Coaching Profile: Bill O’Brien Rejoins Patriots as OC

Why the fuck should Mac have chilled out? How many times did the offense get a delay of game call because the moron twins could get the call in on time? Better yet, all you have to do is look at is his rookie year when he had a competent O coordinator, did we hear a single thing about Mac whining and complaining?
Yes. He did it his rookie year as well. I'm talking about on the field, not secret squirrel backchannel running to the media nonsense though.

He had me at
O'Brien's play-calling experience shows up in how he sequences plays together as an in-game play-caller.
and
New England will get away from attacking the deep part of the field out of their shotgun formations as they did last year and return to winning in the middle of the field.
That's one thing that O'Brien did better than McDaniels, call plays in a drive to set up other plays in the same drive. McDaniels didn't really start doing that until his second run here, and hopefully O'Brien's experience in the last 10 years will encourage him to stick with the run.

It's really the one main criticism I had with O'Brien his first time here.

Thanks for spelling Nijgba for me. Lazar loves him because he always open, early and all over the field. The way Lazar spoke he would be the perfect fit.
That's what Jones has been Missing. He doesn't have that Go to option. He can count on to get open quickly. As much as I like Myers. He's not that option.

He had me at
O'Brien's play-calling experience shows up in how he sequences plays together as an in-game play-caller.
and
New England will get away from attacking the deep part of the field out of their shotgun formations as they did last year and return to winning in the middle of the field.

I know. And then he kept going and going. My ADD (no H) kicks in sometimes and I drift away from some of his stuff because he gets a bit repetitive.

Not with this article.

Last edited:
I have no faith in Smith . Being anything but one of BB biggest failures. We need a WR that can get quick seperation . I like BC Zay Flowers or OSU Jaxon Smith-Njigba.

I have faith in nothing, I do see every reason Jonnu can shine if used properly and I'm excited at the possibilities next year.

Should I say it?

There is an Edelman-type slot guy who seems to be itching to play again out there.... :coffee:

Yes, you should say it.

Want a 📣?

I'll Amazon Prime 1 day it to you.

Marcus Jones? :coffee:

BB sees him valuable on STs and gadget plays. We've seen what he can do. Edelman was tough as nails. IDK how tough Marcus is. iffy to risk your returner like that unless you have a backup.

I agree. Brady had Edelman/Welker and Gronk. We need an Edelman type of Slot guy.

While I'm holding out hope for a very problematic-to-defend true No. 1, I understand that Vegas is planning on
shopping Hunter Renfrow. He had a rough year with injuries and would count for about 11M vs. the cap for the acquiring team
(or so I have read), but that is a guy whose career trajectory was heading up at a steep angle prior to getting hurt
and he is a very talented dude who is, I think, a better, more productive player than Jakobi and he's best as a slot.

I think he's a lot more plausible to come here than Hopkins and maybe the idea deserves consideration. I also have
hope that Thornton can become that No. 1 with some hard work and experience, but would like to hedge my bet with
a guy who can scare people right now and Renfrow is more of a counter-puncher than a top guy.

1) mac had a right to be unhappy
2) it's not a good thing as the de facto leader of the offense to make it so publicly plain multiple times.

It’s a big deal because Mac was definitely doing the good soldier ‘aw shucks’ routine for a year and a half and then couldn’t take it anymore.

While I'm holding out hope for a very problematic-to-defend true No. 1, I understand that Vegas is planning on
shopping Hunter Renfrow. He had a rough year with injuries and would count for about 11M vs. the cap for the acquiring team
(or so I have read), but that is a guy whose career trajectory was heading up at a steep angle prior to getting hurt
and he is a very talented dude who is, I think, a better, more productive player than Jakobi and he's best as a slot.

I think he's a lot more plausible to come here than Hopkins and maybe the idea deserves consideration. I also have
hope that Thornton can become that No. 1 with some hard work and experience, but would like to hedge my bet with
a guy who can scare people right now and Renfrow is more of a counter-puncher than a top guy.
Agree on both players. I have Thornton in the same patch with other offensive players, who under performed last year. In other words, I’m cutting him slack until I see him with the coaching this year.

With regard to Hunter, Renfrow, how many years are left on his deal? if one year or two years are all that’s left I wonder if he would rewrite it for three or four at a lower annual cabin number?

Renfrow was a guy back when he was a college dew...I thought would be the PERFEKT Patriot...after Edeldew. Why BB never picked him, I have no idear. He is currently in a dill/pickle/emma...but, he wood fit right in with the BB "DEW YER JOB" propaganda. How much BB has to shell out however, remains 2 B seen.

I heard that on the way to work this am. I'm not sure about him since his production has fallen off so badly this year. There may be interest from BB but questions need answers.
I'd want some explanation from him as to why his per game production fell so dramatically & from Josh on why he's being traded. BB can find out. (Maybe Waller except for money)
For Background, he's played only 4 years but he's 27 years old. There's a concussion history with him in college and again this year with LV.
He's not close to either Edelman or Welker athletically. He's not near as quick or strong. He meets none of the 4 athletic parameters BB requires.

As a 3rd year player, he set personal bests in 2021 with 103 catches, 1,038 yards and 9 TDs. That was great.
But in 2022 Renfrow had only 36 catches, 336 yards and 2 TDs.

WTF happened to him?

Well, injuries allowed him to play only 10 games this year. A concussion Sept 18. kept him out a few and an abdominal muscle strain mid Nov. landed him on IR.
(More eyeopening to me is that he started only 1 of the 10 games he played even though he's listed as a starter.)
He was also impacted by the additions of Davante Adams and a healthy Darren Waller who was injured and missed much of '21. His targets were down as you might suspect.

But maybe there's more to it:
his average QB rating generated plummeted in '22.
2019 - 108
2020 - 107
2021 - 120
2022 - 70
and of his 50 targets, 4 were intercepted when he's only had 2 ints against him over his first 276 targets.

There's a reason he's on the trade block. Josh will give Belichick all the answers he wants. There may be interest.

Last edited:
Back