Crypto currency

Flagg the Wanderer

Sonic sez: Clawk Moar Ringz!
Reaction score
Personally, I think you yanked the SOL very, very early. I see it easily going well over $100 short term....but I am no expert.

Congratulations, Flagg! :beer:
I need to see the market's reaction to the new highs for each. I expect to buy the dips, even if it's above where I sold and I miss a few dollars of the upside, it's worth it to take some risk off the table. Right now they are both in uncharted territory and the strength of the market leaders is preventing them from the pullback you'd expect to see following those spikes. Maybe it won't come. Maybe the ~10-12% pull back SOL saw from the spike to 80 is all there will be. I'm still learning this market.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
I need to see the market's reaction to the new highs for each. I expect to buy the dips, even if it's above where I sold and I miss a few dollars of the upside, it's worth it to take some risk off the table. Right now they are both in uncharted territory and the strength of the market leaders is preventing them from the pullback you'd expect to see following those spikes. Maybe it won't come. Maybe the ~10-12% pull back SOL saw from the spike to 80 is all there will be. I'm still learning this market.

Well, if it helps, these are my two favorite Technical Analysis channels...

I don't watch them for trading purposes, but I watch them to figure out good times to buy and HODL.

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
So, here's an interesting use case:

BAT is the "Basic Attention Token," and it's very interesting to me. The idea behind it is something people have been saying for a long time: we should be able to monetize our attention that companies are making money off. That is, for all the pay-per-click and pay-per-impression advertising, WE are the product being bought and sold by these companies.

So BAT is a "reward" token for viewing advertisements when browsing. The Brave browser (Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser) filters out ads and cookies as you browse, and ASKS YOU HOW MANY ADS YOU WANT TO SEE PER HOUR. For each ad you see/click on you start to compile BAT in your account. They are tradable on Coinbase and other exchanges.

I'm no techie, but they seem pretty proud of their privacy, adware, and malware protections as well. Their default homepage tracks the MB of data transfer in ads and cookies not loaded, the number of cookies and trackers blocked, and (as a result of not loading all that stuff) the seconds of load time saved. No idea if it's accurate, but it's eye opening. I know a lot of mainstream sites have autoplay video ads that must really spike those numbers.

It occurs to me that a webhost (like our own UT!) might be some pissed that people are leeching without bringing in ad revenue. Sites can set up an account to accept "tips," which are automated and delivered from each browser/wallet monthly - they would also be participating in this and supporting taking back control of the ad/attention economy simply gathering BAT from everyone using Brave

I'm on Brave now, just testing it out. Seems pretty quick on a first spin...

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
Actually, it occurs to me that this may be of broader interest than just they crypto thread watchers...with apologies, I'm going to make a new thread.

Big/Sky/Fly

We're All In This Psyop Together...
Reaction score

BAT is the "Basic Attention Token," and it's very interesting to me. The idea behind it is something people have been saying for a long time: we should be able to monetize our attention that companies are making money off. That is, for all the pay-per-click and pay-per-impression advertising, WE are the product being bought and sold by these companies.

So BAT is a "reward" token for viewing advertisements when browsing. The Brave browser (Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser) filters out ads and cookies as you browse, and ASKS YOU HOW MANY ADS YOU WANT TO SEE PER HOUR. For each ad you see/click on you start to compile BAT in your account. They are tradable on Coinbase and other exchanges.

I'm no techie, but they seem pretty proud of their privacy, adware, and malware protections as well. Their default homepage tracks the MB of data transfer in ads and cookies not loaded, the number of cookies and trackers blocked, and (as a result of not loading all that stuff) the seconds of load time saved. No idea if it's accurate, but it's eye opening. I know a lot of mainstream sites have autoplay video ads that must really spike those numbers.

It occurs to me that a webhost (like our own UT!) might be some pissed that people are leeching without bringing in ad revenue. Sites can set up an account to accept "tips," which are automated and delivered from each browser/wallet monthly - they would also be participating in this and supporting taking back control of the ad/attention economy simply gathering BAT from everyone using Brave

Interesting

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score

I looked at BAT early on, and decided not to invest, primarily because you have to download and use the specific browser, and I think that is a speedbump to it getting mass adoption.

That's not to say it is a bad idea, or bad tech, or even a bad investment...I just felt that it has a fair chance of withering on the vine due to lack of mainstream adoption, and I chose to put my money elsewhere.

See, that is the thing with crypto....it's all about Metcalfe's Law.

So, I am a HUGE fan of the idea and tech behind BAT, but at the end of the day, I am in it for the money, and I just chose different horses to bet on. Having said that, I do sincerely hope BAT succeeds, and changes the internet forever, where the actual consumer can monetize their own data, rather than Big Tech exploiting them and profiting from it.

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
I looked at BAT early on, and decided not to invest, primarily because you have to download and use the specific browser, and I think that is a speedbump to it getting mass adoption.

That's not to say it is a bad idea, or bad tech, or even a bad investment...I just felt that it has a fair chance of withering on the vine due to lack of mainstream adoption, and I chose to put my money elsewhere.

See, that is the thing with crypto....it's all about Metcalfe's Law.

So, I am a HUGE fan of the idea and tech behind BAT, but at the end of the day, I am in it for the money, and I just chose different horses to bet on. Having said that, I do sincerely hope BAT succeeds, and changes the internet forever, where the actual consumer can monetize their own data, rather than Big Tech exploiting them and profiting from it.
Oh, I'm not buying any. But I did switch to using the browser, and I can just sell what I collect. It's fully tradable, so doing it this way I am getting no ads when I choose, or collecting bits of BAT when I choose that.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
I have SOL and ADA as two of my big horses and they have done very well the last couple of weeks....

...but I have a little ADAX as one of my $100 flyers, got the ICO at .30 per coin....and holy crap, it's crushing! $1.09. I just got it around June 25th. 360%

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
I have SOL and ADA as two of my big horses and they have done very well the last couple of weeks....

...but I have a little ADAX as one of my $100 flyers, got the ICO at .30 per coin....and holy crap, it's crushing! $1.09. I just got it around June 25th. 360%
Congrats. I still haven't ventured beyond what is tradeable on main exchanges. Did you sell any off, or ride it down to $0.66 and back up to $0.90?

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
I used this dip to add some ETH, SOL, ICP, ATOM, ACH, UMA, POLY, and LPT. I have an order in for ADA, but I don't think we're going to drop anywhere close to that far down.

I feel alright about the profit taking on SOL and ADA, though. I'm back to nearly my highest total of ADA after I got comfortable that it had stabilized in the $2.40 range - took profits at $2.42, bought at $2.40. Similarly for SOL I'm actually holding more than I had been now after selling some at $74.50, then buying at $74.50 and $74 even.

My 3 big holdings are ADA, SOL, and ETH, in the 12-15% range. MATIC, EOS, and DOT are the next tier, in the 7% range. BTC and ICP are close to 5% each, and XLM is in that range, too. Everything else is just smatterings.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Congrats. I still haven't ventured beyond what is tradeable on main exchanges. Did you sell any off, or ride it down to $0.66 and back up to $0.90?

Not one.

I have no intention of selling anything and paying short term capital gains. I plan on holding everything for a year, and then make my decisions on a case by case basis. There is a fair chance we will be in a bear market then, who knows.....in which case, I'll just HODL on.

This is sort of an IRA for me, not really income. If I "sell", it will just be to roll profits into the next up and coming token, or, if I just want to secure it for long term, directly into Bitcoin.

Anything but USD, essentially. Especially since I have seen a couple of things recently which are major red flags for the USD, but that is not a topic for this forum. The biggest alarm for me was Saudi Arabia just signed a mutual defense agreement with Russia. If you know anything about the USD, you know how loud of an alarm that is.

There are other things, but that one was a real thunderbolt for the future of the dollar.

No dollars for me, just assets. That's the plan.

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
Pullback over the past ~36h, but doesn't seem too painful. Been trading sideways for a bit - will depend which side it breaks on.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Pullback over the past ~36h, but doesn't seem too painful. Been trading sideways for a bit - will depend which side it breaks on.

Never know, but a few of the folks I watch that do TA have been predicting it as part of a "cup and handle" formation for some of my portfolio. Personally, I think we will be looking at this kind of up and down momentum for another month or so before the next big boom.

I just picked up some more CHZ. ADA and SOL already appreciated, so I am buying the Alts that I want which still haven't had a price increase. CHZ is at the top of my list right now, after that SOLD(Solanex)......I looked really hard at Fetch.AI, though.....but decided that Chiliz are the best buy at the moment, underpriced, in my view.

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
Never know, but a few of the folks I watch that do TA have been predicting it as part of a "cup and handle" formation for some of my portfolio. Personally, I think we will be looking at this kind of up and down momentum for another month or so before the next big boom.
We'll see. Because of the immaturity of the market in some ways it's an exemplar of TA. In other ways - especially with individual holdings - it breaks from what you'd expect more than...well, than you'd expect.
I just picked up some more CHZ. ADA and SOL already appreciated, so I am buying the Alts that I want which still haven't had a price increase. CHZ is at the top of my list right now, after that SOLD(Solanex)......I looked really hard at Fetch.AI, though.....but decided that Chiliz are the best buy at the moment, underpriced, in my view.
I don't have a good way to think about valuing CHZ (and NFTs in general except some specific use cases), so I'm not going to buy/hold without a better picture of that. I did pick some up 8/8 @ 0.27 and sell 8/12 @ 0.35. I'm happy to take that as cash in pocket, and keep the ticker on a watch list for later analysis. Fetch is an interesting case, for sure. I don't know SOLD.

I expect to be concentrating my holdings over the next few weeks, as the right sell/buy opportunities arise. I'm looking to "reboot" using only the funds I've added over these last couple of months, pulling out all the funds I've invested. This isn't so much an investment strategy as a requirement of a nervous Mrs. Flagg. So my idea is to bring additional funds in and double down during this dip to leverage the upswing, then pull out all the originally invested funds and build the portfolio with just the returns. Essentially using the original seed money as a kickstarter loan.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that strategy, just keep in mind, that you have to account for short term capital gains tax doing it that way.

Flagg the Wanderer

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that strategy, just keep in mind, that you have to account for short term capital gains tax doing it that way.
Yeah, but the only reason you pay taxes is because you made returns. I don't really have the liberty to truly buy and hold at this point. Ideally I'd primarily buy/accumulate/hold, and when I have the attention to spare allow for some funds to make short term plays.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Well, yesterday I surpassed 100% ROI, not counting staking rewards, on my portfolio, took almost exactly 4 months....but I got in just before the May crash so I was down quite a bit on a few things for a long time.

I got the wife to invest $1,000 on August 1st, as of today, 9/3, she is up 144%, not counting staking rewards.

Just about everything is up in my portfolio, but most of the profits are from SOL and ADA. SOL in particular, has done almost a 5x for me. What I like about staking SOL on the Atomic Wallet (not sure if it works the same staking it elsewhere or not), is that your staking rewards get automatically staked, so it maximized compound interest. The rewards come roughly every 3 days, at roughly 7% APY.