Do you own a subwoofer?

• Yes

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I've been holding out for thomas144 to mime the low parts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, that was part of why I didn't just pull the trigger. Well, besides the fact I don't really need them, but I didn't know if I'd need to purchase a separate amp to really make them sound good. From the info I saw, they like high current amps.

But then I fell into the rabbit hole of DIY and got distracted by that and learning about crossovers.

Yeah, space and wattage are essential to extract the most from any Maggie panel. The bigger the panel the more you need but, even these smaller speakers, require both. FWIW, the MMG's, the product the LRS' replaced are a much easier load on amps and might be a viable alternative, if amp choice is limited. Still need the space though.

Big DIY fan here. Have fun with this angle.

Yeah, space and wattage are essential to extract the most from any Maggie panel. The bigger the panel the more you need but, even these smaller speakers, require both. FWIW, the MMG's, the product the LRS' replaced are a much easier load on amps and might be a viable alternative, if amp choice is limited. Still need the space though.

Big DIY fan here. Have fun with this angle.
It is just amazing the apparent amount of money that can be saved with a little DIY in this area. I might order a kit of a pair of bookshelves just to judge how they sound.

It is just amazing the apparent amount of money that can be saved with a little DIY in this area. I might order a kit of a pair of bookshelves just to judge how they sound.

Indeed, I have been designing and building audio electronics for decades and am amazed at the amount of info available online to the DIY crowd.

Indeed, I have been designing and building audio electronics for decades and am amazed at the amount of info available online to the DIY crowd.
Do you know anything about Danny Richie and GR-Research? I've watched a bunch of his videos on youtube, but in online forums there seems to be a bit of a split opinion about him, some comparing him to a snake oil salesman.

Do you know anything about Danny Richie and GR-Research? I've watched a bunch of his videos on youtube, but in online forums there seems to be a bit of a split opinion about him, some comparing him to a snake oil salesman.

Have not followed him of late but, Dan started off with good intentions (and decent designs) but, apparently went astray.

If you are looking for inexpensive DIY bookshelves to get your feet wet, I have heard pretty good things about these:

View: https://www.amazon.com/HiVi-Bookshelf-Speakers-Near-Field-Speaker/dp/B0721ZQXDG

Have not followed him of late but, Dan started off with good intentions (and decent designs) but, apparently went astray.

If you are looking for inexpensive DIY bookshelves to get your feet wet, I have heard pretty good things about these:

View: https://www.amazon.com/HiVi-Bookshelf-Speakers-Near-Field-Speaker/dp/B0721ZQXDG
Thanks! Yeah, HiVi came up in my dive, though some reviewers like the XLS Encores from GR better.

Sent from my Commodore VIC 20 using Tapatalk

Yes. I have two Cambridge Soundworks subs. A 12" powered for my surround system and a
9" passive that is part of the Model 12 portable system, which turned out to be a great purchase.

The sub is built into the case for the system, which when packed up is a little smaller than, say, a circular saw,
the sturdy case/woofer contains a very small, yet powerful amp, cords, and two satellite speakers. I've used it for small events
where a DJ wasn't necessary and it is powerful enough to fill a good-sized room with really excellent, balanced sound.

Cambridge went chapter 11 or something, but not because they didn't make good shit, so this thing is
discontinued, but I've never really seen anything like it and I enjoy seeing the look on people's faces
when I hook it up and crank it. They can't believe a system that small is that powerful. I did so for a
friend's son, who is a musician and he was stunned. I think sound quality has gone downhill over the
years in favor of convenience, but this thing has been quite useful as long as there is AC. cambMod12.jpg

I just figured I'd talk about something people may not know about, but it's one of my favorite toys.

Welp,

I sold my little Cambridge Soundworks cube, and I am going to sell my other off brand 25 year old sub...

A new SVS is on the way and I am very excited about it.

Welp,

I sold my little Cambridge Soundworks cube, and I am going to sell my other off brand 25 year old sub...

A new SVS is on the way and I am very excited about it.

Freaking awesome, man!!!! ❤️

Which SVS did you decide on?

Freaking awesome, man!!!!

Which SVS did you decide on?
I got a good deal on the top sealed one, the SB16-Ultra with the piano black finish. I wasn't going to get that one, not wanting to spend that kind of money, but I couldn't pass it up for a good discount. It might be a little overkill, but I hope it holds me for another 25 years. And gives me a super solid foundation to build up from. 1500w with peak of 5000w MOSFET.

I wanted to go with sealed after spending months reading comparisons to ported. So it's perfect. Corner loading it should help with infrasonic extention. So will the on board DSP.

Except for how heavy it is. It's only like 20 inches in every direction, but is over 100 pounds.

I've drooled after SVS for 20 years. Even set aside a fund to save for it. The company is quite different now than 20 years ago when they were pretty much home made carpeted cylinders only. I compared to some other makers too, most notably PSA, but am happy with the choice, and the incredible customer support from SVS.

Arrives next week.

Sent from my Commodore VIC 20 using Tapatalk

Back