Cowturds: Gamete Thread

I was just watching a low-level preview show on NFLnetwork and one of the guys suggested that the Cowboys could get knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs and still sweep the postseason player awards. They also laughed at the notion that the Patriots can compete with Dak and the Starhats.

I don't know about the first part of that, but it made me think that Dallas and the Pats are two franchises that have been run in a completely different manner for the last few decades.

Dallas loads up on pure talent and often ends up with erratic, undisciplined teams that make mental mistakes in crunch time and we take those versatile, team-captain types and play
the most disciplined football in the league year-in-year-out. They're glitzy and erratic like a pill-popping starlet that everybody wants to boink and we're boring and efficient like a Mafia hit man. Dallas is not risk-averse to taking a mental midget like Randy Gregory (and others) while we draft wonderful human beings who can't keep up with other teams' blue-chip killers on those rare occasions when those players are not suspended or sulking because they didn't get the State Farm commercial that Mahomes landed.

The Pats have been maddeningly consistent and oftimes beat teams like Dallas causing everybody to shake their heads and say "Man, the Patriots just aren't that good......they must be cheating". We're like opposite case studies in how to run your franchise. Everybody might also say "I got half the Cowboys on my Fantasy team but them sumbitches choke every dang year".

Bob Kraft is your slightly befuddled Grandpa who warmly welcomed Jerrah into Foxboro to study how he built Gillette with his own money and Jones builds a glitzy temple to money, titties and Texas football and then bends Kraft over during Deflategate as a way of saying "Thanks, Robert!". They literally couldn't be more different guys and one of them has the most silver footballs in his building and the other guy is desperate to get just one more before he heads to that big ranch in the sky. Or wherever he is headed.

I feel like I've been in this situation multiple dozens of times. We are facing a hot team with way more talented athletes than we do and we have to try and out-fox and out-execute them somehow and hope we send America away all pissed-off and grumbling that Belichick is building a new dynasty of cheaters or some such BS. But, we're still trying to figure shit out and play relatively mistake-free football in the post-Captain Dimplechin era.

I'll be at the game and I just want to see us create that self-doubt and panic in the opposition that we've so often seen over the years. Them 'Boys look really sharp this season, so far, and I
would just love to see us start their unraveling a bit earlier than is customary by doing the unexpected. Actually outworking and outflanking our betters. Shock the shit out of America again.
IMO, the Cowboys biggest issue has been coaching. They just can't seem to get that right. But in terms of the talent they have assembled recently, almost all of it has been through the draft Dak, Zeke, Lamb, Gallup, Diggs, Parsons, Cooper, etc. They have been building their team to be the monster that it is and I really like their OC a lot but McCarthy leaves so much to be desired but he is better than Garrett for sure.

As you say on paper, this is a mismatch but we will see on the coaching side. I don't expect the Cowboys to self-implode but if it is a tight game, they can easily give us the game although they really have not done that at all this season. Some pundits have them as the best team in the NFC. I would not go that far just yet but they have been really impressive.

I was just watching a low-level preview show on NFLnetwork and one of the guys suggested that the Cowboys could get knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs and still sweep the postseason player awards. They also laughed at the notion that the Patriots can compete with Dak and the Starhats.

I don't know about the first part of that, but it made me think that Dallas and the Pats are two franchises that have been run in a completely different manner for the last few decades.

Dallas loads up on pure talent and often ends up with erratic, undisciplined teams that make mental mistakes in crunch time and we take those versatile, team-captain types and play
the most disciplined football in the league year-in-year-out. They're glitzy and erratic like a pill-popping starlet that everybody wants to boink and we're boring and efficient like a Mafia hit man. Dallas is not risk-averse to taking a mental midget like Randy Gregory (and others) while we draft wonderful human beings who can't keep up with other teams' blue-chip killers on those rare occasions when those players are not suspended or sulking because they didn't get the State Farm commercial that Mahomes landed.

The Pats have been maddeningly consistent and oftimes beat teams like Dallas causing everybody to shake their heads and say "Man, the Patriots just aren't that good......they must be cheating". We're like opposite case studies in how to run your franchise. Everybody might also say "I got half the Cowboys on my Fantasy team but them sumbitches choke every dang year".

Bob Kraft is your slightly befuddled Grandpa who warmly welcomed Jerrah into Foxboro to study how he built Gillette with his own money and Jones builds a glitzy temple to money, titties and Texas football and then bends Kraft over during Deflategate as a way of saying "Thanks, Robert!". They literally couldn't be more different guys and one of them has the most silver footballs in his building and the other guy is desperate to get just one more before he heads to that big ranch in the sky. Or wherever he is headed.

I feel like I've been in this situation multiple dozens of times. We are facing a hot team with way more talented athletes than we do and we have to try and out-fox and out-execute them somehow and hope we send America away all pissed-off and grumbling that Belichick is building a new dynasty of cheaters or some such BS. But, we're still trying to figure shit out and play relatively mistake-free football in the post-Captain Dimplechin era.

I'll be at the game and I just want to see us create that self-doubt and panic in the opposition that we've so often seen over the years. Them 'Boys look really sharp this season, so far, and I
would just love to see us start their unraveling a bit earlier than is customary by doing the unexpected. Actually outworking and outflanking our betters. Shock the shit out of America again.

As long as Jason Garrett was running things, I wasn't concerned in the least about the Cowboys. Well, coaching has improved and, as you said, their talent is superior.
If the Pats beat them it will be bc of an outstanding game plan executed perfectly, imo, with maybe a little luck thrown in. Dallas has yet to prove it can travel so there's also that.

It's the Cowboy O Line that's the real trump card IMHO. They make Dak and Zeke's job a hell of a lot easier.

Some rather jaded views of the Cowboys above but as SS454 says Jerry Jones stuck with Garrett way too long. Garrett was inflexible and kept trying to model the team after the early 1990's Cowboys. The NFL is fluid !

Let's look clearly at the Cowboys situation as it relates to a winning organization. Jerry is owner AND GM. He is ego driven and said after he ran Jimmy Johnson off that there were a 100 coaches across the US that could coach the Cowboys to superiority. The next 25 years have proven Jerry to be foolish in such thought and he's slowly been stepping back over the past 7-8 years. So, the Cowboys root problem has been Jerry, his personnel meddling, and having a coach he could run. Parcells left (on good terms though) because Jerry went out and got Terrell Owens against Parcells wishes. Other forces are running this team now and they have a team philosophy . . . finally.

Now, for sure Jones is not a football ignorant man like every other NFL owner. He was an All-SWC OL, team captain, and team member with Jimmy Johnson on a NCAA Champion at Arkansas. But the same qualities that made him a good football player works against him as owner/GM of the Cowboys. He's getting old now and wants a winner one more time and is willing to bury his ego temporarily. I'm withholding my even tempered judgement on Jerry pending how things work with McCarthy, Stephen, Will McClay, and these very good coaches now working for the organization.

The above characterization of him(Jones) is a little harsh and erroneous IMO. For sure Kraft is no "befuddled grandpa" hanging out in massage parlors. But the hate above is noted.

The above characterization of him(Jones) is a little harsh and erroneous IMO. For sure Kraft is no "befuddled grandpa" hanging out in massage parlors. But the hate above is noted.

Care to be more specific?

Some rather jaded views of the Cowboys above but as SS454 says Jerry Jones stuck with Garrett way too long. Garrett was inflexible and kept trying to model the team after the early 1990's Cowboys. The NFL is fluid !

Let's look clearly at the Cowboys situation as it relates to a winning organization. Jerry is owner AND GM. He is ego driven and said after he ran Jimmy Johnson off that there were a 100 coaches across the US that could coach the Cowboys to superiority. The next 25 years have proven Jerry to be foolish in such thought and he's slowly been stepping back over the past 7-8 years. So, the Cowboys root problem has been Jerry, his personnel meddling, and having a coach he could run. Parcells left (on good terms though) because Jerry went out and got Terrell Owens against Parcells wishes. Other forces are running this team now and they have a team philosophy . . . finally.

Now, for sure Jones is not a football ignorant man like every other NFL owner. He was an All-SWC OL, team captain, and team member with Jimmy Johnson on a NCAA Champion at Arkansas. But the same qualities that made him a good football player works against him as owner/GM of the Cowboys. He's getting old now and wants a winner one more time and is willing to bury his ego temporarily. I'm withholding my even tempered judgement on Jerry pending how things work with McCarthy, Stephen, Will McClay, and these very good coaches now working for the organization.

What you have built the last few years is very impressive. I am not the biggest McCarthy fan but the guy does have a SB and appears to be on the right track this season after an injury riddled debut season last year.

Their personnel decisions in recent years have improved quite a bit. Talent is no longer an issue with the Cowboys, imo. Give coaching a little time and they should be up there with the Rams, Bucs and Cardinals. It may be this year - time will tell.

Last edited:
Mac knows Trevon Diggs very well from their days at Bama.

Mac Jones vs. Trevon Diggs​

24 months ago, Mac Jones was throwing Trevon Diggs interceptions as Alabama’s scout team quarterback. On Sunday, he’ll be looking to defeat his former teammate, likely by attacking him head on.

Diggs has exploded onto the scene in his second season, intercepting six passes in his first five games and allowing zero touchdowns on just 18 receptions. Jones has been effective in his first five starts, leading New England to a pair of wins while being relatively safe with the football. One of these trends will stop on Sunday, if not just for the fact that they cannot both continue, but because the familiarity between these two players will force one to come to an end.

If Mac Jones wants things to continue to roll in his favor, he cannot be afraid of attacking Diggs, which we know that he won’t be.

I expect a defensive game plan fairly similar to what BB used against the Bucs (and against Mahomes a couple of times). Pressure from the front 4 and adding an extra DB as base D, or even 2 at times to cover receivers better & make Dak hold the ball. Instead of 1 high Safety, I expect 2 since the Cowboys are sending WRs up both sidelines with great success this season. Blitzing Dak doesn't work. Make him go through his progressions, cover his receivers and make him make difficult throws. Invite them to run but clamp down when needed. Interestingly, the Cowboys don't use the middle of the field which is good bc that's been a weakness of the Pats lately. As with the Bucs, the Cowboys have lots of weapons at their skill positions. This won't be easy.

This could be the game to loosen the reins on Mac Jones.

I actually agree with Mike Reiss’s take which is the Pats played up to TBs level at home, a bit down to Houston’s level which was disappointing.

This is a nationally televised game and they have thrown away games to Miami and NOs at home.

Expect the Pats offense to control the clock a bit against a very mediocre defense and expect the Pats D to rise to the challenge of countering their run game. I’d be surprised if they don’t concentrate on containing that run game and asking their CBs/Safeties to play tight man coverage with the ocassional zone call.

I actually agree with Mike Reiss’s take which is the Pats played up to TBs level at home, a bit down to Houston’s level which was disappointing.

This is a nationally televised game and they have thrown away games to Miami and NOs at home.

Expect the Pats offense to control the clock a bit against a very mediocre defense and expect the Pats D to rise to the challenge of countering their run game. I’d be surprised if they don’t concentrate on containing that run game and asking their CBs/Safeties to play tight man coverage with the ocassional zone call.

I meant to mention this would be a good time to run the ball from heavy formations against their front 7 to control clock and move the sticks. Could be another ugly grinder.

I meant to mention this would be a good time to run the ball from heavy formations against their front 7 to control clock and move the sticks. Could be another ugly grinder.
I think it needs to be both. I just kinda laugh at people (in the media or the resident troll) trying to sell me on this idea that we can’t move the ball. We left 14 points on the board last week and scored 25.

Wynn is back. Hopefully the trainers were able to get his head out of his ass, and he can start playing like he did in previous years.

Back