball thing.

I love the beauty and skill of basketball, but no game is as truly a team game as football. I'm not sure there's a sport in the same class in terms of how much it relies on TEAM.

185 - 174 :jester:

In fairness to the NBA, they're far from alone in having a joke of an all star game.

185 - 174 :jester:

In fairness to the NBA, they're far from alone in having a joke of an all star game.
The only sport who's All-Star game resembles a real game is baseball and even that is compromised to an extent. At least the NFL had the good sense to stop playing the Pro-Bowl

all star games - and the attempts at "Skills" competitions are mostly a disaster. just get rid of them.
if there's no defense involved - defense that requires physicality, aka Hockey, football, Basketball - it's going to be a joke. I watched like 5 mins of all star game and changed back to the XFL game

The only sport who's All-Star game resembles a real game is baseball and even that is compromised to an extent. At least the NFL had the good sense to stop playing the Pro-Bowl
Yep. Which is funny because MLB is augmenting the rules in a manner detrimental to the game, IMO.
all star games - and the attempts at "Skills" competitions are mostly a disaster. just get rid of them.
if there's no defense involved - defense that requires physicality, aka Hockey, football, Basketball - it's going to be a joke. I watched like 5 mins of all star game and changed back to the XFL game
I like the HR derby, dunk contest, etc. far more than the AS games themselves. But I want to see All Stars at least participating in those events.

I didn't watch the slam dunk contest but I did see a few of Mac McClung's dunks and they were awesome. But Mac McClung isn't an AS. Hell, he hasn't even stepped on an NBA court this year. If your actual AS talent refuses to take part, end the event. Find something else to do.

Yep. Which is funny because MLB is augmenting the rules in a manner detrimental to the game, IMO.

I like the HR derby, dunk contest, etc. far more than the AS games themselves. But I want to see All Stars at least participating in those events.

I didn't watch the slam dunk contest but I did see a few of Mac McClung's dunks and they were awesome. But Mac McClung isn't an AS. Hell, he hasn't even stepped on an NBA court this year. If your actual AS talent refuses to take part, end the event. Find something else to do.
Slam Dunk contest was great... when they first started it and the stars would do it. now no one wants to do it.
and during the Pro Bowl "skills", that best catch or whatever they called it was just a waste. the one guy did cool stuff (st. brown?) then his competition - was it guy from buffalo? was totally lame. My kids did more challenging catch attempts jumping into the pool on a summer day then his lame act.

Slam Dunk contest was great... when they first started it and the stars would do it. now no one wants to do it.
and during the Pro Bowl "skills", that best catch or whatever they called it was just a waste. the one guy did cool stuff (st. brown?) then his competition - was it guy from buffalo? was totally lame. My kids did more challenging catch attempts jumping into the pool on a summer day then his lame act.
Yeah, I offer up my critique but the truth is, none of these leagues can win back my spectator support for their ASG and accompanying events. I'm in my mid-40's and should still be at least a little interested, but nope. If the ratings were good for the NFL skills and drills or the NBA's events then kudos to them (but I doubt it).

JJ Redick was in diapers when the Bad Boys Pistons went back-to-back by basically beating the shit out of their opponents. Bill Lambier was the most hated guy in the league. Guessing probably too young to remember Pat Riley's Knicks teams from the early 90's as well. Riley used to have his teams start the second half by fouling everybody because he knew the refs wouldn't catch them all.

Back