• Total voters

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
In your home. Cars don't count.

If yes, what you got?

If no, why the hell not?

Right now it's just a 12" Polk Audio. It was intended to be a bridge as my old one died, but I am giving serious consideration to going wireless with a Sonos surround system.

I used to subscribe to Stereo Review magazine, and I used that to vicariously live my dream of being an audiophile while in the real world we paid off our mortgage and saved to put the kids through college.

Lately, we've been moving around a lot and so I have deferred on upgrading the system and instead get by with my Sennheiser headphones. So the answer to your question is no, I don't have a subwoofer.

Once we return from Australia I plan to get serious about investigating all the options I'll have in the A/V universe, and some of my disposable income will be disposed in that area.

I used to subscribe to Stereo Review magazine, and I used that to vicariously live my dream of being an audiophile while in the real world we paid off our mortgage and saved to put the kids through college.

Lately, we've been moving around a lot and so I have deferred on upgrading the system and instead get by with my Sennheiser headphones. So the answer to your question is no, I don't have a subwoofer.

Once we return from Australia I plan to get serious about investigating all the options I'll have in the A/V universe, and some of my disposable income will be disposed in that area.

My god, I so totally had a subscription to Stereo Review in the '80s and '90s when I was young. And I too lived vicariously through the supersystems they'd show.

I had a dream of owning the $100,000 Infinity Reference System (IRS) full room system. Jesus! :)

Just checked eBay and they are still selling for close to 20 grand. Interesting.

83146340_280919706652298_6656842124796038279_n.jpg

I have owned much mid to high-end audio equipment over the years and it all started with my Nakamichi receiver, tape deck, CD player and Infinity RS 6000 speakers when I was 16. Saved all my money and bought them based on the reviews from Hirsch-Houck lab tests and reviews.

First CD's I bought were Dark Side of the Moon and Duran Duran's Rio. Two of my favorites at the time and they got stellar ratings by the lab.

I have had a number of subwoofers over the years and I powered my system mostly with Parasound amps. I used to be a dealer for some of these companies for a while, got great prices for myself. :)

Have had Velodyne( Freaking wonderful, very pricey) Pinnacle ( Meh), SVS and they just blew my mind.

I think I will go with SVS again in the future when I'm ready to rebuild my home theater.

So, I've been into home theater since the 90s. Like Tip and JL, I had audiophile tastes but never the money, so I've always had to make some compromises.

Considering the money I didn't have in the 90s, I don't think I did badly with my speakers. They are the original Henry Kloss designed Cambridge Soundworks towers and center. This was before Creative Labs and the Newton series, when Cambridge Soundworks was more serious about home audio.

Through the years, I picked up CS satellites for my system. The speakers are all now 25 years old, but seem to be just fine.

But my first subwoofer. It's a downward firing 12 inch I bought as a floor model at Sears also 25 years ago. About 10 years ago, I added a second sub, a Cambridge Soundworks dual 8".

I don't think either of these subs have ever given very good performance.

So soon, I will be buying a new SVS sub. I think just upgrading that one aspect of my system will make everything else hugely better as well. I've had various televisions and AVRs through the years, but it's time to upgrade those subs, and further extend the life of those towers.

When they do eventually go, I may look into DIY kits for speakers.

My god, I so totally had a subscription to Stereo Review in the '80s and '90s when I was young. And I too lived vicariously through the supersystems they'd show.

I had a dream of owning the $100,000 Infinity Reference System (IRS) full room system. Jesus! :)

Just checked eBay and they are still selling for close to 20 grand. Interesting.

View attachment 4324

I have owned much mid to high-end audio equipment over the years and it all started with my Nakamichi receiver, tape deck, CD player and Infinity RS 6000 speakers when I was 16. Saved all my money and bought them based on the reviews from Hirsch-Houck lab tests and reviews.

First CD's I bought were Dark Side of the Moon and Duran Duran's Rio. Two of my favorites at the time and they got stellar ratings by the lab.

I have had a number of subwoofers over the years and I powered my system mostly with Parasound amps. I used to be a dealer for some of these companies for a while, got great prices for myself. :)

Have had Velodyne( Freaking wonderful, very pricey) Pinnacle ( Meh), SVS and they just blew my mind.

I think I will go with SVS again in the future when I'm ready to rebuild my home theater.
A system, built around those Infinity's shown above, sits in the top 5 or so audio setups that I have had the pleasure of hearing.

For 30 years now, I have owned their Beta siblings. This is them setup in their current form:

My System 2.jpg

Holy hell!! Wonderful.
Wonderful indeed. In a couple ways (midrange musicality and no need to house them in an auditorium sized room) they are superior to the IRS V's :)

A system, built around those Infinity's shown above, sits in the top 5 or so audio setups that I have had the pleasure of hearing.

For 30 years now, I have owned their Beta siblings. This is them setup in their current form:

View attachment 4335
Wow, that is beautiful.

Are those interior speakers electrostats?

Wow, that is beautiful.

Are those interior speakers electrostats?
Thanks. No, these are a magnetic planar design. Both dipole designs but very different resultant sound.

For years I owned stats though. Here are my pair of Martin Logan paired up with Kinergetics subs.

Martin Logan and Kinergetics.jpg

Thanks. No, these are a magnetic planar design. Both dipole designs but very different resultant sound.

For years I owned stats though. Here are my pair of Martin Logan paired up with Kinergetics subs.

View attachment 4337
Excellent, thanks. That was going to be my next guess.

I was looking last week at the little Magenpan LRS speakers and considering them in the future, especially at the price point.

Excellent, thanks. That was going to be my next guess.

I was looking last week at the little Magenpan LRS speakers and considering them in the future, especially at the price point.

Sold many Maggies in my time. These LRS' can produce a very good sound if you give them space and a capable amp to allow them to shine.

I have an Infinity speaker system based around a 300 watt sub with a 12" driver. Denon AVR-X3700H powering 8 voice matched Infinity drivers and 2 JBL's for the lanai area on zone 2. I hate watching movies with shitty sound and when I'm swimming I want music too.

Sold many Maggies in my time. These LRS' can produce a very good sound if you give them space and a capable amp to allow them to shine.
Yeah, that was part of why I didn't just pull the trigger. Well, besides the fact I don't really need them, but I didn't know if I'd need to purchase a separate amp to really make them sound good. From the info I saw, they like high current amps.

But then I fell into the rabbit hole of DIY and got distracted by that and learning about crossovers.

Back