Did someone say we need a LB?

runnerone

Reaction score
More than 100 NFL personnel people showed up at Florida State's spring pro day Tuesday, and one of them reports that linebacker Michael Boulware put on the kind of remarkable show that can make him millions. The younger brother of Baltimore pass rusher Peter Boulware ran a stopwatch-popping 4.45 in the 40-yard dash and then followed it up with the fastest times in the shuttle run and the three-cone drill. Not interested yet? He topped the field in the vertical leap and the standing broad jump as well. Boulware's problem, if he has one, is that he weighs only 229 pounds and stands barely 6 feet 2 inches

This is just the kind of guy the Pats need if Colvin can't make it back to his previous form.
Younger, faster stronger..... Now what about his eating habits?

runnerone said:
This is just the kind of guy the Pats need if Colvin can't make it back to his previous form.
Younger, faster stronger..... Now what about his eating habits?

A lot of people would say that Belichick prefers bigger LB's but I think having a guy like Boulware would give them added versatility. He might be there at 21, although with that workout he is probably out of reach. I have yet to see the BB/Pioli select someone that gets that kind of attention but who knows.

He sure would be great on special teams, as well as covering backs in pass coverage. His size might hurt him against the rush though.

I just don't think I would go for a linebacker early in this draft. If Jackson, or one of the good wide receivers, slips down to us, I'd be all over that. Otherwise, I'd think about Greg Jones, or the best available person for the line (O or D).

In any case, with numbers like this, I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with him. I've never been this excited about an upcoming draft before. With all of the players coming out early this year, the Pats could set themselves up for many years to come.
________
ZL900A

Hey, Runnerone/Geo--
Thanks for posting this!... :)
I am trying to play "catch-up" here on the board and the impending draft... So, ANY good info like this is greatly appreciated!... :thumb:
He sounds good, but like NR said--BB and Pioli seldom go for anyone that there is much hype about... As a matter of fact, they seem to pride themselves on going for the "obscure" players that everyone else over-looks... All I know is that I would NOT bet a fishin' lure on whomever BB/Pioli will be picking... :D I simply trust that they will do whatever they deem is best for the TEAM... :)
And to paraphrase what dchester said--I am VERY EXCITED about the prospects of this draft, as it could POSITION us VERY WELL, for the long-term, given our Coaching staff and Bob Kraft's commitment/confidence in them...
Ain't life grand?!?!... :)
Woo-hoo!!! :thumb: :cool:

Looking at the aging LB's

I think the Pats could draft a first round LB and take one later on day two since the middle of the linebacking crew is getting a bit old. Here are some prospects.

http://www.patriots.com/news/fullarticle.sps?id=28228&type=general

So if the Patriots do decide to guard against both injury and continued aging in its experienced linebacking corps, using one of its nine picks on draft weekend would be a logical step. While New England has not selected a linebacker on the first day of draft weekend (or anywhere higher than the seventh round) since taking Andy Katzenmoyer in the first round in 1999, there is a reasonable chance that streak could be broken on April 24. Sitting atop the list of linebackers this spring are a pair of Miami Hurricanes in outside prospect D.J. Williams (6-1, 250) and inside backer Jonathan Vilma (6-0, 233). Both players could go in the first round and would add instant youth and athleticism to Romeo Crennel's defensive unit. Other prospects expected to go on the first day include OLBs like Auburn's Karlos Dansby (6-3, 251), Florida State's Michael Boulware (6-2, 225), Oklahoma's Teddy Lehman (6-1, 240) and Georgia Tech's Keyaron Fox (6-2, 227) and ILBs like Auburn's Dontarrious Thomas (6-2, 242), Oregon State's Richard Seigler (6-2, 244) and Georgia Tech's Daryl Smith (6-2, 234).

Should the Patriots once again wait until day two in an attempt to add youth to the linebacker spot guys that may still be available include names like Oklahoma's Pasha Jackson (6-3, 240), Pittsburgh's Lewis Moore (6-1, 234), Florida State's Kendyll Pope (6-1, 226) and Notre Dame's Courtney Watson (6-1, 232).

Back