Coaching Profile: Bill O’Brien Rejoins Patriots as OC

Bill O’Brien is not the answer. This talk needs to end.

The talk about BOB can absolutely continue as we go into the off season soon among other names people want to bring up.

Shea Tierney, Brien Griese, Mike Mcoy, Brian Johnson.

What in BO'Bs resume makes him a preference. Has he been on a SB winner? How many playoff games has he won as a head coach? I think opinion s are being clouded by familiarity.

Garrett Riley

GARRETT RILEY

• TITLE Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks

Garrett Riley joined the TCU football program in December 2021 as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Riley served the previous two seasons under Sonny Dykes at SMU, where he guided one of the nation's most prolific offenses. Riley coached quarterbacks Shane Buechele and Tanner Mordecai to postseason honors. Buechele was selected to play in the East-West Shrine Bowl and Hula Bowl before signing with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Riley was named to the AFCA 35 Under 35 Coaches Leadership Institute.

Prior to his time at SMU, Riley spent the 2019 season as running backs coach at Appalachian State. The Mountaineers went 13-1, including a Sun Belt Conference Championship and a win over UAB in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. Riley mentored Darrynton Evans to Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year honors after totaling 1,740 all-purpose yards, including 1,250 rushing and 20 touchdowns. Evans was a third-round selection by the Tennessee Titans in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Before Appalachian State, Riley spent three seasons (2016-18) at Kansas in various capacities.

From 2013-15, Riley worked with the offense at East Carolina. He was the outside receivers coach in 2015, when Zay Jones caught 98 passes for 1,009 yards en route to setting the NCAA FBS career record with 399 receptions. Jones was selected 37th overall by the Buffalo Bills in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Riley got his start in the collegiate ranks in 2012 as running backs coach at Augustana College (Ill.). Prior to that, he was a quarterbacks and passing game assistant at Roosevelt High School in Lubbock in 2011.

A 2012 graduate of Texas Tech with a degree in general business, Riley played for the Red Raiders in 2008 and 2009 before transferring to Stephen F. Austin for the 2010 season. Riley saw action in 11 games for the Lumberjacks, leading them to a Southland Conference Championship and 9-3 record.

Riley and his wife, Lindsay, have two sons: Gibson and Greyson.

What in BO'Bs resume makes him a preference. Has he been on a SB winner? How many playoff games has he won as a head coach? I think opinion s are being clouded by familiarity.
he has been a decent hc...but being an oc is a whole 'nother ball of wax. i wouldn't mind him back but not at all opposed to looking elsewhere. and definitely don't want it to be the only move they make offensive coaching wise.

ahh that explains partly why lawrence has taken a jump. i also want them to look at det's qb coach.
There are some good young offensive minds out there. BB shouldn't be in a hurry & just take his time & find the right guy. My bet is he already has a list.

Maybe, but also people want a change.

There are some good young offensive minds out there. BB shouldn't be in a hurry & just take his time & find the right guy. My bet is he already has a list.
Agreed. Take his time, evaluate the candidates and get the new one in the day after the Bills game. He should have his list pretty well pared down by now.

He probably has Patricia doing the evaluations.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shoot:

True but exploring all options would be nice even if that includes BOB in the discussion.

he has been a decent hc...but being an oc is a whole 'nother ball of wax. i wouldn't mind him back but not at all opposed to looking elsewhere. and definitely don't want it to be the only move they make offensive coaching wise.

He was OC for 2 of Tb12’s best seasons ever as a Pat. And on the Texans won Division Titles with Brian Hoyer as QB and Ryan Mallett. and then later grew Watson and Hopkins into all pros.

Bill O’Brien knows offense

What if BOB doesn't want to come to NE?

He was OC for 2 of Tb12’s best seasons ever as a Pat. And on the Texans won Division Titles with Brian Hoyer as QB and Ryan Mallett. and then later grew Watson and Hopkins into all pros.

Bill O’Brien knows offense
agreed, he was a good oc. my point(which wasn't clear) was even if he were a bad h.c.(which he wasn't) that has nothing to do with his ability as an o.c.

Back