Did Bill "tank" the Denver game?

I believe this happens far more than people realize, especially amongst the better teams.

That is the part I'll buy as well.

It's difficult to beat the same quality opponent twice showing all your cards the first time.

I'm not sure I buy into the undefeated season aspect. It was week 12. 6 more games and that facet is over, the playoffs are here, and we're sitting the 1st week.

Then, it's the exact same pressures for everyone: win and stay or lose and go home.

The undefeated part really only factored in the last 6 games of the regular season against very beatable teams. The playoffs are the playoffs. Same pressure every time.

Guys, I'm sorry but this is silly.

If you were going to give less than your best effort intentionally to "remove undefeated pressure" or whatever, why do that against the team you're going to be competing against for playoff seeding and give them a precious tiebreaker?

I don't think the 'losing' part was intentional.

As to the answer to your seeding question, IMO we have a big enough lead on the Broncos as it is. Now if the Pats see them in the playoffs, they can look back on this game for motivation and have a bunch more film on Osweiler (if he's still playing). If Peyton plays, it probably won't matter much. :shrug:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. If you want to move on to Philly here you go :)

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=70863

I'm on to Pittsburgh. :domORIGINAL:

I'm posting here because as a friend of the planet, many of you seem to be in denial about this and it concerns me. In your defense it doesn't happen very often so I can understand being a bit confused about what happened.

:D

The far more obvious answer is that a combination of bad calls, injuries, and missed opportunities/mistakes caused the Broncos to score more points than you did at the end of them game.

Which is fine, that happens to every team sooner or later. Stop looking for Nazi's in the woodpile.

You've moved on to Philly.

We don't expect you to understand it yet, Padawan. Sometimes those Nazis turn out to be real.

I don't think the 'losing' part was intentional.

As to the answer to your seeding question, IMO we have a big enough lead on the Broncos as it is. Now if the Pats see them in the playoffs, they can look back on this game for motivation and have a bunch more film on Osweiler (if he's still playing). If Peyton plays, it probably won't matter much. :shrug:

While I agree with you, that's a very dangerous mentality for the team to take.

As to the vanilla game plan, that clearly seems to be a result of injuries. If that later leads to a tactical advantage bully for you, but that doesn't mean that's the cause of it.

Just a fortunate side effectx

We don't expect you to understand it yet, Padawan. Sometimes those Nazis turn out to be real.

Just because you're not looking for them doesn't mean they're not there.

I'm on to Pittsburgh. :domORIGINAL:

I'm posting here because as a friend of the planet, many of you seem to be in denial about this and it concerns me. In your defense it doesn't happen very often so I can understand being a bit confused about what happened.

:D

I was born and raised in MA but I have lived in the D (well, near the D, kinda...via highway....) for 24 years. I watch the Lions sometimes......I have lived with defeat.... oh gosh did you see the mess last night?

I was born and raised in MA but I have lived in the D (well, near the D, kinda...via highway....) for 24 years. I watch the Lions sometimes......I have lived with defeat.... oh gosh did you see the mess last night?

Oh yeah and I laughed my balls off at it.

Detroit Lions doing Detroit Lion things...

Could having little film on Osweiler and a skeleton crew on O been the main causes for the vanilla? I mean they were stopping the run pretty well until they lost Hightower.
IIRC, young/unknown QBs have had field days against the Pats, they just don't usually beat them.

The far more obvious answer is that a combination of bad calls by corrupt refs, massive injuries, and Chandler not being able to catch a football caused the Broncos to score more points than you did at the end of them game.

Which is fine, that happens to every team sooner or later. Stop looking for Nazi's in the woodpile.

You've moved on to Philly.

fyp

Everything went down the drain after the muffed punt. The 2 most important being:

1. Field position: the Patriots were winning that battle all day long and it changed considerably after that play, which also led to a TD

2. Momentum: that play woke them up and took the "air" out of the Patriots.

The mere fact that the Patriots tied that game to send it to overtime was amazing, and tells you all you need to know about effort. Maybe they were holding something back, as Hawg referenced in the OP, sitting on it with more than 2 min before half and all 3 time outs.

The fact is, everything went their way, up to and including the coin toss. They got the situation they wanted. They kicked off, forced Denver into a 3 and out, got the ball back quickly, and struck fast with an immediate TD. They had their ideal situation of finishing the half with the ball, and starting the 2nd half with the possession. It's a game that they should have won.

That muffed punt gave Denver the keys to get a quick TD and made them think they were still in the game. Had the Patriots gone 3 and out, punted to pin Denver inside their 20, at least they would have earned it, but it would have taken a lot more time than if that punt didn't get mishandled in that situation.

If there is anybody out there that wants to illuminate me as to why a team that seldom throws deep was doing it so often to a guy that has pizza paddles at the end of his sleeves and has zero deep speed and against a team with a fine pass rush and excellent DBs, then I'd love to hear it.

That's a red herring. A giant one, to me.

That has nothing to do with any dumbed-down playbook, imo.

I haven't reviewed all the film, but didn't most of those plays happen when a TE or RB was outside one on one against a LB or Safety and not a CB?

That is, it was the matchup you wanted?

I've read a few bits around that said that was what McDaniel's game plan was, to force the Denver LB's to cover in space since that's not what they typically do and may not be able to do it well.

Von Miller certainly looked a little lost on the TD he gave up. Same thing with whoever was covering Bolden on his TD.

If you're going to try and exploit such a concept, you have to isolate the LB and run away from him to exploit the speed difference.

One obvious way to do that is go patterns

Chandler did get behind his defender multiple times, so although his speed may not be good, it was better than the guy covering him, and that's all that matters.

Would it have been better to use someone else to run those routes?

Who?

You had a total of three WR's and if you put one of them out there, they'd draw the CB in coverage.

So if you use two as decoys for the CB's, who else are you going to put out there that would draw a LB in coverage?

A TE or RB is the only real choice I can think of.

When Gronk was out there, he won't likely get one on one coverage from a LB. Well at least not after the first drive.

So Chandler's the best option you've got at TE.

No way Billy gives up the tie breaker against the Broncos. And no way he puts Brady in a position to get hit so many times. The Patriots played the game to win and didn't. A quality team and coach like Billacheat never play to lose. They came out with the best game plan they could. They lost. Next.

No way Billy gives up the tie breaker against the Broncos. And no way he puts Brady in a position to get hit so many times. The Patriots played the game to win and didn't. A quality team and coach like Billacheat never play to lose. They came out with the best game plan they could. They lost. Next.

Go jerk yourself off with your other delusionally retarded fanbase on OrangeMane. I'm sure you can make Patriots thread #9 this week over there. You guys are obsessed with us

Here we have the classic example of the typical clueless fan. Roots for shit team (I don't care that your Donkeys were in the Super Bowl a couple years, they haven't won shit since they got busted cheating the salary cap), is completely clueless as to game planning and preparation. Just come out and say you don't get it, it's easier and doesn't make you look nearly as stupid as saying something like this does.

There is a significant difference between playing to lose and not showing anything. But hey, be proud of your OT win against the Pats' practice squad. If you guys are lucky enough to make it to the Razor in January I can pretty much guarantee you will see something different.

Didn't the Broncos cheat the salary cap to win 2 Super Bowls?

Back