Coronavirus

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
Johnlockes post isn’t compelling enough?

Firsthand unfiltered non-media propagated information.

Not in the slightest. Who the F are those people he knows, where do they work, under what capacity?

If that had been a liberal slanted post, you would have dismissed it immediately. I'm going to believe the people in the ER and ICU units, the EMS drivers and more people on the actual front lines who are going on the record through interviews and telling us how bad it is. I'm not going to believe a 2nd hand comment from who the fuck knows.

Un-fucking-believable.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
Not in the slightest. Who the F are those people he knows, where do they work, under what capacity?

If that had been a liberal slanted post, you would have dismissed it immediately. I'm going to believe the people in the ER and ICU units, the EMS drivers and more people on the actual front lines who are going on the record through interviews and telling us how bad it is. I'm not going to believe a 2nd hand comment from who the fuck knows.

Un-fucking-believable.

Yeah. Media will never blow something up. Ever.

What has he ever said or done to cause you to be so dismissive of his post? He seems extremely measured and rational with everything I read from him. I don’t sense any purpose or goal to lie to us here. Why would I doubt his firsthand communication?

This forum is a perfect microcosm. A global footprint. Has ANYONE posted here about being afflicted? Knowing someone that is? Firsthand? Even secondhand?

I’ve seen PLENTY via the media over the last year, not related to Coronavirus, that has been pure, unadulterated lies.

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
Yeah. Media will never blow something up. Ever.

What has he ever said or done to cause you to be so dismissive of his post? He seems extremely measured and rational with everything I read from him. I don’t sense any purpose or goal to lie to us here. Why would I doubt his firsthand communication?

This forum is a perfect microcosm. A global footprint. Has ANYONE posted here about being afflicted? Knowing someone that is? Firsthand? Even secondhand?

I’ve seen PLENTY via the media over the last year, not related to Coronavirus, that has been pure, unadulterated lies.

The vast majority of people who post here worship at the feet of a narcissistic pathological liar and get your news from Fox, his propaganda machine. I don't think any of you are qualified to comment on media coverage.

Dwight Schrute

Deplorable #63174288
Reaction score
The vast majority of people who post here worship at the feet of a narcissistic pathological liar and get your news from Fox, his propaganda machine. I don't think any of you are qualified to comment on media coverage.

So sayeth the high lord of the internetz?

I am a fan of how the president has run things. Clearly you aren’t. But if you’re going to chastise one for lies just exactly where do you draw the line at your own pathetic party? Obama didn’t lie? Biden? Please.

And while I do watch a lot of Fox it’s not the only source of info I take in. There’s local. You can’t tell me here in MA that isn’t slanted hard left. And I’ll check in on occasion when a big story breaks on CNN or MSNBC to hear their side. When they insert opinion vs news I click.

Plus radio all day.

If that’s not enough info sourcing to post here I’ll be sure to ask permission in the future.

patsload

Unregistered User
Reaction score

Un-fucking-believable.

I Facetimed with our friend who is a nurse at Mount Auburn, she said the opposite. The daughter of a friend of mine that I grew up with in Canada who works in.a NYC hospital as an anesthesiologist posted this on her Facebook page “Stay the fuck home. This shit is real. I was skeptical when this reared it’s ugly face but, I no longer am. We have run out of ventilators we are short staffed and overworked. People are dying. Age does not matter,”

Weird, huh?

HipKat

Remembers When The Pats Sucked
Reaction score
You know, I am still the the "Covid-19 is real, and more of a threat than the flu" department, but I'm beginning to see more and more evidence of an awful lot of fakery, and hospitals outright lying about conditions.

I believe the crisis is real, but I believe that it is being exploited in all kinds of ways beyond what the actual problem requires.

I can tell you my visit to the outpatient clinic are the hospital yesterday was definitely unique. You get screened and have your temp taken before you walk in the door. If you have a fever and/or symptoms of CV, you go a tent they have erected in a parking lot until you can be safely admitted. My 4 country region of Central, IL only has 35 confirmed cases but 3 days ago it was 14 and the hospital I go to is a private facility, not a big corporate hospital, but still the staff is taking no chances. Still people here are not t making this seriously and are just doing what they always did. Traffic is steady, open stores are full.

Everyone wears a mask at all times. Only 1 patient in the waiting room and maintenance is non-stop disinfecting everything.

Talking to the people at the stations I was set up for, they're all on edge and they all know other medical personnel that are now sick with the virus at other facilities.

My followup will be a phone call, unless I DO have something major.

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
Johnlockes post isn’t compelling enough?

Firsthand unfiltered non-media propagated information.

And I have friends in CT, NYC, and New Orleans who are working 14 hour shifts, can’t be with their families because of contamination, etc.

Or how about those doctors Italy who had to work after contracting the virus , and then died?

JHC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnlocke

Reaction score
Sorry I started this shitstom. I simply reported what 2 people that don't know each other reported that work in NYC hospitals.

I can't imagine what agenda they would have so take it for what it's worth.

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
Even The Grand Exalted Ruler is finally admitting how much worse this is going to get. Easily his most sobering update yet. Best case with extreme mitigation is 150-250,000 deaths lasting through June. With no mitigation, estimates would jump over 2 million.

And now an aircraft carrier is a hot spot and the Captain is begging for help.

But it's all a liberal plot :BS:

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
Sorry I started this shitstom. I simply reported what 2 people that don't know each other reported that work in NYC hospitals.

I can't imagine what agenda they would have so take it for what it's worth.

I didn't have an issue with your post, but with the response.
While we have many opposite political views, I've always found your level headedness to be refreshing.

I'm sorry to you for my role in escalation. I rarely voice my opinion here, but events last month have forced me to read more than I care to.

king of kings

All Hail
Reaction score
If people think the death toll will be over 200,000 . Congress & president should give the people what they want. Call a shelter in place order . Over the most affected states. I referring to one called that shut down all of Boston & surrounding areas. A couple days after the bombings.

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score
If people think the death toll will be over 200,000 . Congress & president should give the people what they want. Call a shelter in place order . Over the most affected states. I referring to one called that shut down all of Boston & surrounding areas. A couple days after the bombings.

Why not simply let the states and municipalities handle that?

I mean, if state and local leaders were completely ignoring what was going on and there were a reason for the federal government to step in, I could see your argument, but that isn't the case. Why add a redundant layer?

deec77

Reaction score

If I can give my first hand perspective....I can only speak to my state, county, town.... right outside the hardest hit NY city metro area.

I’m working with hospital employees, parents, children, teachers..... first responders etc. We are part of the “tri state”, metro area. We shut down at the same time we worked with NY and we aren’t even close to their numbers.

As far as misinformation every news station is guilty period. I’ll give you a perfect example CBS showed pictures of an emergency room the same room twice once it was said to be Italy and then it was supposedly NY it was Italy, most should have known it couldn’t be NY because of HIPAA.

From where I sit, treating children, and how parents should handle the situation the news is lacking right now and making things worse for everyone. Disinformation is wrong no matter what your political leaning is, and both sides are guilty. It truly saddens me to think that we can’t find a common ground during this time....

Perhaps I should keep my cool but.... this truly saddens me. I wasn’t an Obama supporter at all, nor am I a Trump supporter....I support the country and this is so hard from my perspective.....and those who come to me for guidance. Unity is what we need regardless of politics.

~Dee~

king of kings

All Hail
Reaction score
Why not simply let the states and municipalities handle that?

I mean, if state and local leaders were completely ignoring what was going on and there were a reason for the federal government to step in, I could see your argument, but that isn't the case. Why add a redundant layer?

I deactivated My FB account I got tried of worst case scenarios & negative posts. Just give worst case scenario to stop the spread. I do understand why they don't want too . It would completely destroy the economy. I can tell you right now their the same amount of traffic on I70 driving to work.

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
Just wondering, testing by statistically valid random sampling?

Cheers

Well I can think of two examples, both of which I posted.

The first one was a study of the people on the Diamond Princess. In case your forgot, that was the cruise ship in the Pacific that got quarantined.

From the link.

OK, here are my questions. We had a perfect petri-dish coronavirus disease (COVID-19) experiment with the cruise ship “Diamond Princess”. That’s the cruise ship that ended up in quarantine for a number of weeks after a number of people tested positive for the coronavirus. I got to wondering what the outcome of the experiment was.

So I dug around and found an analysis of the situation, with the catchy title of Estimating the infection and case fatality ratio for COVID-19 using age-adjusted data from the outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship (PDF), so I could see what the outcomes were.

As you might imagine, before they knew it was a problem, the epidemic raged on the ship, with infected crew members cooking and cleaning for the guests, people all eating together, close living quarters, lots of social interaction, and a generally older population. Seems like a perfect situation for an overwhelming majority of the passengers to become infected.

And despite that, some 83% (82.7% – 83.9%) of the passengers never got the disease at all … why?

Next, slightly less than half the passengers (48.6% ± 2.0%) who got the disease showed NO symptoms.

Then there was the OpEd that Dwight first pointed out.

“On March 6, all 3,300 people of Vò were tested, and 90 were positive, a prevalence of 2.7%,” the professors said. “Applying that prevalence to the whole province (population 955,000), which had 198 reported cases, suggests there were actually 26,000 infections at that time. That’s more than 130-fold the number of actual reported cases. Since Italy’s case fatality rate of 8% is estimated using the confirmed cases, the real fatality rate could in fact be closer to 0.06%.”

So there's two data points that may or may not be representative.

In the first, only 20% of the people were actually infected, in an environment that would match the "No action taken" scenario that the "models" predict 2 million dead in the US.

And then we have this article that pegs the mortality rate at 0.5% based on the cruise ship.

So if we apply a 20% infection rate and a 0.5% mortality rate to the 330 million US population, I get 330,000 for the worse case scenario, not 2 million.

Yes, 330,000 is a horrible outcome, but it is what that data says would happen if we did absolutely nothing.

Now let's apply the second bit of data, from the second link, regarding the 0.06% mortality rate, along with a 20% infection rate of the US.

That's 39,600 dead.

Again a tragedy, but not all that different from what the flu does every year.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Screw modeling and all the hair splitting arguments about death rates transmission rates, yada yada yada.
All one has to do is watch the reports from the front line Dr's. and nurses. They are shocked, scared and broken emotionally that they can't save many of their patients. Many are getting sick themselves and many have died. I think Italy had lost over 60 Dr's. from covid-19 infections Never seen that with the normal yearly flu outbreaks. Never has the health care system been so overloaded in my lifetime. Those reactions alone tell me just how bad this virus is. What we do individually, and how serious people take this can make a big difference in the numbers in the end. This isn't something any of us, young, old, healthy, fragile, should take lightly.

Just curious, do you have any links for this?

Mr NFLfan

Reaction score
I live where the men are men and the sheep are ner

I agree Bid....its like a trump rally in here. Has the my pillow guy posted in here yet?

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
I agree Bid....its like a trump rally in here. Has the my pillow guy posted in here yet?

It used to be much more even in here. Not anymore.

To be fair, a lot of lefties here were riding the Russian collusion train pretty hard, and thought that Mueller was the answer to Trump.
When that failed in spectacular fashion, many lefties left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

johnlocke

Reaction score
It used to be much more even in here. Not anymore.

To be fair, a lot of lefties here were riding the Russian collusion train pretty hard, and thought that Mueller was the answer to Trump.
When that failed in spectacular fashion, many lefties left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You are absolutely correct, PF.