Does anybody else still get a little sick when Tom Petty comes on?

Stevo

Reaction score
I just heard him on the radio and I had to turn it off

a whole artist just ruined for me
(not that I was in love with him)

He just gives me such terrible flash backs now

Didn't even know he was the halftime act. I am with mikie on this one. That and watching the lingeries bowl.:shrug:

But he always made me feel that way anyway.

Didn't even know he was the halftime act. I am with mikie on this one. That and watching the lingeries bowl.:shrug:

But he always made me feel that way anyway.

fair enough

Tom Petty has some good songs, but I can see how some people don't like him because he's not that great of a guitarist and he has a "take it or leave it" voice like Bob Dylan. I like the simplicity and, for some reason, am not bothered by his nasally voice.

Ya I agree with you Stevo. Every time I hear "American Girl" I get a chill down my spine.

What are you guys watchin' that there is a half-time show on?

Oh and, I LOVE Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers. I LOVED Petty in Traveling Wilbury's too.

I'm with BL12 here. Big fan of Petty. I've seen him probably 5 or 6 times in concert. First time I saw him (Hard Promises - 1983) he fell off of a platform right on his guitar (it was only a foot or so) but it was pretty funny. He took it all in stride.

He used to do some excellent covers (Hang on Sloopy and While My Guitar Gently Weeps among them.)

How could you not think of Fast Times at Ridgemont High every time you hear "American Girl?"

Oh waaaaaaa. Time to get over it. If you were Buffalo fans I could maybe understand but the Pats have their SB victories that not every other team has.

Yes, absolutely. (I was at the SB so didn't really have any other viewing options). I deleted Petty from my iPod right after that SB. Last week I heard him on the car radio and immediately wanted to turn it off b/c the bad memories came rushing back. Yep, the NYG killed Tom Petty for me.

I'm with BL12 here. Big fan of Petty. I've seen him probably 5 or 6 times in concert. First time I saw him (Hard Promises - 1983) he fell off of a platform right on his guitar (it was only a foot or so) but it was pretty funny. He took it all in stride.

He used to do some excellent covers (Hang on Sloopy and While My Guitar Gently Weeps among them.)

How could you not think of Fast Times at Ridgemont High every time you hear "American Girl?"
funny pf64, my 1st real concert (not mom taking me to see Ray Charles and the like) was Petty, in late '82 I believe, and his cover of Hang on Sloopy has stuck with me ever since

yeah I like him, more so in the travelling Wilburies as I love Roy Orbison

but I remember that '82 show not the 1/2 time show - and I rarely watch the 1/2 time shows for reasons stated

Tom Petty has been removed from my Ipod. I can't stand him.

And I used to love Tom Petty.

PS: I love Harrison's typical tough guy response. Classic. I was at the game, was sick to my stomach at half time and the Tom Petty show is forever intertwined with how I felt at that time. Waaaah! Funny shit, Harrison, funny shit.

Wow! Just wow. I went onto YouTube to see Petty after seeing this thread. Loved his Mad Hatter videos too.
And he's a native Floridian. But the ones from Gainesville on up are true southerners.

Back