Do you exist in real life?

Do you REALLY exist?

• Total voters
hurts_when_i_exist.gif

I wonder if this thread would show up if you Googled "thread hijack"?

I'm sure all PP threads will show up if you googled "thread hijack".

This. The wonder of this was that I was expecting a couple of posts and a quick laugh. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition....

It is all rather surreal. Think about this. You and I are sat thousands of miles apart, 8 time zones away, and communicate pretty much instantaneously.

Oh yeah, I trip off that shit all the time.

My husband can't understand how I consider most of you true kind of friends :huh:

I might die from sensory over-load when we all meet.

Oh yeah, I trip off that shit all the time.

My husband can't understand how I consider most of you true kind of friends :huh:

I might die from sensory over-load when we all meet.

Me too. I chat more to you lot than my "offline" friends. Miss Cat are definitely doing a future draft party, btw. Once the wedding is done and paid for....

It is all rather surreal. Think about this. You and I are sat thousands of miles apart, 8 time zones away, and communicate pretty much instantaneously.

Instantaneous?

:thwak:

Don't make me get Relativistic on you.

Unless of course you two are using a quantum entanglement based communication device to have "spooky action, at a distance".

Instantaneous?

Unless of course you two are using a quantum entanglement based communication device to have "spooky action, at a distance".

It's amazing the spectrum of intelligence we have here on the board.

On a completely unrelated note- reading that link hurted my brain :blink:

Instantaneous?

I shall ask my Physics graduate fiancee to read the article and translate for me. :shrug:

Actually, if one was to reduce Descartes argument to a pithy quote, it would be "I doubt, therefore I am".

He asked the question "how do i know I actually exist"? He realized that there had to be something that had expressed this doubt and so ...

Speak for Jaric, but don't generalize.

Bottoming out & 5 fingers FTW. :coffee:

This is the kind of thing I love about the Planet. Interleaved discussions about wildly differing topics, all in a thread about a third subject. Mr Cat can't be a figment of my imagination though as he is far too exasperating. :Lwelcome:

This is the kind of thing I love about the Planet. Interleaved discussions about wildly differing topics, all in a thread about a third subject. Mr Cat can't be a figment of my imagination though as he is far too exasperating.

I couldn't even imagine having to keep another story straight ROFL

You'd never see me with an alt.

Except for someone thought I was BELUAH :shrug:

I couldn't even imagine having to keep another story straight ROFL

You'd never see me with an alt.

Except for someone thought I was BELUAH :shrug:

Talking of alts, the genius of PP/MEPatnut is that he gets them to vote the opposite way on polls. Miss Cat spotted it on this one.

It's amazing the spectrum of intelligence we have here on the board.

On a completely unrelated note- reading that link hurted my brain :blink:

I shall ask my Physics graduate fiancee to read the article and translate for me. :shrug:

The "spooky action at a distance" part of quantum entanglement isn't that hard to understand, at least the concept behind it.

Consider the following hypothetical. (BTW, I'm mixing around some subatomic behavior to make the example easire to understand. This precise example may not actually occur)

Assume you have an radioactive particle sitting still in space. Let's call it Bill.

Suppose that bill will undergo some type of radioactive decay and emit something. Let's further assume that this process will leave Bill sitting still in space.

Well if Bill emits a single particle in one direction, it can't sit still in space, since the emitted particle will have some momentum. Momentum is conserved, so if Bill is to continue to sit still in space, he has to emit another particle in the exact opposite direction. The two emitted particles will have opposite momentum and so Bill will still have the same amount.

This way momentum is conserved and Bill stays still in space.

Now subatomic particles have other properties that are also conserved. One of them is called "spin". It's not important to know exactly what spin is, simply that it is one of the characteristics used to describe subatomic particles, it comes in two "types" - called Up and Down, and is conserved.

So if Bill is to conserve his spin, he will have to emit an "up" spin particle and a "down" spin particle.

Make sense?

OK, here's where the quantum "weirdness" takes place.

I assume you've heard that there are certain properties at the quantum level that are considered probabilities and not fixed singular values. The example often cited is where exactly is the electron that orbits the proton in a Hydrogen atom. It isn't like the Earth and the Moon, where the position of each is clearly understood.

For the electron, it's position is expressed as a probability and it is only when the measurement is made that the precise location is known.

Don't get too frustrated trying to understand what that "means", just think of it as being like the following.

You have four rowdy boys, they share a bedroom. They often switch which bed they sleep in, but each has a preference. Until you look in the bedroom, to see which bed they are in, you only know what the probability is that any one of the boys is in any given bed.

So, the only important thing to understand is that there is a certain probability associated with any quantum parameter and until you actually measure it, you don't know for sure what value it is.

Spin is one of these quantum parameters

So, we have the two particles moving away from Bill. We know one has to be spin up and one has to be spin down. We also know that until we measure one of them, it isn't certain which is up, which is down, and there is a probability associated with each.

So let's assume that we let these particles get many miles away from Bill and then measure one of them.

Whatever value we measure for that one, the other particle has to be the opposite. Even though we didn't measure it. After all Bill's spin didn't change and spin has to be conserved.

Now based on the probability part of Quantum Mechanics, it is not correct to say that they were always in that state. One of them became up or down only when we measured it.

This means the other settled into a single state without being "observed" and did so at essentially the exact same moment the other one settled into a single state.

It also means it happened before any signal could have been sent from the measured particle to the other one to "tell it" what form it should become.

If it sent a signal, it couldn't travel any faster than the speed of light, and that would take a finite amount of time to cross those miles separating the two particles.

Thus these two particles are said to be 'entangled" since the quantum state of one influences the quantum state of the other.

The really weird part is that the "instantaneous" part of the entanglement suggests that information could be transmitted at speeds faster than light.

Back