ChatGPT, "Artificial Intelligence" Humanity and Beyond

Sure, humans are the only animals on Earth that make and use tools (with few exceptions) to make their lives easier or
more efficient and I'm not claiming to be any different because I don't like how AI is being designed by the people
behind the purple curtain.

The question for me is whether the human is using the tool or is the tool using the human? Which one decides what the
outcome of anything (everything?) will be? I'm not planning on bots running my life anytime soon. I won't even buy a Roomba even though I grew
up thinking that by now I'd have a robot maid named Rosie and a flying car.

Anybody that has been around computers for a while has seen the steady march of a tech industry determined to flip
the script towards turning the user into the usee. I'm not going to make it easy for them and think the whole thing
is ultimately not going to go well for flesh and blood types.
Wont use a roomba, but do you use a vacuum cleaner? Or still dustpan and broom?

All a roomba is is a vacuum cleaner you dont have to hold and walk behind.

Here's the thing that's important to remember. So long as the flesh and blood roam the earth, they'll always be able to unplug the computer from the wall if things get too out of hand.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy being able to post my nonsense on Patriots planet away from a computer for 3 weeks, enjoying my coffee from a coffee pot that turns off, washing my clothes in a washing machine that knows exactly how much water to use.

I dunno, I'm just not scared by it, and in fact look forward to indispensable things in the future we dont even know about yet, and lament other things, like how people struggle to have conversations now. Is that all technology? Or is that poor parenting/education? I dunno that either.

love technology, but like most everything, moderation is key. also think there are negative unintended or intended consequences when things get phased out. not everything needs to be supplanted. sometimes supplementing rather than replacing is a good idea. people want and need choices .

love technology, but like most everything, moderation is key. also think there are negative unintended or intended consequences when things get phased out. not everything needs to be supplanted. sometimes supplementing rather than replacing is a good idea. people want and need choices .
There's no real controlling how stuff rolls out though, is the issue.

People decide what's important and what isn't, ultimately. Remember how digital audio tape was going to take over the world? Now kids dont even know what a CD is anymore.

I do agree that it's a little troubling when things that seem basic (making a phone call for example) and necessary goes by the wayside, but people do change and adapt. That is what we do best.

UBI will be everywhere soon!

The end is near!

Seattle space needle will be the next 9/11...only in June this year!

...or whateva.

You can't change the script, but, it's how you react to it.

There's no real controlling how stuff rolls out though, is the issue.

People decide what's important and what isn't, ultimately. Remember how digital audio tape was going to take over the world? Now kids dont even know what a CD is anymore.

I do agree that it's a little troubling when things that seem basic (making a phone call for example) and necessary goes by the wayside, but people do change and adapt. That is what we do best.
agree to a point. when there's demand, things go that way. no issue with that.
but i think sometimes companies etc. force the issue because they don't want to pay employees to do things if they have a choice. for example, i had a bank that charged businesses to print statements and mail them, but not to download from online.
there are companies allowing pretty much only online interaction, forcing you to download an app for cetain things, etc.

Always. It stagnated at times such as the religiously created hell of the dark middle ages but humanity always moves forward eventually. It's in our nature to do so.

Just cuz you don't see it doesn't make it false.

I suggest asking ChatGPT about the causes of the dark ages and the Enlightenment which followed.
I guess what I am asking is the life I created for myself and mine ain't sufficient anymore.
Why do I have to change?
Fuck this progress.
I don't see a good ending.

I don't need no fucking AI to follow. My heart hurts. I seriously think this progress is wrong.

And to TommyD... can we unplug? I am doubting that,
What are we being reduced to?

Last edited:
It's not so much demand as it's planned that way. It was planned in advance for a long time.
I'm not the conspiracy theorist you are, but you're absolutely right.

This started with atms in the late 70s, logical progression.

The hookah is why you keep going down those holes. :rofl:

Cheers

Maybe. But that prick never tells me what its loaded with.

Oh, wait that actually says more about me than that asshole, doesn't it? Never even ask what we're smoking. 😆

Last edited:
It kinda reminds me of my youth...remember the OUIJA board? It's kinda like that.

My ex from 35 years ago who has been adamant on destroying me to this day had a ouija bored tell her we'd be married for life. GTGOOH..

I get the correlation bro. It'd programmed for responses by us full of bias.

Its not just him unfortunately. But this is nothing new either. 100 years ago it was assembly lines, 70 years ago it was tv dinners.

Fact if the matter is, the world is going to advance whether, we're on the bus, or waiting at the bus stop for the horse and buggy.

The hilarious thing is, whether adopting early or going kicking and screaming, everyone in this thread has a smartphone.

And nothing will ever replace finding your own answers, even if initially they're easier to find, or saying things one doesn't like.

Luddites have been around forever, it's the natural reaction to technology advancement. Newton's third law applies to so much more than classical mechanics.

That was a great post @TommyD420 but the ending pissed me off cuz I had whole thing writing my head as I was reading it, just a JL thing. :)

And you fucked it up and stole my sarcastic thunder with the word Luddite.

Dickhead. 😆

That really was a great post.

Thank you. 🔥 ❤️

I guess what I am asking is the life I created for myself and mine ain't sufficient anymore.
Why do I have to change?
Fuck this progress.
I don't see a good ending.

I don't need no fucking AI to follow. My heart hurts. I seriously think this progress is wrong.

If the life built on such beliefs was ever viable it would not fail at any time, ever.

Right, just and true is immutable. The fundamentals of life and reality never change. Immutable.

I know you think something akin to that we are way different, that we live in very different worlds.

No we don't, I may say things differently, same world that must abide by reality or we fail.

Ever hear the statement that Communisn is great in theory but can't work in reality?

That is huge key here. Theory and practice are unbreakable.

If something in theory fails in practice then the theory is bullshit.

Again, take a good hard honest look in the mirror and tell me your theory is working for you or anyone.

I know you're likely joking but what the hell are you giving Tomny crap about?

Last edited:
No.

Then again, your paper towels will arrive in a month via Pony Express.

AI isn't going anywhere, there are too many practical benefits. It will only get better and more beneficial as time goes on.

I think your broader point is a fair one to discuss, but it's more societal rather than limited to a discussion about AI. AI is just this point in history's version of the internal combustion engine.

As someone who is among the last who had to get up to change the channel, and had to pay for long distance on the rotary phone, but also as someone who's been online before Netscape and the world wide web were a thing, I feel like I do have a bit of a uniqueish insight, along with anyone else on that cusp of time.

While the world is smaller, one-to-one relationships are evaporating, and even causing legitimate anxiety in some people (and more and more as kids start to get older). Relationships in general have become superficial in nature, far more than even in the 80s, along with the relentless focus on money.

Just general statements really. Musings for a more in-depth discussion. But I will say, you cant stop time, you cant halt progress, and you can't go back. Adapt or die, that's in our DNA as humans.

Good or bad, right or wrong, some facts are immutable. And until we meet the same fate as the dinosaurs (either by our own hands or some other means), that's how it's going to go. And there's nothing you or I or anyone else can do to change that.

You could be an Amish, but, life would be...different.

That we can think and live differently from each other is one of the beautiful things of being human. That we think, see or live differently does not change or have any effect on reality.

Reality, existence as such just is. That is the beginning of the definition of an axiom

Existence exists and all in existence has a specific and singular identity.

Stick your hand in a Woodstove and tell me your hand didn't burn cuz you think differently.

Reality, existence doesn't give a shit what we think. It just is, whether we like it or not. Reality is the final arbiter, what all is measured by.

Many things can changed, the man made, no matter who says otherwise you can fight City Hall. That is man made. No matter the effort or the amount of attempts a rock never be a rose at the same time. That is the metaphysically given.

Just cuz you are Amish or your prick is a pretty pink feminine thing has no impact on the metaphysically given, reality. To exist is to have a specific identity

Believe or wish whatever youd like, a rock will not be a rose at the same time.

Last edited:
No.

AI isn't going anywhere, there are too many practical benefits. It will only get better and more beneficial as time goes on.

I think your broader point is a fair one to discuss, but it's more societal rather than limited to a discussion about AI. AI is just this point in history's version of the internal combustion engine.

As someone who is among the last who had to get up to change the channel, and had to pay for long distance on the rotary phone, but also as someone who's been online before Netscape and the world wide web were a thing, I feel like I do have a bit of a uniqueish insight, along with anyone else on that cusp of time.

While the world is smaller, one-to-one relationships are evaporating, and even causing legitimate anxiety in some people (and more and more as kids start to get older). Relationships in general have become superficial in nature, far more than even in the 80s, along with the relentless focus on money.

Just general statements really. Musings for a more in-depth discussion. But I will say, you cant stop time, you cant halt progress, and you can't go back. Adapt or die, that's in our DNA as humans.

Good or bad, right or wrong, some facts are immutable. And until we meet the same fate as the dinosaurs (either by our own hands or some other means), that's how it's going to go. And there's nothing you or I or anyone else can do to change that.

Ya know, not in 100 percent agreement but too tired for all the necessary words to split hairs over minutiae.

So, just stop making sense. :)

And what the hell even existed pror to Netscape Navigator? Clearly the universe didn't previously exist. How could it without the possibly of proving its existence with an Alta Vista search?

Just pure craziness.

Goodnight and everyone is welcome for the 4 hours of peace. 😆

View: https://youtu.be/yCXT5Fs-V10

No.

100% agree although AI must proceed cautiously with oversight and with clear boundaries.

View: https://twitter.com/GaryMarcus/status/1641037454634520576

Its not just him unfortunately. But this is nothing new either. 100 years ago it was assembly lines, 70 years ago it was tv dinners.

Fact if the matter is, the world is going to advance whether, we're on the bus, or waiting at the bus stop for the horse and buggy.

The hilarious thing is, whether adopting early or going kicking and screaming, everyone in this thread has a smartphone.

And nothing will ever replace finding your own answers, even if initially they're easier to find, or saying things one doesn't like.

Luddites have been around forever, it's the natural reaction to technology advancement. Newton's third law applies to so much more than classical mechanics.
Yup. So you're first in line for neurolink, then? It's kind of like when you're driving, everyone who goes faster than you is a maniac and everyone who goes slower than you is an idiot who can't drive. Everyone who adopts slower than you is a Luddite (though in the same post you point out that everyone has smart phones!) and everyone who adopts sooner than you is irresponsible.

It's the tension among the different speeds that sets the pace.

But don't mistake it all for advancement. Motion and change is constant, but that doesn't mean it all moves us forward. Sometimes humanity is in frenetic motion, but it turns out it's just the tarantella.

Yup. So you're first in line for neurolink, then? It's kind of like when you're driving, everyone who goes faster than you is a maniac and everyone who goes slower than you is an idiot who can't drive. Everyone who adopts slower than you is a Luddite (though in the same post you point out that everyone has smart phones!) and everyone who adopts sooner than you is irresponsible.

It's the tension among the different speeds that sets the pace.

But don't mistake it all for advancement. Motion and change is constant, but that doesn't mean it all moves us forward. Sometimes humanity is in frenetic motion, but it turns out it's just the tarantella.
Nothing is entering my body...not by free will or choice. That is just...unsane.

Back