Cheap Shot of the Decade: Dante Wesley on Clifton Smith

Ras

Prolate Spheriod Fan
Reaction score
Wesley is a piece of shit and should be suspended for the remainder of the season.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cXHdfQGswfc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cXHdfQGswfc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

grog

Chief Instigation Officer
Reaction score
Damn that had to hurt. I agree, ban him for the year. Or at least 4 games. That wasn't football, that was cheap shot artist ball.

Redsoxfan57

Reaction score
At the very least a 4 or 5 game suspension and a very heavy fine.

sprocketboy

Surrounded by Donkey Fans
Reaction score
My guess would be four games, as well. I mean, he's gotta get at least as long a suspension as someone caught smoking the weed of wisdom.

shirtsleeve

what's takin?
Reaction score
What I would give? Lifetime ban from the NFL. Career over.

Why? He launched himself off of the ground, and deliberately delivered the hardest blow he could to the head and neck of a helpless kick returner during a fair catch attempt. That is not intent to injure. That is attempted murder.

RoadGrader

Pervertas Emeritus
Reaction score
Wesley is a piece of shit and should be suspended for the remainder of the season.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cXHdfQGswfc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>
no!! :harumph: :shake:

"I don't see anything wrong w/ this hit. Dante is just doing what we've been taught to do on our hard-hitting team. As long as you lead w/ your shoulder Mike Pereira will always say 'it looks fine to him'.

Clifton just needs to work more on buildin' up them neck muscles. This is a man's game we playin'."
~~ Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh Steelers Mensa-candidate & All-around fine fellow

babalu87

Beer....... proof that God loves us
Reaction score
A fair catch is a feature of American football and several other codes of football. In rugby union and Australian rules football, a fair catch is called a mark; see mark (Australian football) and mark (rugby) for more information on fair catches in those games. Fair catches featured in some extinct forms of football, and they have been abolished in other modern codes.

The primary reason for the fair catch rule is to protect the receiver. A receiver directs his attention toward the incoming punt and cannot focus on the defenders running towards him. He is quite vulnerable to injury and is also at risk for fumbling the kick if the punter intentionally makes a high short kick to allow defenders time to hit the receiver. The XFL removed the fair catch rule in an effort to make the game more "extreme." Canadian football and Arena football also do not have fair catch rules

dfresh429

Reaction score
he never was...he was drafted by Carolina and spent his whole career there

He lead with his shoulder on a hit in the Smith's chest...other than being early and launching...I don't see why this is so controversial.

mooseontheloose

See, moose love the Pats too!
Reaction score
He lead with his shoulder on a hit in the Smith's chest...other than being early and launching...I don't see why this is so controversial.

Are you retarded? The bolded part is EXACTLY why this is a big deal.

He wasn't making a play on the ball, because it was no where near the guy. Not only that, but a fair catch had been called and he still proceeded to launch himself at a defenseless receiver well before the ball was even in play. This is about as cheap as it gets and he should definitely miss substantial time, more so if the injured player misses game action.

mikiemo83

The Future
Reaction score
you are kidding....he hit someone who was defenseless

did you watch the play to see he LAUNCHED himself into the upper torso/neck/head area while the return man was watching the ball?

the big deal? it is unnecessary hits like this that lead to injuries, injuries that can be prevented

football is a violent sport, collisions constantly yet with all those hits and attempts to decaputate each other, this hit stands out for the cowardliness in which it was done

3 Point Stan

POW! Right in the kissah.
Reaction score
Clifton Smith, you just got "jacked up."

tommysgirl

Willing to eat this for Babalu
Reaction score
Apparently after the game he couldn't speak above a whisper and was having trouble swallowing. Hope the concussion isnt too severe.:(

babalu87

Beer....... proof that God loves us
Reaction score
I just want to hear WTF was he thinking.

THIS

I'd be like

Corby_Statue_Gettysburg.jpg

dfresh429

Reaction score
you are kidding....he hit someone who was defenseless

did you watch the play to see he LAUNCHED himself into the upper torso/neck/head area while the return man was watching the ball?

the big deal? it is unnecessary hits like this that lead to injuries, injuries that can be prevented

football is a violent sport, collisions constantly yet with all those hits and attempts to decaputate each other, this hit stands out for the cowardliness in which it was done

A.) I did see the play - many many times.
B.) A fair catch was NOT called
C.) this hit isn't even as bad as Lewis's hit on Ochocinco last week (in which Ray Ray lead with his helmet and hit Chad's head). And he only got a fine of $25k.

Would you people please get off your high horses? A life time ban? Are you freaking kidding me? 25k fine and 1 game suspension...same as Eric Smith got last year on the Jets...

My point about it "only being early and launching" was in response to the lifetime ban/5 game suspensions...this hit was relatively mild, IMO. It really doesn't even look like he hits him that hard..and yes..I am serious.

This happens a couple times a year in the NFL and this is the first outcry I remember....what makes this one so damn special?

Jeeze.