Crennel as DC

foobahl

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks the pats should bring back Romeo as DC. He did an admirable job last time around with them. It would also follow the career path of BB. Doing this would allow BB more time with the offense. I have always wanted to see Troy come back in some sort of coaching role.

From what has been reported Romeo is staying in Cleveland with the Rat.
Two thoughts on that if it is true.
1) Has anyone ever heard of someone being fired as the headcoach somewhere and then hired that same offseason as a co-ordinator by the same team? Its not like he can't get another job somewhere. Wouldn't pride tell you to go work somewhere else? I mean isn't it humiliating?
2) If he stays to coach with the rat he is dead to me. F that putto.

Well here's the latest report

Mangini expected to pick Ryan, Daboll as coordinators

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80e18b34&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Still in his first week on the job, new Browns coach Eric Mangini is expected to pick Rob Ryan as his defensive coordinator and Brian Daboll to run his offense in the next few days. Mangini, fired by the New York Jets and hired by the Browns last week to replace the fired Romeo Crennel, worked with both men in New England.

I think RAC is going to be available and the Pats should look into getting him back while kicking Capers to the curb.

In order to bring him back BB would have to fire Pees. I doubt if he does that.

I think that if they bring him back, it will be as a special assistant. They can pay him enough and he won't have just one job.

In order to bring him back BB would have to fire Pees. I doubt if he does that.

Why would you doubt that?

It is true that BB seldom fires his coaches, matter of fact, I can't think of ANY examples although I belive there have been a few.

That said, you can bet that BB was not happy to have the worst red zone D in the league.

That has always been his thing--stopping points from being scored--screw all the meaningless stats and despite the rash of injuries-- you would think we could have been better than SOMEBODY in the league in the RZ.

I wouldn't be shocked if we bring in a new DC. Hey, screw it-- we might as well replace every frigging staff guy except BB the way things are going.

Why would you doubt that?

It is true that BB seldom fires his coaches, matter of fact, I can't think of ANY examples although I belive there have been a few.

Joel Collier DB Coach. Was let go after the 2007 Season.

I would love him back. Maybe he could "promote" Pees into Capers' old role and put Romeo back as DC if he doesn't want to fire Pees.

Okay folks, let's keep up on our NFL gossip shall we?

1. RAC still has three years on his contract with the Browns, if he takes another job he misses out on that approx $2M/year salary. DC for the NEP does not pay $2M/year or even close.

2. RAC is going or has gone under the knife for surgery on a bum hip. He's not going to be very effective pacing the sidelines or the practice field for a few months.

3. News reports are saying RAC has agreed to work in some capacity in the Browns' Player Personnel office. This allows him to be paid $2M/year while he recuperates and rehabs, keeps him working in some capacity in football while he shops for a new head coaching opportunity, allows him to help get "his" team back on their feet and to rehab a friend's career - we may not like his friend, but they were friends before Mangini kissed Woody's wood and I can't blame RAC for standing by his friend - especially for $2M/year.

4. Pees took a very young defense (unlike the national sports media we know who was out on that field) and had it showing steady improvement in time for a playoff run in December. Given the kids who were taking regular reps, the number of games lost to injury, and the need to keep patching & plugging from those damned injuries, I'm not surprised that Pees is still here. However, the offseason is young enough that you who want change, may still get it. Stiff upper lip, whut?

I thought in a sitch like that that if RC took a job as DC with the Pats for 500K then the Browns would be on the hook for the balance unearned?

Back