Cowturds: Gamete Thread

I like it here, good, knowledgeable fans. Problem is I'm NFC and y'all are AFC. We rarely have commonality.

I posted over in the "On to Dallas"(?) thread (I left a little bio there too) that what I have been doing is going to our weekly opponents message board and talking a little football. Nothing wrong with being respectful and no need to "get up in someone's face". Our society has regressed to the point that some see that as an admirable quality. I think it's a character flaw.

Dallas fans get a bad rap. It's warranted sometimes. But many of us know football, a lot of us choose to not make a big deal of it. Texas is football country. HS games with 30,000-50,000 attendance all the time. Regular season games with 20K routinely. We do football all the time all our lives and even HS can be high level. We don't do hockey here (poor weather conditions), basketball is kinda meh, baseball we do good, but football is king.

I'll not troll you guys . I'll look for reasons to come back. It's a good board from what I've read so far (but I've only been to the football posts).
I see no reason to blow smoke about the Dallas team. I can speak of the good along with the bad. I'm encouraged by the team this year (I've been a fan since 1966). Overcoming the Jerry Jones GM impediment has been a challenge. His ego and meddlesome ways has tried my fandom especially after coming from the Landry/Schramm eras and their invisible management. Dallas now has a pretty good personnel system and lives on their homegrown (draft) talent. Jerry (he has many names : Jerrah, Booger, Uncle Festus, . . . ) has stepped back some and there has been growth.

BTW, I grew up 10 miles from where Jimmy Johnson went to HS and grew up. Insignificant factoid, Jimmy went to HS with Janis Joplin.
I hope you find reasons to come back. We have fans from a quite a number of teams, it be nice to add one from Dallas. ( going by memory I don't believe we have one?)

We may be in difference conferences but we can still talk sports especially teams that our teams play againsts. We might play a team that Dallas has already played for example

So much unknown to me for this game.

First off - the gamesmanship of BB. How he plays Dallas and can his teamimpose his game plan on them. Any OC playing him has to be fluid.

I will be kinda shocked if NE can shut down Dallas run game (<120 yds) as I've seen nobody do so since TB in game #1 but they had the personnel to do it. Dallas run blocking is the OL strong suit. They all grade good to excellent here. Pass blocking there are weaknesses especially at center where the center (Biadasz) has been overpowered by bull rushes bt 1Tech/NG types all year. RG, Williams, is a potential liability too. I think Dallas tries to run (their strongest suit) thus I see BB trying to take that away.

I also think NE attacks Dallas in the middle of the field. They've shown weakness there all year and a lot of the chunk plays that have hurt them initiate from this short area. Vander Esch is a liability in pass coverage from his LB spot.

I have no idea what to expect except maybe a game in the 20's that is close.

He looks faster to me and more shifty. I had no idea you had those OL combos last year. Thanks for those insights.

In terms of Dak, I think he is tremendous. I had written up here a few week ago that I love your OC - Moore. What a job he has done with that O and particularly Dak. But you can see Dak's maturation for sure.

In terms of the Tampa game, I loved the game plan. There is no sense in running at all vs them. Their front is a monster. We rushed for -1 yards on 6 carries. Your game plan of throwing to the perimeter was brilliant. Tampa lost Bunting in that game but had their other DBs and those throws to the perimeter and the slants were awesome. It was after that game that I realized just how deep your receiving corp is and how good they are after the catch.

I do feel like the Patriots can do some of that stuff vs your D and also take some deep shots. We may be down our best RB, Harris who got hurt vs Houston so that would be a big blow but I kind of hope Mac gets the chance to slice and dice.
We also played 4 different QB's. Dallas was beyond a trainwreck last year with the worst being Mike Nolan and his defensive system as our DC. It was a trying time.

Lawrence out is in your favor. Obviously out highest graded DL. Now you get 3 rookies and Randy "Toke" Gregory who has a bad knee.

Jaylon Smith being let go is 3 fold.

Money 1st. He has an injury clause in his contract requiring $9.2M 2022 payment in full if he would miss any time. He wouldn't rework that. His $7.2M for 2021 is already on Dallas' books.

2nd. He was getting much less playing time and there was an attitude problem so let's invoke the one bad apple theory

3rd. His play had regressed significantly. The tremendous repair job done in 2016 by the Dallas team physician had helped him regain the use of the knee athletically was a n almost miracle due to the damage. He had an ACL, MCL, significant nerve damage. Missed a year of football. Had foot drop and wore a brace 2017 due to the nerve.

Pro Bowl in 2018 along with LVE. Play regress some in 2019, more in 2020, then this year was the year of judgement. Footdrop is rumored to have returned along with traumatic arthritis. Change of direction was crap, acceleration was slow. Speed was ok once he got moving. As a unidirectional player he can work but he's a liability in pass coverage and slow to cover the outside run. Lots of tackles but rarely the splash play. Play recognition was slow too.

Dallas has a scheme change under Quinn. Much more 5 DB sets. If they need to go to the 3 LB set there is talent on the bench. The play Jabrill Cox made on Daniel Jones last Sunday on the naked bootleg that got Jones into the concussion protocol is one Smith couldn't have made.
Appreciate it,

Cheers

Listening to Beer go through each position group and how much better the Cowboys are everywhere gives us a bit of a blueprint of where Bill needs to improve things for next year. A few big hits in the draft and the team is back on track.
The Cowturds sucked for so long...they're a little like the Bucs.

Looks like Onwenu is back! D.Harris, too.
Going to be interesting where they play Big Mike. Lazar pointed out that the back ups against Houston handled the stunts better than the starters did in the prior games.

He has a great point.
It will take a blowout in the coaching department for the Pats to beat the Cowboys.

View: https://twitter.com/NBCSPatriots/status/1448658035816030209

No offense, but Breer NEVER has a good point. He started the trollwork many years ago with Gasper in tow. Breer--->Gasper--->Bedard--->Volin. It's all the same person. Every single thing they do is centered around trying to embarrass or bash BB. They know they can't claim he's a bad coach, so they take potshots at his GM work, which has hilariously backfired for the last 10 years.

Those names don't even count the tv heads like Felger, Mazz, Tanguay, and on and on and on. Heck, I've even noticed Perillo turning into a bit of a troll lately. Curran started it out last year once Brady left. They're all little Brady Fanboys.

BB has a right to rebuild his team in a methodical, proper way. He's doing it. Dallas's D is not a strength. Our defense is better as is our STs and coaching overall.

Going to be interesting where they play Big Mike. Lazar pointed out that the back ups against Houston handled the stunts better than the starters did in the prior games.
The Pats OL has always been weaker against the stunt. Look at what the Giants did to us twice in those Super Bowls. All game long Tuck stunted and was up in Brady's face. It has been a weakness of our OL for years and years now imo.

The Pats OL has always been weaker against the stunt. Look at what the Giants did to us twice in those Super Bowls. All game long Tuck stunted and was up in Brady's face. It has been a weakness of our OL for years and years now imo.
Us not running the ball and letting them dictate is what the problem was. We don;'t even get to SB 42 without BB telling Brady to hand it off all 4th qtr vs SD after his terrible game and handing it off to Laura Maroney for 22 and 122. Most of that yardage came just in time, or they don't even get to that SB.

The Giants knew what Brady wanted to do. Most defenses did. It got out that he wanted to throw to win all the time, likely because he wanted to chase Manning's stats. That was the problem because it showed up in each AFC title game. BJGE had 8 carries for 50 yards at halftime vs Baltimore in January of 2012, and was never seen again as Woodhead got all the snaps. There was this element at that time that throwing it with a lead was the thing they did because Brady "preferred" the shotgun. He claimed it helped him see the field better. In turn, it put way too much pressure on the OL because teams knew how to defend that offense. It was exposed by Jim Johnson and the Eagles near the end of 2007.

I'd love to have bee in the meetings after some of those losses because I bet there were all kinds of arguments or tongue lashings for Brady in terms of why he checked out of run calls as many times as he probably did. Throw in the idea Brady appeared to be unable to be held accountable (numerous sideline blow ups) and you could just see it.

When you're totally imbalanced or predictable, it makes it really hard on an O Line.

The offense from 2007-2012 was a finesse one trick pony. It shredded zone Ds and mediocre/bad Ds, but it struggled into the teeth of a good D. There were very few times Brady was willing to be second fiddle. Once BB dealt Moss in early 2010, I thought it was fixed for good. I was dead wrong. Brady still want back into it that postseason and in 2011 and 2012. His INT rate spiked and he just wasn't as good a game manager.

Sometimes football is really simple. You just roll up your sleeves and play. From 2014-2018, the OL was just fine against the occasional stunt or blitz because there were fewer of them.

Us not running the ball and letting them dictate is what the problem was. We don;'t even get to SB 42 without BB telling Brady to hand it off all 4th qtr vs SD after his terrible game and handing it off to Laura Maroney for 22 and 122. Most of that yardage came just in time, or they don't even get to that SB.

The Giants knew what Brady wanted to do. Most defenses did. It got out that he wanted to throw to win all the time, likely because he wanted to chase Manning's stats. That was the problem because it showed up in each AFC title game. BJGE had 8 carries for 50 yards at halftime vs Baltimore in January of 2012, and was never seen again as Woodhead got all the snaps. There was this element at that time that throwing it with a lead was the thing they did because Brady "preferred" the shotgun. He claimed it helped him see the field better. In turn, it put way too much pressure on the OL because teams knew how to defend that offense. It was exposed by Jim Johnson and the Eagles near the end of 2007.

I'd love to have bee in the meetings after some of those losses because I bet there were all kinds of arguments or tongue lashings for Brady in terms of why he checked out of run calls as many times as he probably did. Throw in the idea Brady appeared to be unable to be held accountable (numerous sideline blow ups) and you could just see it.

When you're totally imbalanced or predictable, it makes it really hard on an O Line.

The offense from 2007-2012 was a finesse one trick pony. It shredded zone Ds and mediocre/bad Ds, but it struggled into the teeth of a good D. There were very few times Brady was willing to be second fiddle. Once BB dealt Moss in early 2010, I thought it was fixed for good. I was dead wrong. Brady still want back into it that postseason and in 2011 and 2012. His INT rate spiked and he just wasn't as good a game manager.

Sometimes football is really simple. You just roll up your sleeves and play. From 2014-2018, the OL was just fine against the occasional stunt or blitz because there were fewer of them.
The Giants DL were also disciplined enough to keep constant pressure with just 4 guys. And they were able to drop back the LB's in coverage underneath. They took away Welker with the underneath stuff and they were able to Moss out of the picture deep.

The Giants DL were also disciplined enough to keep constant pressure with just 4 guys. And they were able to drop back the LB's in coverage underneath. They took away Welker with the underneath stuff and they were able to Moss out of the picture deep.
Right. But, Brady should have known that going in or adjusted. I mean, he stopped targeting Watson and Stallworth by Week 6 in Dallas that year. 2 passing options at 45 times a game out of the same formation was pathetic. I think he thought the Moss/Welker combo was unstoppable over 4 qtrs and it was only a matter of time. Part of succeeding in football is deception (even though Johnny Whinebaugh doesn't believe so) and playcalling timing.

I was just watching a low-level preview show on NFLnetwork and one of the guys suggested that the Cowboys could get knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs and still sweep the postseason player awards. They also laughed at the notion that the Patriots can compete with Dak and the Starhats.

I don't know about the first part of that, but it made me think that Dallas and the Pats are two franchises that have been run in a completely different manner for the last few decades.

Dallas loads up on pure talent and often ends up with erratic, undisciplined teams that make mental mistakes in crunch time and we take those versatile, team-captain types and play
the most disciplined football in the league year-in-year-out. They're glitzy and erratic like a pill-popping starlet that everybody wants to boink and we're boring and efficient like a Mafia hit man. Dallas is not risk-averse to taking a mental midget like Randy Gregory (and others) while we draft wonderful human beings who can't keep up with other teams' blue-chip killers on those rare occasions when those players are not suspended or sulking because they didn't get the State Farm commercial that Mahomes landed.

The Pats have been maddeningly consistent and oftimes beat teams like Dallas causing everybody to shake their heads and say "Man, the Patriots just aren't that good......they must be cheating". We're like opposite case studies in how to run your franchise. Everybody might also say "I got half the Cowboys on my Fantasy team but them sumbitches choke every dang year".

Bob Kraft is your slightly befuddled Grandpa who warmly welcomed Jerrah into Foxboro to study how he built Gillette with his own money and Jones builds a glitzy temple to money, titties and Texas football and then bends Kraft over during Deflategate as a way of saying "Thanks, Robert!". They literally couldn't be more different guys and one of them has the most silver footballs in his building and the other guy is desperate to get just one more before he heads to that big ranch in the sky. Or wherever he is headed.

I feel like I've been in this situation multiple dozens of times. We are facing a hot team with way more talented athletes than we do and we have to try and out-fox and out-execute them somehow and hope we send America away all pissed-off and grumbling that Belichick is building a new dynasty of cheaters or some such BS. But, we're still trying to figure shit out and play relatively mistake-free football in the post-Captain Dimplechin era.

I'll be at the game and I just want to see us create that self-doubt and panic in the opposition that we've so often seen over the years. Them 'Boys look really sharp this season, so far, and I
would just love to see us start their unraveling a bit earlier than is customary by doing the unexpected. Actually outworking and outflanking our betters. Shock the shit out of America again.

Back