Chuck Pagano?s ?Deep Hatred? for Patriots

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Chuck Pagano’s “Deep Hatred” for Patriots

https://sports.yahoo.com/chuck-pagano-deep-hatred-patriots-221207573.html

Chuck Paganos Deep Hatred for Patriots originally appeared on nbcsportschicago.com

New Bears Defensive Coordinator Chuck Pagano wants to beat the hell out of the Patriots just like the rest of us. He just a more personal reason for it.

Still, that "deep hatred" probably played a role in Pagano taking over a Bears defense he said could be the best in NFL history.

"My number 1 reason for trying to get back (into coaching?). Maybe I get another shot at them," Pagano told the Indy Star back in October as he was settling into his consulting job with the NFL. And by them, he of course meant the Patriots.

Pagano continues to play the hits to Bears fans - even if this was way before he was in the conversation for the DC job - because without the Patriots on the schedule in 2019, that would mean the two are facing off in Super Bowl LIIII in Miami.

Pagano has a long history against Tom Brady and Bill Belichick dating back to his head coaching days with the Colts (where he never beat New England) and even further back as DC and defensive assistant in Baltimore.

Pagano's playoff shortcomings against the Patriots certainly make his anti-New England prejudice understandable. The Patriots beat the Colts in the 2013 Divisional Round 42-20, and in the AFC Championship Game the next year 45-7.

"It's a deep hatred. Respect them, respect (Bill) Belichick, what he's doing. I respect Tom Brady, what a run they've had...so I do respect that. There is a deep hatred there."

Anyone else picturing Pagano pedaling away on Peloton ride number three of the day during the Super Bowl channeling Arya Stark's revenge refrain?

"The Hoody, TB 12, The Mountain Man Edelman, Gronk, McDaniels..."

The Patriots are in the 'head' of every NFL coach. That alone is a big advantage. Logical thinking starts going out the door when emotions like hatred start to enter the game planning mix.

That's pretty weak. Not sure I would want a coach who has a fanboy "hater" attitude.

Genuinely curious, does finding out Chuck Pagano doesn't like you provoke any emotion other than indifference?

If he really wanted another shot at NE, why did he take a job for a team that only plays NE once every four years?

Genuinely curious, does finding out Chuck Pagano doesn't like you provoke any emotion other than indifference?

Not me. Honestly. I can barely muster a "yeah?" in response.

Cheers, BostonTim

I mumbled something under my breath, not sure it was much more than a slight noise. Didn't even really make the effort to form an actual word.

Classic. Play up the hatred/rivalry thing when there's about zero chance he'll ever have opportunity to do something about it.

When I hear the name Pagano, the only thing I think is I'm glad he didn't die of cancer. No football/opponent thoughts occur.

It was more like 'Oh yeah, Chuck Pagano. That guy. The Fake Punt Guy.'

That was my reaction. :coffee:

All I remember from Pagano was he was a defensive coach and our defense stunk under him. One average season I think we were 12th or something. That is all.

Back