Coaching Profile: Bill O’Brien Rejoins Patriots as OC

I feel like this is going to be an underrated part of the hiring. Patricia and Judge didn't have the cache to tell Jones to chill the fuck out.
Why do you think it was Mac who was the issue? I watch time after time as Matt Patricia failed to get calls in in time for Mac to run the play. Mac had every reason to not be happy with the situation.

Who is the quick hitting receiver (s) ?

Good question. Right now it's Meyers and possibly could be Jonnu Smith given the chance. All year long the biggest void I've seen in our O is an Edelman/Welker type. Not just a checkdown guy but someone who can run an actual route & get open quickly in a telephone booth. That guy is the guy I've been lobbying for since early in the season.
That's the guy who is every QB's binkie.

I feel like this is going to be an underrated part of the hiring. Patricia and Judge didn't have the cache to tell Jones to chill the fuck out.
Why the fuck should Mac have chilled out? How many times did the offense get a delay of game call because the moron twins could get the call in on time? Better yet, all you have to do is look at is his rookie year when he had a competent O coordinator, did we hear a single thing about Mac whining and complaining?

Who is the quick hitting receiver (s) ?

Bourne, Meyers, Jonnu Smith

We don’t have a smurf slot WR like Welker or Edelman but O’Brien has said you play with what you have

What they have:
  • Good intermediate guys in Meyers and Bourne
  • Good YAC/screen guy in Jonnu
  • Solid all around TE in Hunter Henry plus red zone weapon
  • Multiple redundant risky chuck it deep WRs in Thornton, Parker, Agholor (not coming back)
  • Versatile RB in Stevenson

So if they go back to the elite 2010 and 2011 Patriots offensive style, which this personnel can do, that would immediately improve this offense. Heavy 12 personnel (2TE) with power runs mixed with play action, and also slants and crossers all day long.

Why do you think it was Mac who was the issue? I watch time after time as Matt Patricia failed to get calls in in time for Mac to run the play. Mac had every reason to not be happy with the situation.
Over and over again.

It will be awesome to see the parts of the offense that sucked just be decent again. Plays getting in on time. Plays not telegraphed to the D, creative EZ play calling and good use of individual talent just to name a few.

When this happens we never see that side of Jones again.

Well, if he gets three Lombardi’s he can go at it with BoB on the sidelines. I think we will all deal with it. 😀

We don’t have a smurf slot WR like Welker or Edelman but O’Brien has said you play with what you have

What they have:
  • Multiple redundant risky chuck it deep WRs in Thornton, Parker, Agholor (not coming back)

So if they go back to the elite 2010 and 2011 Patriots offensive style, which this personnel can do, that would immediately improve this offense. Heavy 12 personnel (2TE) with power runs mixed with play action, and also slants and crossers all day long.
I’m drooling a little bit.

What they have:

Or draft Slot WR Josh Downs, UNCarolina

Or draft Slot WR Josh Downs, UNCarolina

I know BB is big on value and counts how many snaps a player can contribute.
If we add yet another WR after drafting one and trading for one (Thornton, Parker), then who goes? It’s beyond silly to stack up 6+ different pass catchers at WR/TE who all get 4 targets a game and we pay through the roof on total salaries and draft capital.
Meyers, Bourne, Jonnu, Hunter, Thornton, Mondre…. that’s already 6 players to feed targets next year with an excellent new OC to use them. Improved OLine and OT will optimize all 6 players

Let's see if Meyers is coming back. I hope so but he's not a quick Slot guy even though he mostly plays from the slot.

Yes he’s not Welker or Edelman. But being the leading WR the last 2 yrs is something. He does what Deion Branch or Troy Brown used to do. I am not convinced we have to go back to a smurf slot guy, that was really for TB12 and he’s not here anymore. If we are talking about just going back to old Patriots offense, then abandon this deep threat chase, the Patriots have never had successful offense chasing these crappy chuck it deep risky vertical plays. I am all for getting rid of Thornton, Parker, Agholor - a failed experimental disaster, cut them all loose.

I have no faith in Smith . Being anything but one of BB biggest failures. We need a WR that can get quick seperation . I like BC Zay Flowers or OSU Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

Jonnu has been a major let down but I think he has skills if used properly. He led TEs in YAC on the Titans. We have to figure out how to use him as he makes 17M next year and we can’t move this contract. So a lot of heavy 2TE offense I think. And that only leaves room for 2 WRs getting a lot of snaps

1) mac had a right to be unhappy
2) it's not a good thing as the de facto leader of the offense to make it so publicly plain multiple times.

Yep, both are very true. Mac's immaturity showed and that will be something he will have to improve upon. He and Saban tied up several times when he was acting as the opposing quarterback on the practice squad when the defense was preparing. He was a fiery competitor who took no mercy on burning the defense in any way he could, and his fiery competitiveness aggravated Saban at times when the defense was getting burnt over and over. But ultimately, Saban complimented that aspect of Mac in that he was trying to beat you even when he was the third-string QB running the practice squad offense. Rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water, the better thing is for the staff to "coach" that part of him, harness it, and use it as an asset to not only better himself but the team.

Last edited:
I have no faith in Smith . Being anything but one of BB biggest failures. We need a WR that can get quick seperation . I like BC Zay Flowers or OSU Jaxon Smith-Njigba.
Thanks for spelling Nijgba for me. Lazar loves him because he always open, early and all over the field. The way Lazar spoke he would be the perfect fit.

Yep, both are very true. Mac's immaturity showed and that will be something he will have to improve upon. He and Saban tied up several times when he was acting as the opposing quarterback on the practice squad when the defense was preparing. He was a fiery competitor who took no mercy on burning the defense in any way he could, and his fiery competitiveness aggravated Saban at times when the defense was getting burnt over and over. But ultimately, Saban complimented that aspect of Mac in that he was trying to beat you even when he was the third-string QB running the practice squad offense. Rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water, the better thing is for the staff to "coach" that part of him, harness it, and use it as an asset to not only himself but the team.
agreed, don't want him to lower his expectations. he's said he wants to be coached hard, and that is a great sign . it sounds more to me like he didn't have enough coaching.

agreed, don't want him to lower his expectations. he's said he wants to be coached hard, and that is a great sign . it sounds more to me like he didn't have enough coaching.

Enough? Who knows.

At a high enough level? No way. Not close.

Grand slam home run by Lazar.

He had me at
O'Brien's play-calling experience shows up in how he sequences plays together as an in-game play-caller.
and
New England will get away from attacking the deep part of the field out of their shotgun formations as they did last year and return to winning in the middle of the field.

Back