Did the Patriots Get a Steal Drafting Mac Jones at #15 or Nah?

NSPatsFan

I'm disrespectful to dirt.
Reaction score
I'm Down From Canada and they think I'm slow Eh?
Brockman: He's not going to start week one.
Rich: How do you know?
Brockman: Why did you give Cam a big raise, then?
Me: Cam's contract is mostly incentives that don't pay out if he doesn't play x # of games, x % of snaps, etc.

Brockman: It's not sexy.
Me: WHO GIVES A **** IF IT'S SEXY?!? Sexy gets you stats and regular season wins. If you want sexy go take Aaron Rodgers and his one super bowl. I'll take a boring YAWN pick like first half of his career Brady and his 3 rings, thanks.

Brockman: I don't know if you saw the video the Pats tweeted out, no one in that room looked that excited either.
Me: Well, you got me there. Bill Belichick, widely known for his boundless enthusiasm and looseness when the cameras are on...

How TF is this guy a Pats fan AND working for a sports show and doesn't know these things? I respect Rich Eisen, filthy Jets fan he may be, but this guy knows less than my cat about the Patriots and what they've done. I don't know is this the Jets fan paying the Pats fan to sound dumb or something? 🤣

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1N2xnrgb7o

I got two minutes in and couldn't take any more. What's Cam got to do with whether or not Jones was a steal. Packers got a steal with Rogers and they had Favre. Likewise, He wasn't a steal because the Pats didn't move up to get him? In 2017 Bears moved up to get Trubisky and Chiefs sat and waited for Mahomes? Jones wasn't a steal because he won't start week one? Again, Mahommes.

Not saying Jones will turn out to be a steal, but this Brockman guy is a moron.

I will say that I think Mac Jones was the perfect QB for the Pats and a much better QB than...hey, you know what? He was a steal

When the curtain closed on this past NFL season, millions of fans across the country were dancing and singing, " Ding dong, the witch is dead..." After twenty years of being drenched with the dominance of the NE Patriots, they were convinced that it was permanently over. Then, the first few days of free agency occurred and even many haters had to grudgingly acknowledge the impressive accumulation of talent that occurred in Foxborough. But, even then, they could still cling to the obvious talent gap at QB as a reason to dismiss the possibility of a NE return to prominence. Then, the draft arrived and one of the 5 top QB prospects unexpectedly fell far enough and landed in NE. So now, although nothing is set in stone, the likelihood of a return to relevance has been enhanced even further. The response from the haters is a combination of contrived doubt and dismissiveness. In plain English, they're increasingly worried and heading toward dread. And, I love it.

He isn't a steal, it is about the highest he was expected to go before the SF trade....most big boards I saw had him somewhere between the 20th and 40th best player in the draft.

Of course alot of those same boards had Lance as ranked in the teens somewhere, and he went 3rd.

I've already seen the usual suspect idiots (Nick Wrong, Bucky Brooks, Skip Bayliss, etc) hating on Jones and it's eerily similar to the hate Brady has gotten in the past. Let's hope Jones thrives on it like Brady did.

I've already seen the usual suspect idiots (Nick Wrong, Bucky Brooks, Skip Bayliss, etc) hating on Jones and it's eerily similar to the hate Brady has gotten in the past. Let's hope Jones thrives on it like Brady did.
Even better, our local media believes Bill was forced to draft Jones by Kraft. That he didn't want him but wanted to go with defense at 15. :rolleyes:

We won't know if it is a steal until years from now.
What I like about it is if Jones is successful, more than the other 4 QBs taken ahead of him then you kind of have the Brady 6. Not quite the same obviously because Brady was 6th round but Jones did go behind the other guys so I like that narrative a lot.

The answer will be told someday...but, my gut feels like yes. BB never had to burn extra picks for him. Smart and confident.

Seeing him play in the playoffs feels like he's going to be a great pick...he did have a lot of talent around him, but, he played against the top talent opposite of him too.

What I like about it is if Jones is successful, more than the other 4 QBs taken ahead of him then you kind of have the Brady 6. Not quite the same obviously because Brady was 6th round but Jones did go behind the other guys so I like that narrative a lot.
Hopefully he'll have a Jones 4 rather than being the next Kevin O'Connell

I am happy they were able to get Mac but I don't know if it was a steal, only time will tell.

I feel like he was drafted in about the spot he deserved to be.

Last edited:
In terms of the amount of capital it cost the Niners and Bears to get their guy, in comparison this was easily a steal. That said, he needs to prove it on the field to assure it was indeed a steal. I'm very optimistic about it, though. Everything about him screams good NFL QB.

In terms of the amount of capital it cost the Niners and Bears to get their guy, in comparison this was easily a steal. That said, he needs to prove it on the field to assure it was indeed a steal. I'm very optimistic about it, though. Everything about him screams good NFL QB.
That's what I think. It's all relative. If you put us beside the Niners, and the fact that unlike them we didn't have to throw diamonds away to get our guy, it was a steal from the draft day perspective. From a playing perspective, we will need years to make that call. The potential is huge with this guy to be a very good QB for this team.

Was Brady a steal for the Pats? Yeah, he was picked in the 6th round, and he helped lead them to 6 lombardies, and 3 other trips to the promised land-the SB- (and more trips to the AFC Championship game, in 2006, 2012, 2013, 2015)-and 4 more trips to the playoffs, in 2005, 2009, 2010, and 2019.

That's what I think. It's all relative. If you put us beside the Niners, and the fact that unlike them we didn't have to throw diamonds away to get our guy, it was a steal from the draft day perspective. From a playing perspective, we will need years to make that call. The potential is huge with this guy to be a very good QB for this team.
The niners were just plain dumb. I think the biggest take away from this draft was that fact. Now if Lance goes on to be special something than it is all water under the bridge but they probably could have had him by trading up just a few spots from 12 and they certainly could have had Jones at 12 for no draft capital at all.

Back