Do you Believe in Bigfoot ?

Hogfarmer

Reaction score
I gotta admit that this is a topic that's intrigued me for many years. There are now just so many videos relating to this that I find myself spending countless hours watching usually late at night when I'm bored but are so fascinating.

I'm wondering what your opinions are on if they exist or not. This guy has lots of great hunting stories to tell as he is a professional hunting guide and several Sasquatch encounters if you like this type of thing.

Here you go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_vCwgVnYhi0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bigfoot? Really? No.

I scanned through, watched less than a minute.

So, a guide has a story? That, my friend, is part of the job.

I gotta admit that this is a topic that's intrigued me for many years. There are now just so many videos relating to this that I find myself spending countless hours watching usually late at night when I'm bored but are so fascinating.

I'm wondering what your opinions are on if they exist or not. This guy has lots of great hunting stories to tell as he is a professional hunting guide and several Sasquatch encounters if you like this type of thing.

Here you go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_vCwgVnYhi0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I knew you were pretty stoopid, but THIS stoopid?

I knew you were pretty stoopid, but THIS stoopid?

I think its an interesting subject. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean you are right. Doesn't mean you are wrong . Pretty sure, well I'm positive, you don't know everything. Nor do I.

Bigfoot.... no :eyeroll:

Abominable Snowman... sure, why not :shrug:

I think its an interesting subject. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean you are right. Doesn't mean you are wrong . Pretty sure, well I'm positive, you don't know everything. Nor do I.

To quote the philosopher Sagan, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

I recognize that large fauna can exist without being known to science.

The Saola is native to Vietnam and Laos, is a relative of antelopes and wasn't confirmed to exist until 1992.

So one cannot say it is impossible that a large unknown animal could be living in the forests of North America, but the probability for Bigfoot is very low.

The primary problem that if Bigfoot existed, it would be a species of unknown hominid.

There is only one hominid species know to inhabit the Americas, that would be us.

All other primates are monkeys, specifically "New World" monkeys, which is evolutionary distinct from "Old World" monkeys.

So the question becomes, how could this one species of hominid get here (outside of humans) and no others did?

Humans are thought to only have migrated here in the last 15 to 20,000 years, and there is plenty of fossil evidence of humans in Asia, Africa, and Europe prior to that.

If Bigfoot is an unknown Hominid species, where is all the fossil evidence for it in Africa, Asia, or Europe?

Have people seen things in the forest that they can't immediately explain?

I'm sure they have.

But that doesn't "prove" that they saw Bigfoot.

Humans are hardwired to find patterns and fit things in categories.

Think about it. People look at clouds and see shapes of animals, people, etc. People see Elvis, Jesus, Mary, etc. in their toast, the stain on a wall, the bark of a tree, etc.

We do this fore a very good reason.

The little primate very much in the before time that spotted the pattern of the lion in the grass lived to breed more little primates. The one that didn't, was lunch.

By the same token, putting things in categories helps stay alive as well. recognizing something is only half the step to escaping the lion, knowing what to do matters more.

So you have to categorize things, to know which patterns mean you found lunch, vs those that mean you are lunch.

IMHO, this hardwiring is responsible for the vast majority of conspiracy theories, beliefs in ancient aliens, UFO, paranormal, etc.

Yes, there may be an incident here or there that may warrant being investigated as a legitimate phenomena/event, but the vast majority are pattern matching and categorization run amok.

Take UFO's as an example.

OK, let's assume that there is a completely inexplicable sighting of something in the air.

Then by definition, it is an "unidentified flying object".

So how did that mean that it is a flying saucer filled with space aliens?

That is the sole possible explanation for something we don't know what it is?

That's because we are hardwired to put it in a category. "Unknown" just doesn't cut it.

BTW, IMHO, most of the "inexplicable" UFO signings could well be Ball Lightning.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U9SrGOma5YE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks HogFarmer. We don't know everything about this planet or environment.

For instance, this monster cave was just discovered last year in an extremely remote area of Wells Gray Provincial Park in British Columbia:

https://globalnews.ca/video/4721329/geologist-catherine-hickson-describes-cave-discovery

No.

If stories are all you have, you have nothing.

The idea that a large population of unknown hominid could be roaming around without a dead body or bones ever being found is ridiculous. Not a single one has ever been shot by a human, or simply found dead? Every time someone claims they have something, it turns out to be a likely hoax (like footprint impressions) or something else (like a hair sample which ends up being from a bison or something).

Get me a corpse, and we'll talk. Until then, forget it.

No.

If stories are all you have, you have nothing.

The idea that a large population of unknown hominid could be roaming around without a dead body or bones ever being found is ridiculous. Not a single one has ever been shot by a human, or simply found dead? Every time someone claims they have something, it turns out to be a likely hoax (like footprint impressions) or something else (like a hair sample which ends up being from a bison or something).

Get me a corpse, and we'll talk. Until then, forget it.

I've always believed that the bigfoot film footage was shot on the same sound stage as the lunar landings. :coffee:

Cheers

Here you go.

I'm very interested in the topic and the stories from the guy you linked are generally excellent. I've listened to a bunch of them.

Certain pieces of evidence are really hard to dismiss scientifically. I'd mention the studies of primatologist Dr. Jeff Meldrum ( U of Idaho) who has discovered tiny dermal ridges in print casts that run lengthwise along the foot which unheard of in nature. He has found this in casts from all over the world and it would be impossible to fake. So.....why do they exist?

I don't know if you've seen it, but the Todd Standing films shown on Survivorman (with Les Stroud) are really intriguing. Fucking weird close ups of two alleged sasquatch faces looking straight into his camera.

Also, some of the footage from a recent show called "Paranormal: Caught on Camera on the Travel Channel. One (can't find a link) showed a clip of a beast that was so improbably enormous through the chest and shoulders that I don't believe it could be a human in a suit. You have to see the clip to understand what I'm saying. It's better than the Patterson film.

So many stories from so many cultures all over the world all saying the same thing. At very least it is one hell of a mystery.

Bigfoot is about as real as a Lombardi showing up in KC...

It's no more mysterious than other stories about other cryptids in other places. The explanation most likely rests in the human brain, not outside it.

Once a supposed phenomenon grows to the point where notoriety/money can be had, you really can't trust very much of what you hear or see from "witnesses". Including alleged photos, recordings or secondary artefacts.

Hoax is the preferred explanation until shown otherwise.

Again, get me a corpse. Until then you're wasting my time.

To quote the philosopher Sagan, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

I recognize that large fauna can exist without being known to science.

The Saola is native to Vietnam and Laos, is a relative of antelopes and wasn't confirmed to exist until 1992.

So one cannot say it is impossible that a large unknown animal could be living in the forests of North America, but the probability for Bigfoot is very low.

The primary problem that if Bigfoot existed, it would be a species of unknown hominid.

There is only one hominid species know to inhabit the Americas, that would be us.

All other primates are monkeys, specifically "New World" monkeys, which is evolutionary distinct from "Old World" monkeys.

So the question becomes, how could this one species of hominid get here (outside of humans) and no others did?

Humans are thought to only have migrated here in the last 15 to 20,000 years, and there is plenty of fossil evidence of humans in Asia, Africa, and Europe prior to that.

If Bigfoot is an unknown Hominid species, where is all the fossil evidence for it in Africa, Asia, or Europe?

Have people seen things in the forest that they can't immediately explain?

I'm sure they have.

But that doesn't "prove" that they saw Bigfoot.

Humans are hardwired to find patterns and fit things in categories.

Think about it. People look at clouds and see shapes of animals, people, etc. People see Elvis, Jesus, Mary, etc. in their toast, the stain on a wall, the bark of a tree, etc.

We do this fore a very good reason.

The little primate very much in the before time that spotted the pattern of the lion in the grass lived to breed more little primates. The one that didn't, was lunch.

By the same token, putting things in categories helps stay alive as well. recognizing something is only half the step to escaping the lion, knowing what to do matters more.

So you have to categorize things, to know which patterns mean you found lunch, vs those that mean you are lunch.

IMHO, this hardwiring is responsible for the vast majority of conspiracy theories, beliefs in ancient aliens, UFO, paranormal, etc.

Yes, there may be an incident here or there that may warrant being investigated as a legitimate phenomena/event, but the vast majority are pattern matching and categorization run amok.

Take UFO's as an example.

OK, let's assume that there is a completely inexplicable sighting of something in the air.

Then by definition, it is an "unidentified flying object".

So how did that mean that it is a flying saucer filled with space aliens?

That is the sole possible explanation for something we don't know what it is?

That's because we are hardwired to put it in a category. "Unknown" just doesn't cut it.

BTW, IMHO, most of the "inexplicable" UFO signings could well be Ball Lightning.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U9SrGOma5YE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You and I have tangoed on this topic in the past but I wonder if you are aware of the recent developments involving Congress and some heavy hitters in the Navy and other levels of Government on a recent wave of encounters involving the USS Nimitz battlegroup?

This shit is a game-changer.

I don't know if anybody will watch this entire clip, but it's actually just a teaser for extremely well-evidenced military encounters. Don't argue with me, argue with some of the finest, most highly-trained professionals in avionics.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PRgoisHRmUE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just because you can't immediately identify or explain something unusual, doesn't make it a spaceship from another planet. Why anyone would jump to that conclusion first is a horrendous violation of Occam's Razor and seems like wishcasting to me.

I'll share a story with you. I go up to Maine to a friends cabin with a bunch of guys for a long weekend every February. It's remote. 4WD / Snowmobile access only in the winter.
We've been doing this since the 1980's. About 1996/7 trip I made a run to the nearest town to get gas for the generator and a few groceries.
I'm driving down this two lane road ( Sugarloaf area) and about 1/8 mile in front of me something real tall and black walks across the road. On two legs. In about 3 steps. I have no idea what it was and I ain't saying it was a bigfoot. I went back to the cabin and I didn't say a damned word to the boys. Or anyone else.
There's no houses or habitation where this happened. It was late afternoon. It was about 10 degrees out. It wasn't a bear. Let me tell those from "not New England" there aren't any bears walking around on two legs in the dead of a Maine winter. I stopped the truck where I saw it cross and saw nothing. Rolled down the windows and looked into the woods. Did not get out of vehicle.

Again no idea what it was, but it did pique my interest in the topic. I'm open minded but until someone proves without a doubt that such a beast exists people have a right to be skeptical.
Laugh if you want but true story.

I'll share a story with you. I go up to Maine to a friends cabin with a bunch of guys for a long weekend every February. It's remote. 4WD / Snowmobile access only in the winter.
We've been doing this since the 1980's. About 1996/7 trip I made a run to the nearest town to get gas for the generator and a few groceries.
I'm driving down this two lane road ( Sugarloaf area) and about 1/8 mile in front of me something real tall and black walks across the road. On two legs. In about 3 steps. I have no idea what it was and I ain't saying it was a bigfoot. I went back to the cabin and I didn't say a damned word to the boys. Or anyone else.
There's no houses or habitation where this happened. It was late afternoon. It was about 10 degrees out. It wasn't a bear. Let me tell those from "not New England" there aren't any bears walking around on two legs in the dead of a Maine winter. I stopped the truck where I saw it cross and saw nothing. Rolled down the windows and looked into the woods. Did not get out of vehicle.

Again no idea what it was, but it did pique my interest in the topic. I'm open minded but until someone proves without a doubt that such a beast exists people have a right to be skeptical.
Laugh if you want but true story.

It sounds like you saw a tall black person crossing the road... Maybe a pro basketball player enjoying the solitary nature of the Maine wilderness?

So, people that know me know that I'm a paranormal "enthusiast". The topic just interests me. But I never had a personal experience that I could say was paranormal.

That is, up until the end of June. I was visiting New Orleans and the last day of the trip the four of us went to a plantation outside of Baton Rouge called Houmas House.

It's a recent restoration project and the home is unbelievably beautiful. So, we're taking a tour and our tour guide was wearing a long period-costume dress. I'm half-listening to her and just taking in all the amazing antiques, etc., and I notice another tour group in a different room. There was a glass wall with french doors between us and there happened to be a young girl goofing around at the glass wall and she's wearing a long, blue old-style dress. The heat index was 106 that day, BTW.

I didn't pay that much attention and later in the day we were talking about how cool the place was and all the tours they offer. We were talking about the way the guides were dressed and I said something like "not just the guides, did you see that little girl wearing the long, blue dress? Why would a kid dress like that on such a hot day?" Nobody had seen her and they were giving me shit, but I didn't think much of it. Later, I googled the place (which I knew nothing about prior) and ran across the opinion that it is the most haunted place in the state of Louisiana.

The legend of La Petite Fille began in the summer of 2003, shortly after the new owner, Kevin Kelly, purchased the plantation and began a complete makeover of the house.

“It was an extreme makeover,” says the plantation’s website. “And to say the least, it was disruptive. Literally no stone on the property was left unturned, and in the process, some say, a spirit was awakened.”

One of the workers from the electrician crew was the first to report seeing the girl, saying he witnessed her descend from the main stairway and then again saw her in the central hall. Her presence brought upon many concerns, as the house was under major construction and posed safety threats, especially to children.

Other crew members also reported seeing a young girl in a blue dress with brown hair and dark eyes, though before they could ask what she was doing there she disappeared.

Since the completion of the renovation, many guests have often said they have seen the girl in the blue dress, though usually in the morning or late afternoon.

I was there at 11 in the morning. There are untold reports of this kid all over the web and the description in each is almost identical. The kid I saw checked every box.

She didn't look like an apparition or hazy in any way. It just looking like a kid goofing around having fun to me. The part that made no sense was the dress. It was way too authentic-looking. It definitely wasn't a halloween costume.

I'm not saying I saw a Ghost, but almost all the stuff I read was eerily similar to the kid I saw. It made me wish I paid a lot closer attention.

After that we went straight to a drive-thru daquiri bar and I drank a 32oz "swampwater". That whole deal freaked me out a little.

Back