Do you Believe in Bigfoot ?

We don't go quite up that far, probably 2 hours south of there. Damn pretty country and surprising to visitors who think you have to go west to find wild places in this country. That area is as remote as can be.

My best friends ex is living 8 hours away from Concord up in that area.

Working but otherwise living off the land, growing their weed and being basically off the grid.

Interesting country up there. Seems to be easy to disappear. Hmmm!! 🙂

I might start watching North Country Law or whatever it is just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
I'll share a tale with you all. I think I saw one years ago. I've never spoken to a soul about this, except my wife. I trust that those of you who know me outside of the board will not mention it.
My best friend acquired a large plot of land years ago in remote Northern Maine. In the old days, we'd ride our motorcycles up there and camp and engage in much debauchery. In the early 80's he decided to build a cabin, and we spend most weekends up there working on it, and we eventually did complete it. For all these years it's been our guys gathering place, with more weekends and trips than I can recall. In particular, the big weekend on the calendar is in February each year, we go up there for a long 4 day weekend, play cards, have huge fires, eat fine food and drink copious amounts of alcohol. It is circled on the calendar each year and is not to be missed.
It's about a 20 mile trip to the nearest town and can be a challenging ride in winter. Dirt roads, etc. Over the course of 4 days sometimes we make a trip for food/beer/ gas for the generator, etc.
Around 1996, we needed to make such a trip, and since my 4WD truck was the last one in the road and it was really shitty out, I got elected to make a town run for supplies, which I did. It was colder than snot, and it had just stopped snowing, and was about 3 in the afternoon. Got to town, did the errands headed back. The local 2-lane is sparsely populated, one of those country roads with a 50MPH limit in good weather, but today I was doing about 30 in 4WD. I was on a long straightaway when I noticed movement on the roadside about 150 yards ahead of me. This huge dark figure steps into the road, and crosses it in 3 steps. On two legs. This was before the internet and all the publicized information we see now. I did a huge double take and just watched this thing cross. There was a speed limit sign there, and this figure was taller than the sign. I rolled to a stop right where it crossed and rolled down my windows to take a look, they were covered with road salt so I wanted to see more clearly. Nothing. I sat there a minute processing WTF I just saw. There was no way it was a bear. Bears don't walk around on two legs in the depth of a Maine winter. They are all sleeping soundly in their dens.
Needless to say, I knew if I got back to the cabin and said anything, the ridicule and razzing would reach Defcon 10 levels. So I zipped my mouth and never said a word to anyone... didn't even tell my wife about it till maybe 10 years later.
All I can tell you is this thing was huge, taller than a road sign, crossed a 30 foot wide roadway in three strides, and was covered with dark hair. Whole incident lasted 15 seconds. Was it a Bigfoot, no idea. But not sure what the hell it was.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Great story. Maine is a very big place with lots of places to hide.

However, the bolded part reminds me of those Paranormal reality shows when they're, say, looking for a ghost in an abandoned insane asylum and suddenly they hear a disembodied voice
screaming at them to GET OUT!!!! ,see blood dripping down the walls, hear the sound of dragging chains, etc. etc. and somebody will always ask, as if they have no earthly idea, "what the hell was THAT?"

I always think, let's consider the fundamental situation here. Could it maybe be a GHOST???? Hmmmmmm?

You can't be sure, based on the details you provided, but if I was you I'd feel like I probably saw a Squatch.

We don't go quite up that far, probably 2 hours south of there. Damn pretty country and surprising to visitors who think you have to go west to find wild places in this country. That area is as remote as can be.
Oh yeah, and that's why I loved it there. It's completely untamed! That was a great story, btw!

Found it. It from "Missing 411: The Hunted" and was a pretty creepy doc. The section I referred to began at the 1:12 mark in
case this doesn't begin there. It's a lot better than the audio clip above.

View: https://youtu.be/khwPVkoW8IE?t=4323

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through this, winding down on the search for the guy in Montana, Aaron Hedges. Good video so far, but THIS case is where I really started to pay attention and stop what else I was doing. The discoveries of his items and remains are very, very strange.

Now is the part about the Sierra's, just starting

In 2019 I spent two nights at Lake Wassataquoik in Baxter State Park. It's a long dirt road into the park where you leave the car and then a day and a half on foot to get to the lake.

I'd read that one of the mountains that rings the lake is considered the most remote spot east of the Mississippi, although I really don't know how they made that determination. Maybe
it's how many miles you are from the nearest McDonalds.

Whatever, it sure seemed way off the grid out there.

There have been a couple of sightings in the area. The following pic was taken by a logger who (allegedly) ran across the critter in North Millinocket, which is close to the south entrance to Baxter.

I like this photo because even though the resolution is bad (it was zoomed way in from the original) you can see that there is some definite mass to it. It was squatting down
drinking from a puddle as the story goes. Maybe some day I'll run across the same critter. jim-stanley21 (1).jpg

The bears are everywhere up there. We've had issues with them at the cabin. I have not personally seen one but the other guys have. They went to town ( this was in summer) and came back to find Yogi had gone after the gas grill and was busily cleaning up all the grease. I was actually enroute to Maine at the time, and got a call asking me to stop on the way and purchase a new grill.
My friend was there alone and had a hairy incident, one was on the deck and he was inside with a 30-06 round chambered. On the phone to Fish and Game to find out if he could shoot it. They told him if it tried to get inside, shoot it. It didn't and eventually wandered off.

I was in Alaska at the Mendenhall Glacier visitor's center just outside of Juneau. The salmon were running and the bears were
absolutely gorging on them. There was a viewing platform that overlooked a river and we were watching a Momma bear stuffing
her face from around 50 feet away when somebody noticed that her curious cub had wandered onto the platform behind us and we all did
a cartoon WHOOOOAAAHHHH!!!! and took off running because we got caught in between the two, which is very bad.

Fortunately, the Momma was so fish-drunk that she never noticed a thing. That was the biggest bear I've seen.

There are plenty of bears at Baxter and you have to hang your food properly so they can't get at it, but the ones I've seen there seem skittish
of humans and tend to be on the small side, but........they're still bears. You have to be aware at all times.

I love scanning the recommended or relative links on YouTube.
I found this one just now and it looks good. I'm sure many of you are familiar with it?

I love scanning the recommended or relative links on YouTube.
I found this one just now and it looks good. I'm sure many of you are familiar with it?

I actually live just outside the described "triangle" and close to the Bridgewater line and the Hockomock swamp.

It's very watchable for me because I've been to a lot of those places, but while the video is a nice production they
do let some whackjobs get more airtime than I'd prefer. I'm talking about the Pukwudgie guy in particular. You'll
see what I mean.

Everybody has to draw their own line in the sand for what they can plausibly accept and that's well on the far side to me.

I have had a few of these, though:pukwudgie.jpg

I actually live just outside the described "triangle" and close to the Bridgewater line and the Hockomock swamp.

It's very watchable for me because I've been to a lot of those places, but while the video is a nice production they
do let some whackjobs get more airtime than I'd prefer. I'm talking about the Pukwudgie guy in particular. You'll
see what I mean.

Everybody has to draw their own line in the sand for what they can plausibly accept and that's well on the far side to me.

I have had a few of these, though:
Yep, I saw and knew immediately why you called him out. That part really did a disservice to the Film, but overall, I found it pretty interesting

Yep, I saw and knew immediately why you called him out. That part really did a disservice to the Film, but overall, I found it pretty interesting

That guy was actually pretty comical when he imitated the pukwudgies trying to speak English. "C'meer!" I feel sorry for his dog and so do all
the dogs in that neighborhood. The owner is clearly whacked out. I think what we can all learn from that particular legend
is that Native Americans had a pretty good sense of humor.

In general, the "triangle" thing bugs me. People tend to try to force that description on paranormal stuff because of the
fame of the Bermuda triangle. I know a lot of people from Bridgewater and most of them have never heard the term, much
less had paranormal experiences. It's a marketing thing.

Incidentally, I've seen the Hewins' sisters (the abduction twins) at a local bar but didn't bother them. I imagine their life isn't
all that easy and they look pretty rough. Also, one of my favorite parts of the film was the local news crew that witnessed the UFO in broad daylight. That
happened 10 minutes from my house and I'd never heard that story before.

I can also confirm that all the Satanic ritual stuff that is alleged in Freetown State Forest is not exaggerated. We know a Cop
that has been called in there a bunch of times and he advises people to just steer clear of that place.

That guy was actually pretty comical when he imitated the pukwudgies trying to speak English. "C'meer!" I feel sorry for his dog and so do all
the dogs in that neighborhood. The owner is clearly whacked out. I think what we can all learn from that particular legend
is that Native Americans had a pretty good sense of humor.

In general, the "triangle" thing bugs me. People tend to try to force that description on paranormal stuff because of the
fame of the Bermuda triangle. I know a lot of people from Bridgewater and most of them have never heard the term, much
less had paranormal experiences. It's a marketing thing.

Incidentally, I've seen the Hewins' sisters (the abduction twins) at a local bar but didn't bother them. I imagine their life isn't
all that easy and they look pretty rough. Also, one of my favorite parts of the film was the local news crew that witnessed the UFO in broad daylight. That
happened 10 minutes from my house and I'd never heard that story before.

I can also confirm that all the Satanic ritual stuff that is alleged in Freetown State Forest is not exaggerated. We know a Cop
that has been called in there a bunch of times and he advises people to just steer clear of that place.
Man, that's good stuff. I was lol'ing so hard at the c'mere, c'mere, like, come on, seriously???

A few posts back I mentioned that I like to go to the backcountry parts of Baxter State Park and posted a pic allegedly of a Squatch taken just outside that park.

Anyhow, I just ran across this report on the BFRO website and it is a pretty interesting one with a lot of detail and the guy that wrote it seems like a qualified,
no-bullshit guy

Report # 8259 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, March 13, 2004.

Hunters find scat and have large rock thrown at them

MONTH: November

STATE: Maine

COUNTY: Piscataquis County

LOCATION DETAILS: We were camped south of Long Pond in the Trout Brook Mt. Quad of Baxter State Park. We were were walking south from the southern shore of Long Pond toward the elevation of Billfish Mt. (Baxter State Park contains Mt. Katadhin).

OBSERVED: I am a Ph.D. environmental physiologist working for Natick Labs in Massachusetts. In the fall of 1970, I was hunting on the east side of the lake [Long Pond] in Baxter State Forest with Danny Wolfe, a vet now in Ohio, a friend from Montana (deceased) and another vet. One morning I hunted alone south of the lake, when I encountered a strange musky smell in the woods along with a foot-long black scat that looked human except for the extraordinary thickness and width. I also observed small scat that looked like a large pile of baby feces with white and yellow texture. As I proceeded on, I was confronted with the sound of thumping like a partridge on steroids drumming. The ground actually shook. The hair on my neck was raised and the pit of my stomach seemed suddenly queasy as the rotten smell got worse. Suddenly, a large dead tree came crashing down about a hundred yards in front of me. This scared the s... out of me, as the woods were deathly quiet, no wind, no birds etc. I returned to camp and was severely guffawed by the two vets, Dr. Heisel and Dr. Wolfe.

Wolfe, however, agreed to accompany me the next day. We went further into the swampy woods, saw yesterday's scat and Danny said whatever it was it was certainly big to push that dead tree down. We continued until the area became quite rocky with boulders larger than our heads on all sides. Danny said this doesn't look like a good place to be because something could jump us before we could react. Suddenly, we encountered the drumming and ground shaking again. This was followed by a huge rock, which flew over our heads and impacted on a hill to our left. Needless to say, we were both speechless and Danny said whatever could throw a fifty-pound rock fifty yards was not something he would care to encounter. Even though Danny had a 7 mm mag and I had a 270, we both agreed to leave. It was quite evident that whatever we had pissed off was clearly warning us not to go further. We returned to camp and my two friends became believers.

The hunt was a failure because there were no signs of deer or even moose in the area. We have enjoyed retelling this story to our kids and friends over the years because none of us had ever experienced anything like it in years of hunting in Me, NH, MA, Montana or Colorado. It was the scariest thing I have ever encountered in my hunting career.

I have shot elk in Colorado and this year my wife and I shot over fifty pheasants and five deer. I am on the Board of Advisors of the Uxbridge Rod and Gun club, and as the Army's former expert on desert survival and heatstroke physiology (Editorial Board of Wilderness and Environmental Medicine; I wrote the survival manual for Desert Storm and Desert Shield). I have published over 200 scientific papers, abstracts, and book chapters. But this is the first time I have written about this strange encounter! I am 65 and have retired from Army Environmental Medicine as a lab director.

ALSO NOTICED: The smell, the human-like monster scat, the baby scat and the drumming, ground shaking, tree falling, and boulder throwing.

OTHER WITNESSES: One veterinarian.

OTHER STORIES: None.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Early morning, overcast, cloudy, cold, misty rain, no sun or wind.

ENVIRONMENT: Woods but swampy leading to rocky heights.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach:

The primary witness stated that he initially became nervous over the unusual quiet of the forest, a state of mind that changed to fear with the discovery of the scat, followed by "terror of the unknown" with the falling tree and the thrown rock, respectively.

The witness commented that he smelled the small scat up close and it had the distinctive aroma of that of a breast-feeding baby. The large scat was about 14" long, 2" in diameter and contained visible hairs and seeds. Its black color suggested to them that the animal had intestinal bleeding (possibly from an abundance of hookworms, observed by WHF in a fresh stool sample in Oregon). Conversely, if this encounter was with a female recently postpartum, it might be indicative of her having eaten the placenta, which would blacken the stool.

The drumming sounded to the witness exactly like chest beating (known to reach frequencies of 10 beats per second in gorillas) and probable foot stomping, given the perceptible vibration in the soil. He assumed that there had been a male, female and infant, the latter two implied in the report, the male speculated to be present on the basis of the physical feats which would be unlikely to be performed by a female with a baby at the breast.

The downed tree was a dead hardwood tree, about 30' high.

The rock thrown at the two "interlopers" was spinning and traveling rapidly enough that its passage was audible. Its total trajectory was estimated at 50-75 yards and the weight of a head-sized rock about 25-50 lb. Both witnesses were sufficiently unnerved by the event that they never considered taking a stool sample or collecting the thrown rock.

The Witness indicated that the "chest thumping" was at a frequency of approximately 4 per second and were regular

I'm gonna be camping in the Trout Brook section of the park in September and have been to Long Pond where these hunters had their encounter. It is about a 3 hour hike from where I'll be. I wanted to plan a night at Long Pond on this trip because it's an especially beautiful spot, but my crew objected because they don't like carrying tents and that site has no lean-to. Until I read this report I'd never heard of an experience such as this one inside the park's borders even though the place is about as wilderness as you can get in this part of the country. It's a State Park in name only and is actually a wilderness trust with no cell service, electricity or plumbing anywhere in it's 200,000+ acres. I might lobby for a day hike out there to see if I can find a rock field like the one described.

With any luck, I might get a 50lb. rock thrown at my head from a giant, unknown hominid that takes enormous shits.

A few posts back I mentioned that I like to go to the backcountry parts of Baxter State Park and posted a pic allegedly of a Squatch taken just outside that park.

Anyhow, I just ran across this report on the BFRO website and it is a pretty interesting one with a lot of detail and the guy that wrote it seems like a qualified,
no-bullshit guy

Report # 8259 (Class B)
Submitted by witness on Saturday, March 13, 2004.

Hunters find scat and have large rock thrown at them

MONTH: November

STATE: Maine

COUNTY: Piscataquis County

LOCATION DETAILS: We were camped south of Long Pond in the Trout Brook Mt. Quad of Baxter State Park. We were were walking south from the southern shore of Long Pond toward the elevation of Billfish Mt. (Baxter State Park contains Mt. Katadhin).

OBSERVED: I am a Ph.D. environmental physiologist working for Natick Labs in Massachusetts. In the fall of 1970, I was hunting on the east side of the lake [Long Pond] in Baxter State Forest with Danny Wolfe, a vet now in Ohio, a friend from Montana (deceased) and another vet. One morning I hunted alone south of the lake, when I encountered a strange musky smell in the woods along with a foot-long black scat that looked human except for the extraordinary thickness and width. I also observed small scat that looked like a large pile of baby feces with white and yellow texture. As I proceeded on, I was confronted with the sound of thumping like a partridge on steroids drumming. The ground actually shook. The hair on my neck was raised and the pit of my stomach seemed suddenly queasy as the rotten smell got worse. Suddenly, a large dead tree came crashing down about a hundred yards in front of me. This scared the s... out of me, as the woods were deathly quiet, no wind, no birds etc. I returned to camp and was severely guffawed by the two vets, Dr. Heisel and Dr. Wolfe.

Wolfe, however, agreed to accompany me the next day. We went further into the swampy woods, saw yesterday's scat and Danny said whatever it was it was certainly big to push that dead tree down. We continued until the area became quite rocky with boulders larger than our heads on all sides. Danny said this doesn't look like a good place to be because something could jump us before we could react. Suddenly, we encountered the drumming and ground shaking again. This was followed by a huge rock, which flew over our heads and impacted on a hill to our left. Needless to say, we were both speechless and Danny said whatever could throw a fifty-pound rock fifty yards was not something he would care to encounter. Even though Danny had a 7 mm mag and I had a 270, we both agreed to leave. It was quite evident that whatever we had pissed off was clearly warning us not to go further. We returned to camp and my two friends became believers.

The hunt was a failure because there were no signs of deer or even moose in the area. We have enjoyed retelling this story to our kids and friends over the years because none of us had ever experienced anything like it in years of hunting in Me, NH, MA, Montana or Colorado. It was the scariest thing I have ever encountered in my hunting career.

I have shot elk in Colorado and this year my wife and I shot over fifty pheasants and five deer. I am on the Board of Advisors of the Uxbridge Rod and Gun club, and as the Army's former expert on desert survival and heatstroke physiology (Editorial Board of Wilderness and Environmental Medicine; I wrote the survival manual for Desert Storm and Desert Shield). I have published over 200 scientific papers, abstracts, and book chapters. But this is the first time I have written about this strange encounter! I am 65 and have retired from Army Environmental Medicine as a lab director.

ALSO NOTICED: The smell, the human-like monster scat, the baby scat and the drumming, ground shaking, tree falling, and boulder throwing.

OTHER WITNESSES: One veterinarian.

OTHER STORIES: None.

TIME AND CONDITIONS: Early morning, overcast, cloudy, cold, misty rain, no sun or wind.

ENVIRONMENT: Woods but swampy leading to rocky heights.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach:

I'm gonna be camping in the Trout Brook section of the park in September and have been to Long Pond where these hunters had their encounter. It is about a 3 hour hike from where I'll be. I wanted to plan a night at Long Pond on this trip because it's an especially beautiful spot, but my crew objected because they don't like carrying tents and that site has no lean-to. Until I read this report I'd never heard of an experience such as this one inside the park's borders even though the place is about as wilderness as you can get in this part of the country. It's a State Park in name only and is actually a wilderness trust with no cell service, electricity or plumbing anywhere in it's 200,000+ acres. I might lobby for a day hike out there to see if I can find a rock field like the one described.

With any luck, I might get a 50lb. rock thrown at my head from a giant, unknown hominid that takes enormous shits.
I wish I was still in the Buffalo Area. It would be worth it to make the trip and camp with you, if you'd have been willing

Claremonster laughed when I suggested this for Native Americans instead. So I'll suggest it for Bigfoot... (bigfeet?)

American Aborigines.

Back