Coronavirus

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
I just thought of something....

You know those Americans that we took back to America from that cruise ship?

Did they fly back on the same plane? They did, didn't they?

Is it just me, or does that seem like a really bad idea for everyone on that plane?

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
Yep, bad idea.
I had to cancel my archaeological trip to Italy that I do each year. I feel terrible for my students , but needs must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AkPatsFan

Reaction score
Heading to Maui on Saturday for a couple weeks, last thing we want is to get quarantined for a couple weeks.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
I'm not worried about it. A whole lot of unfounded hysteria.

The CDC estimates that, 18,000 to 46,000 people in the US have died from the flu in the 2019-202 flu season.

Meanwhile the WHO reports 2,858 deaths worldwide due to COVID-19.

Granted the fatality rate is significantly higher for COVID-19, using the # infected vs dead #'s

COVID-19 is fatal in 3.4% cases, and, in the US, it is less than 0.1%.

But that assumes that the # COVID-19 cases is accurately tracked. Since the vast majority of those cases are in China, I'm not sure how reliable their #'s are.

Also, the flu is a well established illness that the CDC, et al, have experience estimating the # of cases based on previous experience and thus use mathematical models to estimate the total # of cases from those that they have actual medical data on, as explained here,

AFAIK, the COVID-19 infection #'s don't do that, but rely on actual data that indicates someone is infected.

So keep that in mind.

But let's do a thought experiment.

Assume that the US eventually develops the same # of cases that China has today (78K), with the same death toll (2.7K).

That's 15% of the deaths on the low end of the estimate for the flu this year.

So which disease should we be worried about again?

OP
Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
But that assumes that the # COVID-19 cases is accurately tracked. Since the vast majority of those cases are in China, I'm not sure how reliable their #'s are.

FWIW, the Chinese numbers are absolutely not accurate. Early on, when they were reporting updated numbers, the fatalities were 2%, exactly 2%, and stayed at 2%.

Real numbers would have had some variation.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
I don't suppose there's any chance the MSM is leaning hard on this nonsense to drive down the market hurt the economy and weaken Trump?

Cheers

johnlocke

Reaction score
I don't suppose there's any chance the MSM is leaning hard on this nonsense to drive down the market hurt the economy and weaken Trump?

Cheers

That is precisely what they are doing as well as openly hoping for a pandemic to bring the president down.

Sick bastards.

This was posted just now on FB from someone some of us know.

"Given a choice of the corona virus or four more years of Trump/Pence, I’ll take the corona virus."

patswin

WTF
Reaction score
I wish I could take credit for the observation, but I read that the only thing spreading faster than this virus is stupidity.

It's a wide gap too.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
The one the TV tells us to?

Are those the same TV adds that warn us not to take a medication if we're allergic to it?

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Well My freefalling life savings seem to have stabilized a bit.

better than bad news.

Cheers

shecolt

Reaction score
That is precisely what they are doing as well as openly hoping for a pandemic to bring the president down.

Sick bastards.

This was posted just now on FB from someone some of us know.

"Given a choice of the corona virus or four more years of Trump/Pence, I’ll take the corona virus."

I don't mean to offend you, but you have one very sick FB friend. Unless he/she believes that the corona virus is much ado about nothing, I can't even wrap my head around the type of hatred that would choose people becoming ill/dying.

johnlocke

Reaction score
I don't mean to offend you, but you have one very sick FB friend. Unless he/she believes that the corona virus is much ado about nothing, I can't even wrap my head around the type of hatred that would choose people becoming ill/dying.
Not a friend of mine but a friend of a member here and yes this is completely horrific thinking.

But I think it's even worse than you surmised. These people actually want millions to get sick to take down the President. That is how disturbed they are.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk