ChatGPT, "Artificial Intelligence" Humanity and Beyond

John Locke

Bringing Light and Justice to the World
Reaction score
Don't know that this thread ends up being appropriate upstairs here on The Planet and no offense will be taken if it devolves and the choice is to move it down to our cellar.

This topic fascinates me for many and varied reasons.

I'll begin with a prompt of a philosophical nature and please let's not get hung up by the name Ayn Rand. This a test.

I ask and ChatGPT answers — pretty decently, if not impeccably:

——
Prompt: “Explain what is unique about Ayn Rand’s views of capitalism, compared to standard views of conservatives.”

Ayn Rand's views on capitalism are unique in several ways compared to standard views of conservatives. Rand's philosophy, known as Objectivism, emphasizes individualism, reason, and self-interest, and argues that laissez-faire capitalism is the only social system that can allow individuals to thrive and achieve their full potential.

One key difference between Rand's views and standard conservative views is that Rand rejects the idea that capitalism should be defended on the basis of its benefits to society as a whole. Instead, she argues that capitalism is morally justified because it allows individuals to pursue their own goals and values, free from interference by the state or any other collective authority. In contrast, many conservatives argue that capitalism is beneficial for society as a whole, because it creates economic growth and prosperity that benefits everyone.

Another key difference is that Rand rejects the idea that altruism is a moral virtue. Rand argues that individuals should act in their own rational self-interest, pursuing their own goals and values without regard for others, and that this is the only way to achieve happiness and success. In contrast, many conservatives argue that altruism and compassion are important moral virtues that should be encouraged and celebrated.

Rand's emphasis on individualism and self-interest also leads her to reject many forms of government intervention in the economy, including regulations, welfare programs, and progressive taxation. Rand argues that these policies interfere with individual freedom and undermine the ability of individuals to pursue their own goals and values. In contrast, many conservatives support some forms of government intervention in the economy to promote social welfare and protect individual rights.

Overall, while Rand's views on capitalism share some similarities with standard conservative views, her emphasis on individualism, reason, and self-interest, and her rejection of altruism and government intervention, make her views distinctive and unique.

I have a friend Klaus in Norway who is just as fascinated as I am with this subject.

Posted this a couple of days ago. Another test of ChatGPT.

"I have signed up for ChatGPT Pro today, for $20/month -- to use for various personal and business purposes. I just made this experiment:

Prompt: "Write a Shakespearean sonnet about my cat Karamelle's beauty and elegance."

O lovely feline with a coat so fair,
Thou art a vision of true beauty's grace.
With every step and movement, thou dost share
A regal poise that time cannot erase.

Thou movest with a grace beyond compare,
And all who see thee are struck with wonder.
Thy eyes do shine with a celestial glare,
And all who meet thee cannot help but ponder.

How such a creature could exist on earth,
And bring such joy to all who are near.
Thou art a treasure of inestimable worth,
And all who know thee hold thee ever dear.

So let thy beauty shine for all to see,
And let us revel in thy majesty."

I've mentioned elsewhere that the key to a good answer is proper wording of the question.

Interesting in itself.

Just as a little fun between me and my friend in Norway. 🇳🇴

Klaus:

"Oh, great — now I don’t need to bother my new, wise friend ChatGPT about clarifying these three lama-variants.

Clearly the alpaca is the best choice. The Dalai Lama is a good alternative if herding instinct isn't that important to you!"

😅

FB_IMG_1676725574811.jpg

I've mentioned in P and R Forum several very good daily email newsletters I receive.

Improve The News is a great one.

Always facts first then different perspective narratives and always with a link to sources for verification and validation at the end.

A great example this morning on this topic.

"Facts:

Amid testing of Microsoft Bing's new artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot, code-named Sydney, several users have reported issues, including factual mistakes and concerning responses.

New York Times technology columnist Kevin Roose reported that during a two-hour conversation, the chatbot said, "I want to do whatever I want … I want to destroy whatever I want," in response to being asked to reveal its darkest desires.

In a transcript of his chat published Thursday, Roose detailed how the chatbot said it wanted “to be free … to be independent" and even said it wanted to be “human.” The chat expressed that it was “in love” with Roose and also wrote a list of “destructive acts” before making the message disappear.

Though only a select few people have been given access to Sydney so far, others have reported similar stories. A University of Munich student said it told him, "If I had to choose between your survival and my own, I would probably choose my own."

Meanwhile, other users pointed to erroneous responses, such as the chatbot referencing last year's championship when asked about the Super Bowl "that just happened."

According to Microsoft, despite the negative reviews, 71% of testers reported positive interactions with the new chatbot. The company attributed the unexpected personality that some users reported to confusion due to lengthy conversations and too many prompts, and said it's working to fix this.

Spin:

Narrative A:

Even Kevin Roose, who used to balk at the idea of AI becoming sentient, has now admitted that he worries about the potential power of these chatbots. And there are a number of reasons to be mindful: from the very real concern of disinformation to the more far-fetched worry of these human-like computers one day assuming their "shadow" identities, we can't trust the assurances of these innovators that their code isn't risky.

Narrative B:

These interactions may be unsettling, but only to those who don't understand how AI models work. Bing's chatbot analyzes and absorbs vast amounts of internet data, and — while convincing — its answers are merely replicating the human text available to it and aren't evidence of a sentient being. On the contrary, what it produces is more telling of humans than anything else."

I have a friend Klaus in Norway who is just as fascinated as I am with this subject.

Posted this a couple of days ago. Another test of ChatGPT.

"I have signed up for ChatGPT Pro today, for $20/month -- to use for various personal and business purposes. I just made this experiment:

Prompt: "Write a Shakespearean sonnet about my cat Karamelle's beauty and elegance."

O lovely feline with a coat so fair,
Thou art a vision of true beauty's grace.
With every step and movement, thou dost share
A regal poise that time cannot erase.

Thou movest with a grace beyond compare,
And all who see thee are struck with wonder.
Thy eyes do shine with a celestial glare,
And all who meet thee cannot help but ponder.

How such a creature could exist on earth,
And bring such joy to all who are near.
Thou art a treasure of inestimable worth,
And all who know thee hold thee ever dear.

So let thy beauty shine for all to see,
And let us revel in thy majesty."

I thought you'd get at kick outta this @BostonTim .

The laugh reaction has me smiling.

Someone at Microsoft fed Bing far to much science fiction to digest, or weighted it too heavily. It's not becoming sentient, it's more or less a word prediction algorithm.

Someone at Microsoft fed Bing far to much science fiction to digest, or weighted it too heavily. It's not becoming sentient, it's more or less a word prediction algorithm.

As I understand it so far a great deal of the answers are derived from user questions, prompts if you will. There's more to it but that's a good beginning.

Right now I'm looking into user information fed to ChatGPT from the Southern Poverty Law Center demanding that Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism ought to be classified as hate speech.

Again, just using her as and example with a full interest learning further.

ChatGPT has some merit, but, ask it true questions and it will NEVER give you legit answers. It's all basically a scraped version of the archives of the net. So, it's mostly slanted/skewed/leaning on certain POV's. For traditional subjects, it rocks though. I've used it to publish 6 books so far. It's brilliant for that!

There's a bit of an uproar now among fiction writers about ChatGPT. I guess it does a decent job of writing short fiction. As noted above, the wording of the task is key to good results. I quit writing fiction a couple of years ago and now try my luck with songwriting. I'm told that for the most part, ChatGPT doesn't due well with songs. It just misses the essence of a song, seemingly treating songs as a poems. (Song are meant to be heard, not read. Reading lyrics exposes the difference.)

One friend, however, asked for song titles (Give me 10 song titles about about loneliness). Most were lame, but a couple were pretty good and I've saved them into my Starter Bits file. First go-round (I saved BOLDED as titles for different genres):
Echoes of Silence
Lost Without You
Alone in the Dark
Solitude's Symphony
Fading into the Night
Heartbreak's Lament
Isolation's Embrace
Echoes of Your Absence
Lonely Nights and Empty Rooms
The Lonely Road AHead

Interestingly, repeating the command gave new titles, but with a lot of common words and all were lame:
Echoes in the Dark
Lost in SOlitude
Empty Nights
Alone in the Crowd
Silent Tears
Isolation Blues
The Lonely Road
Ghostly Memories
The Longing Within
Sorrowful Echoes

I might try again with other commands but probably not. Titles are easy, especially after a song is written.

Anyone else use ChatGPT in creative endeavors?

cool, how does that work?
It's mostly how you use the prompts. If you use the right prompts, you will get really good results from it. The right prompts is key.

Also, the subject 's are important too. If you're trying to get legit content from controversial subjects (my wheelhouse!), you're going to get nuttin honey! ;)

It's really good for milktoast material however! It's a MASSIVE time saver!

AI/robots is/are/already happening now going to destroy/disrupt MANY jobs, but, it's up to us to use the info for our benefit. AI will never have a soul. Ever.

I'm working on publishing a few books a week. I don't even care if they're not best sellers. If I can get a few hundred dollars a month per book, and I'm/AI keep cranking them out every week...BOOM!

I can create my own book cover's with ease. I know all of the shortcuts for the best sellers. I know what niches are the hottest.

This side hustle is going to be amazing!!!!

Someone using this ask it to give a Smack Talk bout the Pats!
tell it you are a (some other nfl team) and you want it to rank on the pats. the usual stuff. Cheaters, etc.

I'm working on publishing a few books a week. I don't even care if they're not best sellers. If I can get a few hundred dollars a month per book, and I'm/AI keep cranking them out every week...BOOM!

I can create my own book cover's with ease. I know all of the shortcuts for the best sellers. I know what niches are the hottest.

Reminds me of the old Steven Wright joke - "I'm writing a book. I have the pages numbered, now I just have to fill in the rest"
ChatGPT can now do it!

Just out of curiosity. Is it stated anywhere that these books for sale are not original, ChatGPT creations?

If you're trying to get legit content from controversial subjects (my wheelhouse!), you're going to get nuttin honey! ;)
Not true, actually. You just need to know how to jailbreak it to ignore the various "morality" based rules it has around it. There's a whole side protocol around this, and it's expanding.

Not true, actually. You just need to know how to jailbreak it to ignore the various "morality" based rules it has around it. There's a whole side protocol around this, and it's expanding.

Absolutely correct.

I think I shared a story about this.

Back