Crypto currency

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
There has been a thread about this in the political forum, but it's not necessarily a political topic. It was suggested to have a more general thread to discuss it.

It's a topic that is gaining more and more interest so it would be good to have at least a thread for it. Hell, if there is enough, we could have a subforum.

As with any topic, posters have varying levels of experience, so I for one am looking forward to learning more and fooling around with it with money I can afford to lose.

Standard disclaimers apply here. Everything posted here is opinion only, and not to be taken as financial advice, investment advice, or legal advice. If you invest based on anything you read in this thread or on the whole board for that matter, you accept that all the risk is yours and yours alone.

So... Do you invest in crypto? And if so, what do you like?

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Disclaimer - I am new to Crypto...just invested beginning May 6, 2021, but learning as much as I can as fast as I can. For those in the market, I probably don't have to tell you that I didn't choose the ideal time to jump in...lol. It's all good.

I HODL. I pretty much plan on HODL'ing for 10 years, not counting some possible exchanging and shifting of my portfolio.

Now, that I think of it...we may need a "Crypto-lingo" dictionary post. HODL = Hold. Essentially a spelling error years ago that became a meme term that is used in crypto. Nobody says "Hold", everyone says "HODL"...it's not even supposed to be funny any more, it's just the language.

My first investments....I flip flopped around a lot...learned a lot the hard way that cost me some money....like buying small bits at a time, and being subjected to un-Godly gas fees to transfer to my wallet, stuff like that. I am more than happy to help anyone out about what NOT to do when jumping in.

I have roughly 5 Major investments, which represent about 80% of my portfolio...and later, happy to discuss why I made these choices.

Ripple - XRP
Stellar - XLM
Algorand - ALGO
Solana - SOL
Cardano - ADA

I have some smaller allocations in a few others, that I will probably let appreciate and flip at some point down the road, unless they reach some major adoption...roughly 20% of my portfolio

Zilliqa - ZIL
VeChain - VET
Polkadot - DOT

..a bit into Bitcoin, a bit into Ethereum, not a lot.

So that's my bag in a nutshell.

HipKat

Buffalo to The Bone!!
Reaction score
Disclaimer - I am new to Crypto...just invested beginning May 6, 2021, but learning as much as I can as fast as I can. For those in the market, I probably don't have to tell you that I didn't choose the ideal time to jump in...lol. It's all good.

I HODL. I pretty much plan on HODL'ing for 10 years, not counting some possible exchanging and shifting of my portfolio.
I also jumped in at the wrong time lol
I dropped a hundo on BTC just to see what happens. It doubled and then it halved and I got out. BTC is almost at it's cap anyway so I use Coinbvase to drop a few bucks on whatever is spiking - altrhough I haven't invested at all in a few months, waiting til things stabilize and they seem to be, now.

Mine are:
Dogecoin - DOGE
Decentraland - MANA
NKN
Stellar Lumens - XLM
Ampleforth Governance - FORTH

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
A couple little tidbits of useful information for potential investors...

November of this year, the international banking system...central banks, big international banks, will be adopting a protocol called ISO 20022, beginning November 2021 and through, I think 2025. This is a protocol that banks use to make different operating systems compatable, basically.

There are roughly 11,000 crypto currencies right now, and growing every day. 5 of them are ISO 20022 compliant out of the box. These are;

XRP
XLM
ALGO
XDC
IOTA

Essentially, what this means, is that banks can, and will use On Demand Liquidity. Currently, for example, banks use the SWIFT system for international exchange. Different currencies are held in Escrow, and if you want to send US dollars to, say, Japan....you send the US dollars to SWIFT, who then takes a fee, and pays out Yen on the other side, based on the current exchange rate. This process can take days, and cost a fair amount in fees. When the banks adopt the new systems, They will deposit US Dollars into the blockchain, where they will be converted to a medium of exchange, such as XRP, which will then be converted into Yen on the other end. It takes about 3 seconds, and costs a few cents. It also frees up all the Escrow funds, it isn't needed.

Any of the above cryptos can serve that function right out of the box, but Ripple (XRP), actually holds a patent on ODL, and also has a pre-existing hardware and software network that can be up and running with the flip of a switch, so they are the front runner to be used for the approximately 150 Trillion dollar space. However, the SEC filed a lawsuit against Ripple in December 2020, literally the day before the existing SEC leadership left to be replaced by the incoming administration's appointed leaders. This suit has kept XRP suppressed in price, and handicapped it's growth. However, things are not going well for the SEC, and it looks like the SEC will either settle before the suit is decided, or they will drag it out until January 2022, at the latest.

Therefore, I am big on XRP, but also any ISO compliant crypto.

Also, the World Economic Forum is looking hard at Crypto and it's potential....particularly Algorand, CELO, Ripple, Cardano, Solana, and Stellar. Here is one of their reports, dated June 2021. You can find their listed cryptos with the most potential on page 17;

My investments are geared heavily toward those cryptos that are most likely to be institutionally adopted, with real world utility that will put upward pressure on the price if and when they get adopted by worldwide institutions.

A few little notes on some of these to distinguish one from another;

XRP - Designed specifically to be used by Central Banks and International Bank settlement. Hard cap of 100 Billion coins, burned in use, so it is deflationary.

XLM - Sort of a clone of XRP, created by one of the XRP founders that wanted to create a non-profit "for the people", peer to peer coin...think of it as the crypto version of Paypal. Hard cap of 50 Billion coins, there will never be more, and using it burns it, so it is deflationary.

ALGO - Also designed to be useful for Big Banking and Institutions, as well as be useful for other things, such as vaccination passports, blockchain ID, that sort of thing. Designed by some big time names from MIT, with big Venture Capital money behind it...names you would know. Nice thing is that just holding Algo you get 7% APY in interest, doing nothing at all. However, ALGO has a built in 15% inflation rate, so it is dependant on adoption.

Solana (SOL) - The technology behind this is a beast! While most 3rd generation cryptos, like those above, can process about 1000 to 1500 transactions per second, Solana runs about 50,000 or more, and will increase as the network and technology expands. In my opinion, Solana is far and away the best all round technology, however, it is not ISO 20022 compliant. Currently, there are a little over 272 Million coins. It has currently has a 7% inflation rate, which will diminish over time to a stable 1.5% inflation rate. It can be staked, and the new money created through inflation goes to stakers....so if you stake your SOL, you willl currently get 7% interest, diminishing over the next few years to 1.5%. In use, fees get burned, so theoretically, the burn rate and inflation rate will balance.

Cardano - Created by a co-founder of Etherium, should be ready for full launch before the end of this year, currently they are working on smart contracts. Maximum of 45 Billion coins, new minted coins created through staking, which will get you about 5% interest on your staked investment. Cardano is the current record holder for staked coins...something like 71% of all coins in circulation are staked.

I avoid Meme coins, such as Doge, or Shiba Inu, or Safemoon. These have no inherent value or utility. I believe that ultimately, utility will dictate value for all cryptos other than Bitcoin, which has no utility either, being the prototype, Gen 1 crypto...but it does have institutional adoption already, so that sets it apart. For those uninitiated, a "meme coin" is basically a coin created specifically for pump and dump, driven by social media hype. It is basically a Hot Potato...someone ends up buying high and stuck with it when it crashes, after everyone else made money. Not for me, I am a long term investor.

When I think about buying a crypto, I look at the founders....are they credible, and backed by smart money? I look at what aspect of the market they are looking to disrupt and take over...for example, XRP for international bank settlements, VeChain for supply chain, that sort of thing. I look at the Tokenomics...how many are there in circulation, what is the inflation rate, is it deflationary or inflationary, what is the maximum number of coins, and lastly, does it have any real world adoption, or is it strictly theoretical? ECOMI, for example, I looked hard at due to it scoring deals with Marvel and other entities...but 750 Billion coins is far, far too diluted for my taste...I see a low ceiling for it value wise. Ultimately, every crypto needs some kind of real world adoption to have value. For instance...XRP has Bank of Japan, XLM has IBM, Cardano forged a deal with the government of Ethiopia....they aren't going anywhere. It takes more than just a crypto coin to be a good investment, it takes a lot of ground pounding...sales and marketing, and ultimately convincing businesses and governments to use it. That's where the value comes from.

I also tend to focus on core blockchain crypto....though there are many cross chain cryptos worth consideration, such as Polkadot and Chainlink, or DeFi crypto such as Uniswap or Sushiswap. That's just too crowded a space for me to jump into, generally, though I do have a small bag of DOT, and that is leant out for some small interest returns.

This is my genreal thoughts, and philosophy, and the path I have taken into my cryptoventure so far.

Last edited:

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
A few more tips for newbies that are important...

1) I got started with Coinbase, and it is my recommendation for an exchange to start on. It is US based, and issues a 1099 for tax purposes, so it is helpful to remain in compliance with taxes.
Coinbase has a smaller selection of crypto that you can buy on it, but those that are on there are generally established to some degree. Coinbase listings generally pump up the price of cryptos that get listed, kind of like stocks getting listed on the NYSE.

2) I recommend using a friend's link to start a Coinbase account, because you and your friend will get $10 in free Bitcoin. It's a small thing, but hey...free Bitcoin is free Bitcoin. I have a link in my sig if you want to use that, and I would thank you in advance for the $10. :D Coinbase also has frequent "Intro to _______ crypto on Coinbase", where you answer a few questions and get free crypto...generally about $3 worth.

3) You should not keep your crypto on the exchange. Crypto is not hackable, but exchanges are. You need a wallet. A wallet is simply an App on your phone or computer that you store crypto on. I have several, but my primary "hot wallet" is Atomic, and it is awesome! I will get into that later. My "cold wallet" is an Ellipal Titan. More on hot and cold wallets later.

4) When you download and setup a wallet, you will receive a set of key words....generally 12 random words, but up to 25. Write these words down, and keep them safe! If you lose your keys, you lose your Crypto! The idea is, when you change phones, you download the wallet app, and the key words are essentially your deed to the crypto on the blockchain. If you lose your key, there is nobody that can recover it for you, or recover your crypto...it is gone forever...locked into the blockchain with a key that is forever lost. 2 to 3 Million Bitcoin have been lost this way, and there are only 18 Million Bitcoin now, and will only ever be 21 Million. Not your key, not your crypto. Guard your key like it is the social security number to your soul! NEVER lose it!

5) Crypto prices are highly volatile, and move at lightning speed. You can gain or lose 50% in minutes...literally. Mentally prepare yourself for that, emotionally prepare yourself. Just hang in there. Plan for it. The Pats' 28-3 comeback over Atlanta is just another day in Crypto.

6) Suppose you want to buy a crypto that is not on Coinbase. There are three ways you can fix that. You can set up another account on another exchange and buy direct (not recommended). You can buy crypto, particularly stable coins, on Coinbase and send them to another exhange, where you can flip them to what you want, and then send that to your wallet. Lastly, some wallets, such as Atomic Wallet, allow you to exchange certain cryptos for certain other cryptos. So, for example, if I want to buy XRP, Coinbase does not list it due to the SEC lawsuit....but I can buy XLM or USDT on Coinbase, send it to my Atomic Wallet, and there exchange it for XRP directly. This is my preferred method. Check your wallet for what can be exchanged for what before trying it. I sometimes use Kucoin exchange, but it is not very user friendly...it has all the info and a ton of crypto to choose from, though. However, not being based in the US, I do not want to tie my finances directly with it. Lack of trust..I play it safe.

7) Know that any time you move crypto, there are fees. It is never free. Any time you buy crypto, there are fees. Therefore, try to buy in big chunks rather than a bunch of small chunks if you can, to minimize the loss in fees. Having said that....I buy small chunks all the time. I'm just willing to eat the fees. Some crypto, the "Proof of Work" cryptos such as Bitcoin or Etherium, the gas fees can be a killer! We're talking on the order of $10 just to send and receive crypto, even more. Non Proof of Work coins are generally in the pennies, or fractions of pennies, in fees.

8) Your crypto is safer in your "hot wallet" on your phone, than it is on the exchange. Your crypto is safer in your "cold wallet", than in your "hot wallet". I use both, because my hot wallet, Atomic, has great options for things like staking, where you can earn interest by locking your crypto up for a time where you cannot sell it or move it.

Last edited:

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Lastly, some of my favorite information resources...

For market prices, I use Coinmarketcap;

For news and information, there are lots, but here are a couple;

For Youtube channels...beware...90% of them are garbage...every coin is going to the moon, going to $1000, it's all nonsense. They are traders trying to pump and dump, or just plain idiots.
There are some good ones out there, though...

For general news and information, Coin Bureau is really good;

For long term investing information, I like InvestAnswers, I call him "Jack Nicholson", but he is really, really good;

For technical explanations, I like Coin Club Crypto....new channel, but this kid is a genius, very impressive young man;

For day trading Technical Analysis, with a bonus of realistic long term price predictions, I like Donte Walker Crypto;

I do not recommend taking all your advice from any one source, though...I recommend looking for some consistency in long term predictions...you will find everything from $10 to $10,000 for pretty much any coin...what you are looking for is a variety of credible sources that have some kind of consensus within the same order of magnitude....say several folks predicting anything under $100, or several folks predicting somewhere between $100 and $500...that sort of thing.

For Day Traders, I recommend don't do it! Amateurs lose money 99% of the time. If you want to do something like that, just pick a price taht you are willing to buy a coin at any price below...say something like "I will buy Cardano at any price below $1.35", and then say "I will sell 20% of my Cardano at $1.75", and "I will sell 20% of my Cardano at $3.00", and so on. If you try to nail the bottoms and the tops....well, good luck. It's almost impossible..even pros don't try to do that. They buy on the way down and sell on the way up...they don't try to hit bullseyes on everything, and neither should you.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Last but not least....Why should I consider investing in Crypto?..

The most relevant question. The short version is...it is the opportunity of a lifetime. Crypto and blockchain will change the world on a scale greater than home computers and windows and Apple.....what would you give to go back in time and buy Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft stocks at $10?

This is your chance. It is highly volatile. It is high risk. It will require a lot of intestinal fortitude and smart choices. But....the future is knocking. This is the next Amazon, the next Apple. Millionaires and billionaires will be created.

Besides...what are you getting for interest in the dollars you have in the bank? .005% interest? Inflation is 1000 times what you are getting in interest in the bank. Think about that. You are getting screwed every day.

If you want to grasp the magnitude of this economic earthquake....I recommend pour yourself a drink, find 90 minutes of time to relax, and listen to what Raul Pal has to say....then decide for yourself.

Meet you on the Moon, brothers and sisters!

Last edited:

foobahl

Reaction score
I have Doge, XLM and Litecoin. I only have the Doge betting on that Charlatan Musk. I would have won that bet had I not tried to play the medium to long game, too. I will get out if I can break even, if not live and learn. I listened in the other thread to Baron saying to stay away from meme crypto afterwards, because it just makes sense to me.

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
I got in pretty early on a token called Vice. It's really taking off. Not quite a stable coin like BTC or ETH but def a little above the Doge/Shiba types.

Great development team. Awesome community.

Do some research before you ever put money into anything and only put in what you can afford to lose.

Not financial advise by any stretch

Flagg the Wanderer

Sonic sez: Clawk Moar Ringz!
Reaction score
I got in pretty early on a token called Vice. It's really taking off. Not quite a stable coin like BTC or ETH but def a little above the Doge/Shiba types.

Great development team. Awesome community.

Do some research before you ever put money into anything and only put in what you can afford to lose.

Not financial advise by any stretch
I see how you are using this, but to all the newbies reading this: "stable coin" is a term of art in crypto. Bitcoin and Etherium aren't it.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Right, Flagg. (y)

The term "stablecoin" is used to denote a coin with a value that is constant, generally $1. It remains $1 at all times, regardless of the market. They are collateralized in various ways to remain pegged to the dollar.

Stablecoins are really useful, more versatile than actually having to onramp and offramp cash all the time.

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
So, I have a very small portfolio, and was pretty late to the party. I have 7 main holdings, and a smattering of spare change in a handful of others. My core is relatively equal-ish portions of:
Bitcoin BTC
Ethereum ETH
Stella Lunaris XLM
Solana SOL
Polkadot DOT
Algorand ALGO
Cardano ADA

The idea was basically to buy shares in overall crypto adoption, and a piece of different technologies and...target market segments, for lack of a better phrase. Baron laid out some of the types of reasons above. Some things I don't understand, and I've accepted that and made small bets on the expertise of others as long as it tied to my overall common sense.

I've been gunshy about designed deflationary coins that burn with use - that caps their long term utility in my mind, but as a medium-term play it makes some sense as it's a natural hedge while the players separate from the pretenders.

Like Baron, I'm long on specific utility and short on meme coins. That said, I think there's money to be made day trading meme coins, as the market isn't yet so big that it can't be beat. Miss a signal, though, and you might find that liquidity is suddenly a problem and you're unable to sell as the bottom drops out. And TBH, I'm not yet comfortable enough with the fee schedules to be trading that often, especially with smaller amounts that get so badly eaten by fees/gas.

But while I might play positions, I'm a in this for the long term investment. I don't think you can set it and forget it at this point - realistically most of these coins will go to zero at some point as the market shakes out - but you can invest in the overall crypto markets with a basket of mixed volatility, keep one eye on the news...and don't be shy about taking profits to make sure you're quickly at the point of "playing with house money" as much as possible.

That's the two cents from someone who wrote a final paper in law school on this general concept back in the days of Mondex. One more time I was a little early to the party...and missed the actual party when it started. Ah well. It's still pretty early days - the growth of these is the same network effect we saw with Facebook, Twitter, Google, reddit, etc.... except multiplied by all the actual transactions of any time money changes hands. It's hard to overstate the potential impact crypto currencies will have on the world as we know it.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
I'm just a doddering old fool with my Matlock VHS tapes and metamucil, but I have to admit that this is the first time I've really attempted to figure out
what Cryto is and despite what I'm sure are informative posts, I have no fucking clue what it is.

So, this stuff has zero backing it up? It's a random popularity contest based on the whims of net surfing investors? A hope that you can whip up imaginary value (as is the case with Carol Baskin from Tiger King) by issuing a collectible coin (or whatever) and it may become fashionable for no particular reason, allowing it to rise? Or vice-versa?

I am probably way off here, but it makes my head hurt trying to conceptualize it.

For some reason, this topic makes me think of a line from some writer who said:

"I'll pay you with this check from the Sawtooth National Bank. Don't worry that I didn't sign it-- they know me down there".

johnlocke

Reaction score
I'm just a doddering old fool with my Matlock VHS tapes and metamucil, but I have to admit that this is the first time I've really attempted to figure out
what Cryto is and despite what I'm sure are informative posts, I have no fucking clue what it is.

So, this stuff has zero backing it up? It's a random popularity contest based on the whims of net surfing investors? A hope that you can whip up imaginary value (as is the case with Carol Baskin from Tiger King) by issuing a collectible coin (or whatever) and it may become fashionable for no particular reason, allowing it to rise? Or vice-versa?

I am probably way off here, but it makes my head hurt trying to conceptualize it.

"I'll pay you with this check from the Sawtooth National Bank. Don't worry that I didn't sign it-- they know me down there".

johnlocke

Reaction score
These were my initial thoughts as well. Being backed by no commodity was a problem for me as I've always been a gold standard cat. But I'm starting to understand the value of Blockchain technology and it has the power to move the world.

I do, however, have a long way to go in my understanding.

Last edited:

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
Well, it has exactly as much behind it as any fiat currency, like what you carry around in your wallet. Plus it's better in pretty much every way you'd want to measure the "goodness" of a currency...assuming it is reasonably widely adopted, course. For reference:
why-do-bitcoins-have-value.asp

But obviously only a few crypto currencies are going to survive. The value of blockchain is way beyond crypto, of course. In a world of over 7 billion people, it addresses the issues of trust and reciprocity in an instant, in any transaction.

johnlocke

Reaction score
Well, it has exactly as much behind it as any fiat currency, like what you carry around in your wallet. Plus it's better in pretty much every way you'd want to measure the "goodness" of a currency...assuming it is reasonably widely adopted, course. For reference:
why-do-bitcoins-have-value.asp

But obviously only a few crypto currencies are going to survive. The value of blockchain is way beyond crypto, of course. In a world of over 7 billion people, it addresses the issues of trust and reciprocity in an instant, in any transaction.

Yep, and that was my initial issue with it, I couldn't see how a stable value could be maintained, and to some degree, it still doesn't sit a hundred percent right my sound money ass. But I'm learning and hope to overcome those doubts.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score
I bought ETH towards the beginning. :coffee:

XRP will be the one to get for obvious reasons. It's still cheap.

I still have a bunch of various coins. Some were really good, some were duds. ETH and Bitcoin were my biggest grand slams.

I even used a computer to mine crypto a few years ago.

Crypto will be part of the beast system when they tank the dollar and put it inside of you via the MOTB jab. It'll be the new currency soon. I know people try to debunk me and whatever else, but, it's what THEY'RE saying publicly.

The Rothschild's/Rockefeller's rolled out Bitcoin (it wasn't Satoshi Nakamoto, that's just a fictional avatar), they intentionally made it to pave the way for the crypto that's going inside of you...if you choose to be that foolish.

Last edited:

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score

I think this deserves a response, and I will try to not be all used car salesman about it...lol. First of all, there are thousands of coins that have zero behind it....thousands, literally. But...there are probably 200 or so that are exceptions.

So, let's take the US Dollar. Why does it have value? It doesn't actually represent anything at all. It used to represent a fixed amuont of gold, but no longer. Now it has 0 behind it.

And yet...it has value. Why? Many call it the petrodollar, because you have to use to buy oil....but that's not what gives the USD value, that simply props up the value.

Some will say that "the dollar has value because people agree that it has value, and so it is a sort of agreement". Well, that's true, but that is secondary. There are lots of things that we all agree have value, yet we don't use them as money. Gems, alcohol, stocks and bonds...we don't run around buying pizza with our stock in Gamestop, right? We use dollars.

Answer: The dollar gets it's value from utility! Utility alone! Everything else is secondary, because if it loses that utility, everything else evaporates...Saudi's will no longer want it for oil, the kid at Starbucks won't want it, nobody will want it....it will have 0 value instantly.

So where does the utility come from? The utility comes from the fact that the US government accepts it to pay taxes, and the US Government forces businesses to accept it as payment...so you can pay your electrical bill with it. That is some serious utility!

Now....suppose that, next week, the government says that businesses must still accept it as legal tender, but the US government will no longer accept USD for tax payments! What happens then?

The USD will still have value, because you can still buy coffee and pay your electric bill, but it would lose a LOT of utility, since Uncle Sam no longer wants it...so all of a sudden, the dollar's value is a fraction of what it was the day before! Businesses will still accept it to pay their bills, but they must exchange it for something else to pay their taxes...so there is less use, and therefore less demand for it.

Hopefully your eyes haven't rolled back in your head and you are still with me...lol, because here is Part 2;

Crypto currencies are private money, that is programmable. So...crypto is sort of a hybrid of US Dollars and Charlie Cards, as well as the Apps on your smart phone. It has the power to do anything money can do, but also anything NASDAQ or Bank of America can do...it can be loaned, it can be put into Escrow, it can be locked into smart contracts and virtually anything a bank or financial institution can do, but it can do it without any institution whatsoever, no banks required.

Also, anything can be tokenized into Crypto. Suppose you want to run the Boston Marathon and need to raise $10K for charity. You used to have to knock on doors, that was hard. Now you have Go Fund Me, it is much easier. In the next couple of years, you will simply go to the Children's Hospital, and they will issue a $10K coin in your name, that anyone can buy into, in any amount, until $10K is reached. That coin will be tax deductible. Also, I may want to buy shares of that coin AFTER the 10K has been raised, and it ends up being worth $20K.

OR...maybe you want to build a sports complex on the South Shore. Well...you can solicit big money firms to loan you the money...let's say $1 Billion dollars...OR you can create a line of tokens..."Southie Casino Coin", and people like me will buy them. You may have 100 Million coins minted, keep 50 Million, and let the market drive the price up until you have 1 Billion dollars of your own to build your casino with, and in that casino, peopel who own Southie Casino Coin can spend it in your casino, just like cash! Now THAT's value!

I won't even get into Smart Contracts. Impossible to breach...the crypto goes into Escrow, and when certain conditions are met, the money gets issued or refunded....automatically...no humans, no paperwork, no default, it jsut happens, automatically, in 3 seconds. You can loan money to someone, who will offer collateral, and if the value of that collateral falls, the smart contract liquidates it automatically to pay off the lender...trustless, automatic, no lawyers, no paperwork, nothing.

That's DeFi.....that's value.

Home computers were around, and available in the 80's...but you had to know code to use them. They're abilities were limited. There was capability, but no value in home computers.

Windows came along, and unlocked the value in computers, and changed the world.

Crypto/blockchain is to money, what Windows was to home computers.