Coronavirus

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
This is almost solely the reason we decided to send our daughter back to MSU. She can easily take her classes here at home but instead we forked over the cost to live there with her sorority sisters so that she could have some semblance of a college life.

Our young people are suffering unnecessarily. Our middle-age people are suffering unnecessarily. Our older people without comorbidities are suffering unnecessarily.
My daughter chose the opposite.

She was going to at first. But then read the stipulations:
1 per dorm room.
Could only visit people on your floor of the dorm.
All extracurricular activities suspended indefinitely.

She said “Dad, I’m gonna pay $13,800 for that? That’s paying to be in prison. I’m saving the dough, doing the classes remote, and maintaining my work schedule.”

Wise choice.

Don’t get me wrong. If it were ANY semblance of a normal college life I’d love her to experience it. Maybe next semester.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
Can someone link to a credible information source on this statement?

I didn't see, and couldn't find the original statement, so I'm not sure of the context.

It's not clear to me just what would be "detoxified".

Was the author talking about making the virus inert so it could stimulate an immune response without triggering the disease?

Well that's how the polio vaccine works so it can be done with viruses. I have no idea if COVID is different.

Was the author saying that one couldn't "remove" the vaccine, after it was given?

AFAIK, that's true of every single vaccine. Once it's in your body, the immune system is responding to it, and it's having what ever interactions it will have.

That's why they test these things to identify if any unexpected outcomes.

Any COVID vaccine won't be unique in this regard.

Was the author concerned about the specific way an mRNA vaccine works?

This page has a description of that process.

Conventional vaccines usually contain inactivated disease-causing organisms or proteins made by the pathogen (antigens), which work by mimicking the infectious agent. They stimulate the body’s immune response, so it is primed to respond more rapidly and effectively if exposed to the infectious agent in the future.

RNA vaccines use a different approach that takes advantage of the process that cells use to make proteins: cells use DNA as the template to make messenger RNA (mRNA) molecules, which are then translated to build proteins. An RNA vaccine consists of an mRNA strand that codes for a disease-specific antigen. Once the mRNA strand in the vaccine is inside the body’s cells, the cells use the genetic information to produce the antigen. This antigen is then displayed on the cell surface, where it is recognised by the immune system.

So rather than using a deactivated or weakened virus to stimulate an immune response, an mRNA vaccine will have your own cells produce the surface proteins normally found on the infectious organism (bacteria or virus) and that stimulates an immune response.

Now it's not clear to me, how this mRNA process limits the number of cells in the body that now produce the infectious protein. Clearly if enough cells do this, then you will have an issue because your immune system will start attacking otherwise healthy cells. If that gets out of hand, that could be a problem.

Presumably they have some way of limiting the cells that do this.

Of course, this type of vaccine, like a conventional one, cannot be "undone". So the same requirement for testing applies.

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
My daughter chose the opposite.

She was going to at first. But then read the stipulations:
1 per dorm room.
Could only visit people on your floor of the dorm.
All extracurricular activities suspended indefinitely.

She said “Dad, I’m gonna pay $13,800 for that? That’s paying to be in prison. I’m saving the dough, doing the classes remote, and maintaining my work schedule.”

Wise choice.

Don’t get me wrong. If it were ANY semblance of a normal college life I’d love her to experience it. Maybe next semester.
It’s very likely that your daughter made a very wise choice. The Greek life at Michigan State seems to be as close to normal as possible these days. There have been mandatory quarantines but they have been few and far between which has allowed the sororities and fraternities to continue their semi-normal lives. Rushing has been both in person and virtual.

Short of this we would have her home. Believe it or not, Lynn and I have received an invitation from her sorority to come up the weekend after next to help them celebrate their incoming sister class. I hope that the university allows this to happen. If it does, we will go up on Saturday morning as this will be the first game for Michigan State football. Can’t go on campus and can’t tailgate anywhere near it but we certainly can help them tailgate other ways and other places. :)

Last edited:

deec77

Reaction score
Both of those "news" sources are quite questionable at best. I will believe it when I see it on the BBC or anywhere else

How about

And the from the Doctors website.

And lastly from the WHO its self.

And one more for good measure

~Dee~

patsload

Unregistered User
Reaction score
How about

~Dee~
Interesting, there were two open letters. "The first was "In a first open letter to Belgian policymakers, published on Thursday, over 40 authors demand new, multidisciplinary working groups, De Tijd and L’Echo reported. “The approach to the COVID-19 health crisis has enormous shortcomings and is inadequate,” the authors said.

“The crisis is being managed by a handful of experts appointed on the basis of unknown and unclear criteria,” they continued. “Too many decisions taken in recent months have an unfounded scientific basis. All too often, the direct and indirect impact of the measures has been underestimated.”

They are asking for a thorough evaluation of the effectiveness of the measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus. The authors stressed that “the errors of the past can no longer be reproduced” and that “the future management of the crisis must be scientifically sound, rational and proportionate.”

Finally, they asserted that “citizens have the right to objective and honest information,” adding that “the current climate of covidophobia is completely unjustified and generates harmful anxiety for a large part of the population.”
How about

~Dee~
Thanks

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
It's not clear to me just what would be "detoxified".
I think it must mean to detoxify, i.e. cure, the virus itself. Turn it into an honorable citizen whom you'd be happy to have at your next party.

Then you don't have to cure anybody. Or immunize anybody. Its like all good.

Cheers, :toast:

Last edited:

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
I think it must mean to detoxify, i.e. cure, the virus itself. Turn it into an honorable citizen whom you'd be happy to have at your next party.

Then you don't have to cure anybody. Or immunize anybody. Its like all good.

Cheers, :toast:

Kinda like this?

Coltsfan2theend

Semi Pro Sharp Shooter in Training
Reaction score

Saban had a positive test on Wednesday then three negative tests Thursday, Friday and Saturday? How many have the luxury of being able to get tested like that in normal life? How many test positive and were not actually positive? How many are negative and not negative? How can anyone trust the case count number anymore?

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score

Saban had a positive test on Wednesday then three negative tests Thursday, Friday and Saturday? How many have the luxury of being able to get tested like that in normal life? How many test positive and were not actually positive? How many are negative and not negative? How can anyone trust the case count number anymore?
Just a reality.

People of prominence get preferential treatment.

That’s life.

johnlocke

Reaction score

I dunno, man. My girl gets tested once week and she works with dead people while my nurse friend Jenn has yet to be tested. Weird stuff.

Last edited:

Coltsfan2theend

Semi Pro Sharp Shooter in Training
Reaction score
There is some that do. My wife has yet to be tested and is a nurse. Some of her coworkers have because they got exposed or got sick. Bottom line is if I ever get a positive test, I will try my hardest to be tested at least three times to confirm the test was correct.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score

Put this guy on the job :coffee:

johnlocke

Reaction score

Concord Hospital
is
sharing a COVID-19 Update.​

2tShponsfonraedu ·

As of October 19, we've ordered COVID-19 tests for approximately 20,638 patients. To date, we've received results for 20,566 patients, which includes 227 COVID-19 positive results. Of the 227 positive results, ZERO patients are currently hospitalized.

spacecrime

Reaction score
JANESVILLE, WI (The Borowitz Report)—Calling New Zealand’s Prime Minister “crooked and rigged,” Donald J. Trump accused Jacinda Ardern of competently handling the coronavirus pandemic in order to get reëlected.

Speaking at a rally in Wisconsin, Trump called Ardern’s use of public-health measures to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus on her nation “a sleazy political move like you wouldn’t believe.”

“This woman wanted to get reëlected, so she decided to go after the coronavirus and beat it,” he said. “This woman is a disgrace.”

Ramping up his attack on Ardern, Trump accused her of securing her election victory by “listening to scientists.”

“She was talking to scientists every day,” Trump charged. “It’s all going to come out when we see her e-mails.”

In a final denunciation of Ardern’s successful handling of the pandemic, Trump vowed, “You’ll never see me pulling something like that.” :coffee:

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
JANESVILLE, WI (The Borowitz Report)—Calling New Zealand’s Prime Minister “crooked and rigged,” Donald J. Trump accused Jacinda Ardern of competently handling the coronavirus pandemic in order to get reëlected.

Speaking at a rally in Wisconsin, Trump called Ardern’s use of public-health measures to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus on her nation “a sleazy political move like you wouldn’t believe.”

“This woman wanted to get reëlected, so she decided to go after the coronavirus and beat it,” he said. “This woman is a disgrace.”

Ramping up his attack on Ardern, Trump accused her of securing her election victory by “listening to scientists.”

“She was talking to scientists every day,” Trump charged. “It’s all going to come out when we see her e-mails.”

In a final denunciation of Ardern’s successful handling of the pandemic, Trump vowed, “You’ll never see me pulling something like that.” :coffee:

Shouldn't this be in the Political Humor thread? :huh:

HSanders

omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
Reaction score
LMAO...but..what about SCIENCE!$%@@$$$@&&*$#@!1!!!1?

San Bernardino and Riverside counties will offer face shields to the voters around an unmasked person.

Nowhere in California will a voter who refuses to wear a mask be turned away, election officials said.

In the final weeks before one of the most contentious presidential elections in recent history, as the country grapples with a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic, more than a million Californians have already voted by mail.

A polling station, with its potentially long lines, indoor setting and voting booths occupied by one person after another, poses a health risk, despite workers constantly wiping down surfaces and offering masks to anyone who forgot theirs.

But some people will still show up on Nov. 3, whether to witness the historic moment or to ensure their votes are cast amid worries about mail delivery and ballot counting delays. Poll workers have been instructed to help everyone cast a ballot — even those who insist on proceeding without a mask.

Like so much else this year, mask-wearing has become politically hazardous terrain, a mandatory public safety measure to some and an offensive government overreach to others.

Anxious to avoid dramas like those involving irate, maskless supermarket customers that have been shared countless times on social media, state election officials have issued detailed guidelines for keeping voters safe while minimizing confrontation.

In the absence of masks, social distancing is the primary way to avoid coronavirus spread, note the guidelines from Secretary of State Alex Padilla’s office to county election officials, last revised on Aug. 27. The maskless person should be assured that he or she will still be allowed to cast a ballot and taken to a booth with plenty of space around it.

Poll workers should be trained in de-escalation techniques such as using a calm voice and body language that convey respect for the person’s right to vote. “Intense conversation and shouting” could further endanger others by spraying droplets, the guidelines note.

“The right to vote is of utmost importance,” the guidelines say. “Even voters neglectful of important health and safety precautions must be allowed to vote if they enter a voting location.”

Welcoming unmasked people into polling stations is a notable departure from state rules requiring face coverings in all indoor public spaces, such as stores, buses and hospitals. Those rules can be superseded by guidelines such as the ones from the secretary of state.

The constitutional right to vote is not absolute. In some states, felons are prohibited from voting. The U.S. Supreme Court has recently upheld legislation in some states requiring a photo ID to vote — arguably a more onerous hurdle than wearing a mask, said Jonathan Adler, a law professor at Case Western Reserve University.

Restricting in-person voting for public health reasons would probably be legal, as long as other options, such as mail-in ballots, are available, Adler said.

Turning away unmasked voters would be analogous to other polling place bans like those on guns or campaign advertising, said Rick Hasen, a UC Irvine law professor.

But California election officials have decided not to tangle with voting rights, despite the risk that unmasked people could transmit the coronavirus to poll workers and fellow voters.

Sam Mahood, a spokesman for the secretary of state’s office, said the guidelines for county election officials are intended to ensure safety while allowing everyone to vote in-person.

“The Secretary of State’s office views voting as a foundational constitutional right for citizens,” Mahood said in a statement.

Annabelle de St. Maurice, co-chief infection prevention officer at UCLA Health, said the riskiest part of voting will be the time spent in line. She recommends that people consider alternative methods like mail-in or early voting.

“The highest risk will be waiting in line because you’ll potentially be clustered around people for a long time,” De St. Maurice said. “The average time someone spends at a voting booth is pretty short, so that would be a brief interaction and should be low risk.”

Problems could occur if many unmasked voters show up at once and there are not enough poll workers to assist them, she said.

When voters go to the polls on Nov. 3, they will probably see tape on the ground for social distancing, booths with ample space between them and hand sanitizer at every turn. In addition to neighborhood polling stations, they can vote at sports arenas such as Dodger Stadium and Staples Center. The Honda Center in Anaheim will have a drive-through voting option.

County election officials have come up with various plans for dealing with unmasked voters, whether it is helping them cast their ballots outdoors or providing extra protective gear for people nearby.

In San Diego County, voters who refuse to wear a mask will be moved to a socially distanced outdoor booth reserved for nonmask wearers, said Registrar of Voters Michael Vu.

San Bernardino County Registrar Bob Page said poll workers will focus on the safety of voters near an unmasked voter by social distancing and providing face shields.

“If there’s an ability to spread out more, we’ll take advantage of that,” Page said.

Riverside County will follow a similar plan, registrar Rebecca Spencer said.

In Orange County, where mask debates and defiance of lockdown orders have ballooned during the pandemic, voting centers will be open for an extra day beyond the state-recommended four days, Registrar of Voters Neal Kelley said.

The county has prepared 300,000 each of disposable masks and pens for polling stations, in addition to adding more ballot drop boxes, prioritizing larger polling sites and placing unmasked voters in socially distanced booths.

But Kelley expects in-person turnout to be low. He said that in the March primary, 80% of Orange County voters turned in a ballot they had received in the mail.

“I don’t think there’s any reason to believe we won’t see 8 or 9 out of 10 voters do the same for the November election,” Kelley said.

[snip]

Anna Timm, a 31-year-old from Orange who works at Disneyland, said she will deposit her ballot in a county drop box.

“It’s the best of both worlds,” said Timm, who will vote for Biden. “You can take your time and you can vote in your pajamas.”

[snip]

Temple City resident Carrie Chan, 44, said she planned on wearing a mask to vote in person. The paralegal planned on voting for President Trump at a polling center out of her distrust for mail-in voting.

“We live in America where we have the freedom of choice. I don’t think we should mandate what people do,” Chan said. “I’ll wear my mask and keep my distance, but that’s not something we can force others to do.”