Chilli

Tellin' ya, 2 Alarm. Can't mess it up in any way.

My suggestion:

Make your dinner. After you're done, start the chili for TOMORROW night. Brown your meat. Add all ingredients. And slow cook for a few hrs. Cover.(We leave ours covered on the stovetop overnight). Then tomorrow afternoon start on lo again, add the beans, and in an hour your dinner is totally ready.

Don't forget the cornbread.

And beer.

Is that something I can buy anywhere?
Slow cooker DUH good thinking again :)

the thing is this is for me
My family does not eat chilli I KNOW what ups with that right?

I tend to cook what they eat and the stuff I like they don't eat does not get cooked

I decided to change that and am cooking things I like so the servings won't be that much well maybe one freezing but have to figure out the amount

I am so excited to try this again :thumb:

I usually buy a small beef roast and a small pork roast, which I cut up into chunks and brown on the stovetop in a dutch oven. I then add chili powder, cayenne pepper, red crushed pepper, garlic powder and s&p to taste. After the meat is browned I add some salsa, chopped onion and green chili peppers. I let all that cook for about 30 mins, then add canned kidneys and cannolini beans, or dry beans (chilis, pintos, kidneys...it doesn't matter) which I have soaked in warm water for about 1 hour. I add water if necessary, then I let that cook for about 30 mins more, or until the dry beans (if used) are soft enough. I add tabasco or other heat to each serving, to taste.

If you buy bigger roasts, you can use as much as you like for the chili, and cook off the rest for your family.

I usually buy a small beef roast and a small pork roast, which I cut up into chunks and brown on the stovetop in a dutch oven. I then add chili powder, cayenne pepper, red crushed pepper, garlic powder and s&p to taste. After the meat is browned I add some salsa, chopped onion and green chili peppers. I let all that cook for about 30 mins, then add canned kidneys and cannolini beans, or dry beans (chilis, pintos, kidneys...it doesn't matter) which I have soaked in warm water for about 1 hour. I add water if necessary, then I let that cook for about 30 mins more, or until the dry beans (if used) are soft enough. I add tabasco or other heat to each serving, to taste.

If you buy bigger roasts, you can use as much as you like for the chili, and cook off the rest for your family.

This will be written down

Sounds awesome

By the way thank you everyone who have contributed, really good information like I knew the Planet people had :thumb:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...li+society+official+chili+cookbook&x=101&y=17

Good for you Musie!

For Muse and all you chili lovers -

The above link will take you to one of the best websites on the planet, Abe Books, a clearing house for used book dealers and to by one of the best (and cheapest) compililations of world and state championship and many more chili recipes,
The International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook (Carrol Shelby's from scratch recipe is here too - no packaged spices).

Anyway I never use a recipe but I almost always bring out this book a couple of days befor I'm cooking, and browse through it, getting my self in the proper Zen state and assimilating ideas and ingrediants I might like to try.

Anyway, for 6-8 buck or less, shipping include you can get a good working copy with about 100 chili recipes and even more side dishes and corralary dishes recipes. a neat history of chili, twenty five or so championship recipes, including 9 or 10 World Championship recipes. A good glossary of terms, neat discussions of the dish etc.

Higly recommended by me.

Cheers, BostonTim

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...li+society+official+chili+cookbook&x=101&y=17

Good for you Musie!

The above link will take you to one of the best websites on the planet, Abe Books, a clearing house for used book dealers and to by one of the best (and cheapest) compililations of world and state championship and many more chili recipes,
The International Chili Society Official Chili Cookbook (Carrol Shelby's from scratch recipe is here too - no packaged spices).

Anyway I never use a recipe but I almost always bring out this book a couple of days befor I'm cooking, and browse through it, getting my self in the proper Zen state and assimilating ideas and ingrediants I might like to try.

Anyway, for 6-8 buck or less, shipping include you can get a good working copy with about 100 chili recipes and even more side dishes and corralary dishes recipes. a neat history of chili, twenty five or so championship recipes, including 9 or 10 World Championship recipes. A good glossary of terms, neat discussions of the dish etc.

Higly recommended by me.

Cheers, BostonTim

The awesome of this post :)

I vary between recipes and not using them and for me attempting this for the first time you think I would use a recipe I didn't and almost got it on the first try ;)

I think I will get this am excited to try again the chilli that is:)

Good for you Musie!

Higly recommended by me.

Cheers, BostonTim

Did you clear it with your wife before you bought the book?

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=59978

Spices make the chili go "boom!"

Great chili is never the same because you find endless ways to use up leftovers or cook to taste as you play with the spice rack, dry stores, canned goods, etc.

Great chili can be as simplistic as a package of ground round, a jar of salsa, a can of beans, and several shots of Tabasco sauce, or as creative as a variety of shredded animal or fowl flesh, a medley of beans, peppers, squash, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. and various spices to heat, sweeten, or tease the taste buds.

For ground turkey which is not as robust as pork or beef, I like to reduce tomatoes (actually I like to reduce tomatoes any time, but that's another subject), and go for a rainbow effect with red, green, yellow, and orange bell pepper, jalapeño pepper (I prefer sliced & pickled, but fresh is fine if your customers can handle it), dark and light kidney beans, black beans, great northern beans, corn, onion, minced garlic, crushed red, cayenne, and black pepper to taste, paprika (hot or mild), (I'm not a fan of chili powder or other curry-like spices, or I should say my poor tummy isn't, but you are the chef dear Muse), served with Tabasco, salsa, and jalapeños on the side for those who'd like more fire/flavor. By reducing the tomatoes the peppers and corn pick up the "sweetener" burden and to my taste do a better job of complementing the turkey. You can also use chunked summer and zucchini squash in lieu of bell peppers to create color and add "sweetness."

A trick I learned to good effect: after it's cooled, stick the pot of chili in the freezer overnight (this is a really good idea if you used meat with a higher fat content as it will allow you to "skim" a fair amount of fat off the top the next day), to chill the chili and bring out and blend the spices and individual flavors of the ingredients.

Being a simple and robust kind of fellow, spoons should never be used to eat chili when tortilla chips are available. :p

Well went to the store to get supplies to go for another few rounds of chilli making

I did not get the green peppers like I wanted, 1.89 per pepper I don't think so

I will either try tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest
I went through the entire thread and wrote down all the great tips you all wrote for me, THANK YOU

I am so excited to try

:thumb:

all this chilli talk is making me want to make a chili today. yup, i'm gonna make my Coffee and Guinness Chili today

all this chilli talk is making me want to make a chili today. yup, i'm gonna make my Coffee and Guinness Chili today

:thumb:

can you give a hint of what that entails the coffee and guiness part?

The best chili i had had some coco in it. That gave it that sweet taste then gave you that spicy kick at the end.

The best chili i had had some coco in it. That gave it that sweet taste then gave you that spicy kick at the end.

Make a mole (MOH-lay) sauce and you have an unbeatable start to any chili or meal made with any type of meat...

pretty simple really. a cup of black coffee and a can of Guinness. I'll PM you the recipe.
Why pm it? Why not just post it so we can all claim to have invented it? :coffee:

:LOL: :LOL: ROFL ROFLCheers, BostonTim

I never make chili the same way twice, or at least that I can remember.

However, there are 4 solid steps I do and use when making any chili;

1. I hand crush canned whole tomatoes. The irregular pieces make a better consistency when eating the chili.
2. If I am making a beef chili, I only use either skirt or flank steak or shoulder blade meat. I usually dry rub marinate the beef 24 hours before cutting it up into 1 inch cubes.
3. I always use a spanish onion for the flavor and dice the onion into larger pieces.
4. When sweating the garlic and onions, I add 3 shots of Jack Daniels and half the oil instead of the full amount of oil.

After that, anything goes. Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, Heinz 57, ketchup, mustard, grey poupon, molasses, brown sugar, gravy master or whatever else is in the cupboards or 'fridge at the time.

Also, 90% of the time, I do not add beans. I personally abhor kidney beans and won't add them at all. I did try a couple of times adding B&M baked beans just a few minutes before serving and the chili had this nice flavor. If you try this, do not use any brown sugar, it makes the chili sweeter.

If I make a chili with a bite, I use Sriracha chili sauce. You have to be careful how much of this stuff you use. I made a batch of chili years ago, in one of those blue and white speckled clamboil pots and put a cup of the chili sauce in it. Those who ate it, especially those who are into spicy chili, had a hard time finishing their bowls or drank a lot. Also, the utensils I used to cook with and serve the chili with were permanently stained.

After that episode, I've learned to slowly add the chili sauce.

I never make chili the same way twice, or at least that I can remember.

However, there are 4 solid steps I do and use when making any chili;

1. I hand crush canned whole tomatoes. The irregular pieces make a better consistency when eating the chili.
2. If I am making a beef chili, I only use either skirt or flank steak or shoulder blade meat. I usually dry rub marinate the beef 24 hours before cutting it up into 1 inch cubes.
3. I always use a spanish onion for the flavor and dice the onion into larger pieces.
4. When sweating the garlic and onions, I add 3 shots of Jack Daniels and half the oil instead of the full amount of oil.

After that, anything goes. Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, Heinz 57, ketchup, mustard, grey poupon, molasses, brown sugar, gravy master or whatever else is in the cupboards or 'fridge at the time.

Also, 90% of the time, I do not add beans. I personally abhor kidney beans and won't add them at all. I did try a couple of times adding B&M baked beans just a few minutes before serving and the chili had this nice flavor. If you try this, do not use any brown sugar, it makes the chili sweeter.

If I make a chili with a bite, I use Sriracha chili sauce. You have to be careful how much of this stuff you use. I made a batch of chili years ago, in one of those blue and white speckled clamboil pots and put a cup of the chili sauce in it. Those who ate it, especially those who are into spicy chili, had a hard time finishing their bowls or drank a lot. Also, the utensils I used to cook with and serve the chili with were permanently stained.

After that episode, I've learned to slowly add the chili sauce.

yeah my wife always uses like steak or beef never ground and cuts it into chunks and I love me some sriracha

Back