Could we beat this team?

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you think would happen if the 2020 Pats played a team made up of the following players.

I'm guessing that some of you will figure out why I chose the players below, but if you aren't sure, then please ask and I'll be glad to explain it.

QB Tom Brady
WRs Danny Amendola, Brandin Cooks, Philip Dorsett
TE Rob Gronkowski
RB Dion Lewis
OL Trent Brown, Jordan Devey, Cam Fleming, Ted Karras, Russell Bodine

DL Trey Flowers, Akiem Hicks, Danny Shelton, Chandler Jones
LB Jamie Collins, Kyle Van Noy, L. J. Fort
CB Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan
S Duron Harmon, Eric Rowe

KR Cordarelle Patterson
P Corey Bojorquez
K Robbie Gould

That team would curvestomp this year's Pats. It would be something like the Bills game in week 16, me thinks.

No it's former Pats that are still active in the NFL and most of them are starters except for the OL I believe.

I was just wondering what you think would happen if the 2020 Pats played a team made up of the following players.

I'm guessing that some of you will figure out why I chose the players below, but if you aren't sure, then please ask and I'll be glad to explain it.

QB Tom Brady
WRs Danny Amendola, Brandin Cooks, Philip Dorsett
TE Rob Gronkowski
RB Dion Lewis
OL Trent Brown, Jordan Devey, Cam Fleming, Ted Karras, Russell Bodine

DL Trey Flowers, Akiem Hicks, Danny Shelton, Chandler Jones
LB Jamie Collins, Kyle Van Noy, L. J. Fort
CB Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan
S Duron Harmon, Eric Rowe

KR Cordarelle Patterson
P Corey Bojorquez
K Robbie Gould

LOL. I think 2020 gives a great fight; that OL is severely lacking and could be had. TB12 gets sacked 20 times. 0-0 tie.
I'd love to be able to spend some time on those players' contracts, though.
Most got overpaid the minute we said goodbye.

Lol, 0-0 tie

Come on, the Brady to cooks to get down the field and Gronk will punch it in.

I'd think the 2020 Pats would have a shot...

assuming no injuries here, as most of those guys got ir'ed this year

that O-Line you've assembled of former Patriots is hot garbage...

Cooks would give them an issue, but not amendola & dorsett... Dion Lewis is spent...

That front 7 looks pretty stout, with Chandler Jones/Trey Flowers there... had forgotten about LJ Fort, who was here for the song and dance portion of camp in 2015...

So I think they'd have a shot... then I remember Cam can't throw the damn ball so what the hell does it matter... our offense cant score points, an the defense got worse as time went by... every time we faced a decent qb except for the chargers, who had an inept coach... as soon as the secondary has to take a step back from the line, the defense was exploited by the run,

The OL is the only questionable thing here. Trent Brown only played 5 games this year. Ted Karras graded out as a middle of the road Center. Cam Fleming is pretty average. Then there's Jordan Devey, a practice squad player who was active one single game and Bodine who's a COVID opt-out. Seems like a flimsy OL, but Brady could get rid of the ball quickly with Gronk and Amendola. Cooks and Dorsett can stretch the field. I guess it would depend which Dorsett would show up. 2018 Dorsett who made plays or the clueless 2109 version. Throw in some passes to Dion Lewis, some jet sweeps and even some runs at HB for Patterson, and I think the offense can make this Pats defense look bad.

Front seven looks stout. Flowers, Hicks, Shelton, Jones, KVN are all more than solid. Jamie Collins is a toss up and LJ Fort is whatever. Seems that it would be enough to stifle Cam's and Harris/Sony's running.

The secondary would do a good job keeping the receivers in control since that secondary is slightly above average, and well, we know the receivers are well below average.

I guess it would really all depend on what defense would show up for the Pats. The defense that made Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson and Herbert look like horrible versions of themselves, or the defense that got absolutely shredded by Wilson/Watson/Flacco. Unfortunately, I'd lean towards the latter.

Edit: one notable omission from Hawg's squad is that ticking time bomb Antonio Brown.

Last edited:
The OL is the only questionable thing here. Trent Brown only played 5 games this year. Ted Karras graded out as a middle of the road Center. Cam Fleming is pretty average. Then there's Jordan Devey, a practice squad player who was active one single game and Bodine who's a COVID opt-out. Seems like a flimsy OL, but Brady could get rid of the ball quickly with Gronk and Amendola. Cooks and Dorsett can stretch the field. I guess it would depend which Dorsett would show up. 2018 Dorsett who made plays or the clueless 2109 version. Throw in some passes to Dion Lewis, some jet sweeps and even some runs at HB for Patterson, and I think the offense can make this Pats defense look bad.

Front seven looks stout. Flowers, Hicks, Shelton, Jones, KVN are all more than solid. Jamie Collins is a toss up and LJ Fort is whatever. Seems that it would be enough to stifle Cam's and Harris/Sony's running.

The secondary would do a good job keeping the receivers in control since that secondary is slightly above average, and well, we know the receivers are well below average.

I guess it would really all depend on what defense would show up for the Pats. The defense that made Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson and Herbert look like horrible versions of themselves, or the defense that got absolutely shredded by Wilson/Watson/Flacco. Unfortunately, I'd lean towards the latter.

Edit: one notable omission from Hawg's squad is that ticking time bomb Antonio Brown.

Yeah, there are no good Pats former OLs in the NFL, unless you count Trent Brown, and he is now an RT who appears to have spent a considerable amount of his Raider's contract cash on snacks. I don't know what PFF says, but he doesn't look like the same guy to me, but he helped us win a Super Bowl.

There are also no good RBs, but at least people recognize Dion Lewis' name.

I wouldn't put Antonio Brown on a list of anything except career assholes. He was here for a week. Besides, we'd have enough problems covering the other 3 guys.

All I was trying to get across is that you can put together an entire starting team of guys that we couldn't keep, wouldn't keep or couldn't make it here and they could likely kick our ass. If I was Boston media person I'd have said "Belichick is too cheap to pay them", but that is the cheapest of cheap shots and I don't buy it anyhow.

Interesting premise Hawg.

In your opinion would the "former" team have been able to fit under the cap?

The Oline on that team looks like the big weakness.
Thanks.

I don't have the patience to look up the cap hits for every guy to answer your question, but my guess is that the XPats couldn't even come close to fitting under.

I have to believe that there isn't another team that could come close to making up a competitive team of current ex-players like this, so maybe it says that we
aren't quite as bad at acquiring NFL players as it presently believed. Maybe it says something about the economics of the league and maybe we're doing exactly
what we have to right now.

Who’s coaching? Flores, patrica, or judge?

Yeah, there are no good Pats former OLs in the NFL, unless you count Trent Brown, and he is now an RT who appears to have spent a considerable amount of his Raider's contract cash on snacks. I don't know what PFF says, but he doesn't look like the same guy to me, but he helped us win a Super Bowl.

There are also no good RBs, but at least people recognize Dion Lewis' name.

I wouldn't put Antonio Brown on a list of anything except career assholes. He was here for a week. Besides, we'd have enough problems covering the other 3 guys.

All I was trying to get across is that you can put together an entire starting team of guys that we couldn't keep, wouldn't keep or couldn't make it here and they could likely kick our ass. If I was Boston media person I'd have said "Belichick is too cheap to pay them", but that is the cheapest of cheap shots and I don't buy it anyhow.
I am missing your point totally. Can you please explain. Sorry if it is obvious. It is Monday and I am having one of those days. LOL

Back