Celtics

If the Celtics win or lose this series, this era's style of play that is so reliant on 3 point shots is not as entertaining. When they were down by 3 with about 2:30 left they had 3 or 4 different possessions where they came down court on offense and missed 3 point shots. It was so fvcking predictable each time that they would put up 3 point shots and not attempt to post someone up inside for a higher percentage play.

Either the ball handler slices through and drives to the hoop or it's a game of horse.

If the Celtics win or lose this series, this era's style of play that is so reliant on 3 point shots is not as entertaining. When they were down by 3 with about 2:30 left they had 3 or 4 different possessions where they came down court on offense and missed 3 point shots. It was so fvcking predictable each time that they would put up 3 point shots and not attempt to post someone up inside for a higher percentage play.

Either the ball handler slices through and drives to the hoop or it's a game of horse.

Understood. However I thought down the stretch the ball moment was pretty damn good and there some good clean looks because of it, just went cold.

I didn't see then sprinting down the floor to 3 line, no passes and jack up a shot. They used to do that all thime and that was maddening. Tommy Heinson used to go off that they weren't driving to the basket and would just jack a 3 regardless of what was in front of them. That's not entirely what I saw tonight.

2 pennies.

✌️

Understood. However I thought down the stretch the ball moment was pretty damn good and there some good clean looks because of it, just went cold.

I didn't see then sprinting down the floor to 3 line, no passes and jack up a shot. They used to do that all thime and that was maddening. Tommy Heinson used to go off that they weren't driving to the basket and would just jack a 3 regardless of what was in front of them. That's not entirely what I saw tonight.

2 pennies.

✌️

I agree, they had good ball movement and they had clean looks for the 3's they took. I really haven't watched in years, but having watched this year's playoffs, I had little doubt on each of those possessions that they would be setting up 3 point shots. It's a 40% shot at best and some times it does go cold, a post up in the paint doesn't.

Damn, was really hoping for the win so we could kill them off in SF. But the pattern is we'll be better in the next game and the C's should be riled up after seeing Curry's antics etc.

On another note, watching some older NBA games and stuff on YT, how much fun were the Slam Dunk contests back in the day?

This dunk from Vince Carter was a think of beauty!

View: https://youtu.be/eI1if7ClBJ8?t=685

These contests were better than 90% of the stuff you see in the Olympics!

It's frustrating to watch their offence period.
Too often there's a lot of standing around and hoisting up threes. In
contrast GS will have multiple players in motion on a given play.
And there's too many out of control drives,, they need to be able maintain control and take the short shot.
And why not maximize Horford down low, that seems to work every time.

IMO

And there's too many out of control drives,, they need to be able maintain control and take the short shot.

IMO
Many of Tatum‘s drives to the hoop we’re out of control and well defended by Golden State. If Tatum just had an average game the Celtics would’ve won by 10 points. Unfortunately he played poorly. I think it came down to the Celtics coach getting out coach. Golden State made some excellent adjustments in the third game. I still don’t think they have the horses to win this, but the Celtics need to improve on their shot percentage by getting better looks down low.

Many of Tatum‘s drives to the hoop we’re out of control and well defended by Golden State. If Tatum just had an average game the Celtics would’ve won by 10 points. Unfortunately he played poorly. I think it came down to the Celtics coach getting out coach. Golden State made some excellent adjustments in the third game. I still don’t think they have the horses to win this, but the Celtics need to improve on their shot percentage by getting better looks down low.

Clutch gene. Is it really an innate characteristic or can it be developed? 🤔

Al Horford has it. Several others do as well.

With the lights at their brightest and all the chips on the table JT is wilting.

With the lights at their brightest and all the chips on the table JT is wilting.
The Celtics just need to do a better job passing the ball. They’re focusing too much on JT trying to make things happen or take a three point shot. JT needs to be driving to the basket without the ball and someone like smart passing it to him. They need to find the open guy on the inside and stop relying on the open guy on the outside. Beat them up down low and then you’ll have better opportunities on the outside. Got to get a rhythm going and when we are doing that is easy inside dunks and short shots.

IMO

Grant Williams seemed effective around the basket too, when he's gotten the chance. I'd like to see him get more minutes.

Of course no one was saying this when they were facing elimination against the Bucks and JT carried the Celtics, but I get it, he simply hasn't been good enough in the Finals thus far. If he goes off over the next 2 or 3 games and they win, no one will give a crap games 1 thru 4. If they lose though he will carry that choke stigma with him until he wins one, like Durant and Lebron did, and guys like Westbrook, Harden and Chris Paul etc still do. Personally I want him to be more aggressive even if the right play is to pass. He's passing so much they're expecting it and jumping the passing lane, and he's turning it over. He's good enough to carry the team like Curry has been doing for the Warriors.

Last edited:

I do hate sometimes what have analytics have done to all sports. I don't find it less entertaining but it's frustrating to see players not playing to their strengths. In the NBA the analytics say just shoot 3's or layups because 3-point efficiency far outweighs 2-point jump shot efficiency. But what if you have a guy like Brown who can hit from the elbow at an 80% clip? It's such a money shot for him but he hardly does it now because the analytics say not to. And it's frustrating to see Curry guard Tatum 10-15ft from the basket and he doesn't just turnaround and easily shoot over him.

I do hate sometimes what have analytics have done to all sports. I don't find it less entertaining but it's frustrating to see players not playing to their strengths. In the NBA the analytics say just shoot 3's or layups because 3-point efficiency far outweighs 2-point jump shot efficiency. But what if you have a guy like Brown who can hit from the elbow at an 80% clip? It's such a money shot for him but he hardly does it now because the analytics say not to. And it's frustrating to see Curry guard Tatum 10-15ft from the basket and he doesn't just turnaround and easily shoot over him.
The problem with efficiency it doesn’t account for defense.

Back