Celtics

Play out the season. It could turn out great-we just have to play the games!

UPDATE: Celtics clinch 7th seed after losses by Charlotte, Indiana​

renderTimingPixel.png

News
The Pacers and Hornets both lose.
The Celtics are now locked into the 7th spot.
They will host Charlotte, Indiana or Washington Tuesday night at the Garden.
If they win, they are the in the playoffs as the 7-seed.
If they lose, they host the 9-10 winner for the 8-seed.

Congratulations to Kevin Garnett, our newest Naismith Hall of Famer!​

• r/bostonceltics - Congratulations to Kevin Garnett, our newest Naismith Hall of Famer!

Good. Need a reset with that team. It has zero culture and zero balls.
Kowtowing to the f’ing Nets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm not a huge (or even a small) basketball fan, but if 2 of your big 3 are out, wouldn't most teams lose (excepting the one with LeBron James)?

It's official. Ainge steps down and he's replaced by Brad Stevens.
Hearing Mark Jackson is in consideration to be the coach
I wouldn't hate that. Scal worked under him in Golden State.

The Athletic.

Next Celtics coach? What happens to front office under Brad Stevens? Here’s what we know​

GettyImages-1321319342-1024x683.jpg

By Jay King and Jared Weiss Jun 3, 2021
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

Danny Ainge has retired. Brad Stevens has left the bench to run the front office. A new coach is on the way as the Celtics move on from a disastrous season looking to reshape the roster and the team’s identity.

Let’s explore what just happened and what happens next.

Why did Danny Ainge leave?​

Ainge said he started thinking about his next step in life after experiencing a heart attack in May 2019. A couple of months ago, he said his instincts told him it was time to move on from his position with the Celtics. The team’s ownership group started to map out a succession plan, which ultimately led to the hiring (promotion?) of Brad Stevens.

Though Ainge’s move came immediately after a rough season for the Celtics, he said the team’s struggles had nothing to do with his decision. One factor he mentioned: With the bubble in Orlando and all of the COVID-19 restrictions this past season, he had less fun with his job. The year challenged everyone throughout the NBA. The extreme circumstances helped push Ainge out of a position he had held for 18-plus seasons.
Ainge could still land a front-office role with another franchise. He did not rule out that possibility during a press conference Wednesday but said he will “think about the future somewhere in the future.” For the time being, he said he intends to work on his golf game and help Stevens get up to speed on the upcoming NBA Draft. Stevens will be in charge of the Celtics’ 16th pick, so he has a lot of film to watch before July 29.

Why did Brad Stevens leave his role as head coach and move up?​

Stevens said he thought the move would be best for the franchise. Franchise co-owner Wyc Grousbeck said he initially approached Stevens about possibly taking over for Ainge during the season. Grousbeck said he wanted to run a search for Ainge’s replacement with Stevens, then suggested Stevens might want to throw his name in the mix.

“From my standpoint, that’s when it started,” Grousbeck said. “I think Brad and Danny actually had started tossing it around years ago casually, but they never filled me in. It’s always probably been a possibility, but so the idea of Brad taking over became – it’s a natural promotion from within somebody we’ve worked with for eight years.”

Stevens stressed he loved coaching. Still, he sounded ready to lead in a different role. For many reasons, the last few seasons have been draining for him. Boston had a challenging season in 2018-19, then finished the 2019-20 season with a long stint in the Orlando bubble. After that unique experience, the Celtics had an extremely quick offseason before embarking on an injury-filled, COVID-marred journey.

“This side, this now is a great new opportunity, and I’m invigorated by it,” Stevens said. “I’m looking forward to it. Like, I’m excited about it.”

What happens to Mike Zarren and Austin Ainge?​

Changes could still come. Stevens said he has not yet thought much about the structure of the front office but intends to “dive into that” soon. Still, Danny Ainge suggested Stevens will likely keep much of the front office, if not all of the front office, intact.

“He has a great staff with Mike and Austin and Dave (Lewin) and Remy (Cofield) and Jake (Eastman) and Allison (Feaster),” Ainge said. “And just a great staff already in place, and that with Brad’s leadership and his organization and his work ethic and intelligence, I think it’s going to be great.”
While stating he plans to lean on the guys with front office experience, Stevens mentioned both Zarren and Austin Ainge as if he hopes to keep them both in the organization.

“I know there’s a lot of work to do, and I will say, and I think it’s really important to say, Danny mentioned it earlier, we’re set up not only from a player standpoint, but we’ve got great coaches that are in the building – you know, Mike Zarren, Austin and that whole entire group, they’re going to make this transition very easy because they’re high, high level at what they do,” Stevens said. “They know the ins and outs of everything that needs to be known, and I’m looking forward to working with them, leaning on their expertise as I transition, leaning on Danny’s expertise as he transitions and going from there.”

Who will the next head coach be?​

I am pleased to report the next head coach of the Boston Celti—

Are we back online? Great. So now that rookie assistant coach Evan Turner has ruled himself out of the job, we can look at several candidate pools. Stevens will begin with interviewing internal candidates from his staff first, team sources told The Athletic. The Celtics bench has a mix of experienced veteran assistants renowned for player development and more recent hires who worked their way up from the G League with their strategic acumen. The most obvious candidates are Jay Larranaga, who previously interviewed in Charlotte, and Jerome Allen, who played in the league and is especially tight with key players.

Names to watch among outside candidates are former Celtics assistant and current Duke women’s coach Kara Lawson, as well as former Celtics Sam Cassell and Chauncey Billups. There are employed head coaches, assistant coaches and free agents that will be interested as well.
Presuming this job opening makes it to the rest of the NBA world, it will be in as high demand as you can get. If you’re a coach who can handle the intense scrutiny of running a team in Boston, then there are few franchises better to work for. The organization has achieved tremendous continuity under its current ownership group, as this is just the second coaching change and first GM replacement in the past 18 years. The facilities are brand new, the organization invests in its basketball infrastructure and most importantly, has two young stars locked in long-term.

What’s important to Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and the Celtics players throughout this?​

A coach who can balance the push and pull of pressuring them toward greatness while making them feel like partners and leaders of a sound basketball program. Everyone on the team admits they need further reinforcements, but they emphasize even more their belief that they can fulfill their potential next year if they aren’t decimated by injury.

There were rumblings throughout the season that the players were not responding to the coaching staff as they had in years past, though it was hard to get a team that was incredibly young on the bench by design to perform well when the vets leading them go down. Stevens emphasized Wednesday that a new voice will invigorate the team, which is a nicely coded way of saying the players will rally for a new coach. But while the players will be looking for someone to whom they can relate to and rally them, they also will be looking to Stevens to give them a retooled roster that is ready to support Tatum and Brown’s ascension.

While Stevens, who took over the team at the beginning of a rebuild, joked that at least the new coach won’t have to replace Doc Rivers, they will be stepping into a quagmire with immediate pressure from the fans to win. But look at how Doc Rivers and Daryl Morey came into Philadelphia this season, made some minor tweaks around their three max players and went from utter disaster to top of the East in one offseason. There’s no Doc Rivers out there (yet), and who knows if Stevens is the next Morey. But there’s proof out there that things can turn around just as quickly as they fall apart.

Back