Does Trevor Lawrence have the Mentality of a Champion?

I am sure most have heard or read Trevor Lawrence's recent quotes about his approach to football where he said he didn't have a chip on his shoulder and his father said that football is not the most important thing to him and that he is not a guy that wants to win the SB at all costs. Wanted to see what people thought of his mentality and if it would concern you if the Patriots were the team taking him at #1 and not the Jags.

Trevor Lawrence's balanced approach to football coupled with Urban Meyer's fanaticism will make for quite a show in NFL​

In a Sports Illustrated cover story that sent draft fans into a tizzy, the Clemson star revealed a grounded and perspective-based ethos when it comes to winning in the NFL — namely while it is very, very, important, it’s not going to consume him.

“It’s hard to explain that because I want people to know that I’m passionate about what I do and it’s really important to me, but … I don’t have this huge chip on my shoulder that everyone’s out to get me and I’m trying to prove everybody wrong,” Lawrence told SI. “I just don’t have that. I can’t manufacture that. I don’t want to.
“... And I think people mistake that for being a competitor,” Lawrence continued. “I think that’s unhealthy to a certain extent, just as always thinking that you’ve got to prove somebody wrong, you’ve got to do more, you’ve got to be better.”

So too do these comments from his father (“He’s not: ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’”) and his high school coach (“With who he is as a person, he could walk away from [football] tomorrow and be fine.”)

Full article: Trevor Lawrence's balanced approach to football coupled with Urban Meyer's fanaticism will make for quite a show in NFL

I am sure most have heard or read Trevor Lawrence's recent quotes about his approach to football where he said he didn't have a chip on his shoulder and his father said that football is not the most important thing to him and that he is not a guy that wants to win the SB at all costs. Wanted to see what people thought of his mentality and if it would concern you if the Patriots were the team taking him at #1 and not the Jags.

Trevor Lawrence's balanced approach to football coupled with Urban Meyer's fanaticism will make for quite a show in NFL​

In a Sports Illustrated cover story that sent draft fans into a tizzy, the Clemson star revealed a grounded and perspective-based ethos when it comes to winning in the NFL — namely while it is very, very, important, it’s not going to consume him.

“It’s hard to explain that because I want people to know that I’m passionate about what I do and it’s really important to me, but … I don’t have this huge chip on my shoulder that everyone’s out to get me and I’m trying to prove everybody wrong,” Lawrence told SI. “I just don’t have that. I can’t manufacture that. I don’t want to.
“... And I think people mistake that for being a competitor,” Lawrence continued. “I think that’s unhealthy to a certain extent, just as always thinking that you’ve got to prove somebody wrong, you’ve got to do more, you’ve got to be better.”

So too do these comments from his father (“He’s not: ‘I want to win a Super Bowl at all costs.’”) and his high school coach (“With who he is as a person, he could walk away from [football] tomorrow and be fine.”)

Full article: Trevor Lawrence's balanced approach to football coupled with Urban Meyer's fanaticism will make for quite a show in NFL
Maybe more like a chimpanzee?

I've been reading that kind of stuff about TLawrence for several months.
Lets just say Lawrence doesn't seem like a BB kind of guy and I think that is a fair assessment.

It wouldn't shock me if Lawrence didn't live up to expectations. In fact, it's almost like he's being set up to fail with all the hype he's generating.

It wouldn't shock me if Lawrence didn't live up to expectations. In fact, it's almost like he's being set up to fail with all the hype he's generating.
I agree. Something seems off about him. Now hearing his recent comments, I would be hesitant on him. I do wonder how he will handle adversity given the Jags are going to lose a lot of games this year.

I agree. Something seems off about him. Now hearing his recent comments, I would be hesitant on him. I do wonder how he will handle adversity given the Jags are going to lose a lot of games this year.

I might come off a little Skip Bayless-like, but his attitude strikes me as that of JaMarcus Russell. Dude had all the talent in the world, many people thought he was going to be a great QB but he just had zero passion, and had faced zero adversity. He was lazy and ultimately busted out of the league. Now I don't mean Lawrence is going to be a monumental bust, but my point is even if he has all the talent in the world, if he has no drive, he might not succeed in the NFL.

Reads like he wants to be the anti-Brady.

I wonder how he's going to handle having Meyer's foot up his ass all the time. Dabo sort of coddled him. Meyer is the opposite. The entire Jags dynamic is going to interesting. Lawrence is a special talent but we'll see if he really wants to be a professional athlete. As far as Meyer, if I were to bet I would put money on him lasting 3 years & burning out. Losing games plus not be able just go out & get the best players will wear him out. That is usually the biggest hurdle for big time college coaches. The X & O's isn't the issue. Figuring out how to build a team is.

I wonder how he's going to handle having Meyer's foot up his ass all the time. Dabo sort of coddled him. Meyer is the opposite. The entire Jags dynamic is going to interesting. Lawrence is a special talent but we'll see if he really wants to be a professional athlete. As far as Meyer, if I were to bet I would put money on him lasting 3 years & burning out. Losing games plus not be able just go out & get the best players will wear him out. That is usually the biggest hurdle for big time college coaches. The X & O's isn't the issue. Figuring out how to build a team is.
It's a great point. The guy has been winning since he was 13. Of course he has no chip. He always has had the talent combined with opportunity to win.

You are right about Meyers. I do wonder how that will mesh. Also how are his teammates feeling when his dad says the SB is not important to him and he could walk away from football and be fine. Kind of reminds me of Andrew Luck who always said he had other interests outside of football. He had his book club and stuff.

Let Trevor get his NFL facts learned up quick.

You NEVER say anything that can be misconstrued -- even if what you are saying is completely rational and truthful. You speak in banal cliches so that nobody can read your quotes, as in this article, and interpret them as: LAWRENCE SAYS HE DOESN'T CARE ABOUT FOOTBALL.

I admit I was a bit skeptical about him as a leader of men going back about a year or so ago. I noticed him fixing his hair in his headband jusssst so before an on-field trophy presentation and wondered if he was already working on his brand, which I thought was pretty lame. I mean, Brady was always an amazingly fashionable beau brummel in his pressers, but I never noticed him Zhooshing his hair on the field or anything. I've since learned that Trevor isn't just a Golden Boy and seems like a nice enough person who should be a tremendous QB if Urban Meyer doesn't make him as crazy as he himself is. Every QB should be given some time to work his way into the show, but if anybody can handle the pressure of being a savior and superstar right away it could be this guy.

I'm come to consider that if you're a Jacksonville Jaguar then your best career move is to accept this kid for exactly who he is, because he is reallllly good.

Let's see if he goes all Hermit Crab to the press after this stupid flap. I hope not, but wouldn't blame him if he did. It's a short list of pro QBs that aren't worried about protecting a bulletproof image, but I always like a guy that isn't trying to come off like a politician every time somebody sticks a mike in his face.

I would guess he'll be okay since he sounds laidback. Might help his mental health with Meyer as his HC.

I don't think a person has to have a chip on their shoulder to rise to the top of their profession.

But they do have to have a passion for what they do. It's not just football - look at musicians, medical professionals, engineers, etc.

The people at the very top are deeply committed to whatever their field is, and are always practicing, performing, researching, teaching. Whatever it takes to advance both themselves and their profession - they're doing it, and doing it at a very high level.

When I read that Lawrence could walk away from football and be fine with it, that says something to me about his level of commitment. It doesn't mean he won't be somewhat successful, but as we've seen so many times in the past, pure talent only takes a person so far in the NFL. It takes a whole lot more to have consistent success in the big leagues, where everyone is talented. Maybe, if he doesn't have it now, Lawrence will develop that passion when he gets to the NFL. People can change, especially when they're thrust into new environments, they experience adversity, and are challenged both physically and mentally.

It's going to be really interesting, five years from now, to look back on the 2021 class of QBs.

It's probably the most heralded class since 1983, when six QBs were drafted in the first round (28 teams back then).

Tip, that was an outstanding post(as usual).
couldn't agree more.
the "want to" aspect is huge. i mean, jules had skills, but without his relentless drive, etc. would he have had the career he did? nope. that passion is what keeps anyone going through the rough spots. i'm sure any of us with passion for something can relate to that on some level.

i don't think he sounds like Luck. Luck always had passion, commitment, and drive for the game. i never questioned that. i think that it's just a matter of his weighing it against his physical issues and deciding his career was over because he couldn't function like that as a player. he probably could have hung around half assing it for a bit. the fact that he had a profession in waiting and other interests aided that decision, i'm sure. but i have 0 doubt he'd still be playing if he felt he could .

Screen-Shot-2021-04-17-at-10.38.01-PM.png

I would absolutely hate to be in Jacksonville's position. Lawrence is the defacto #1 pick and they have to take him. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

In terms of Lawrence's comments, I don't read to much into them because they are not much of a surprise to me. From colossal failures like Jamarcus Russell and David Carr, to guys like who had success like Andrew Luck and Drew Bledsoe, they all still seemed to lack something. I don't want to say that "something" is necessarily a chip on their shoulder, but they've all had their asses kissed by an assembled entourage that is organized primarily to pump their tires leading up to their big draft day. They were the best players in the town where they played HS ball and faced little in terms of the adversity they'd endure in the pros.

You look at guys like Luck and Cam Newton, and it's not at all fair to say they were disappointments but in truly modern times, only (Peyton) Manning, Aikman and Elway truly stand out amongst 1st overall picks. I'd include Eli because he has the hardware, but sorry - I am not putting him in the same sentence with those other 3.

I would be crapping my pants if I was Jax in this no-win situation.

LMAO...this is all happy horse/shit. If Babooshka Krafty heard this fucking drivel, he would be still laughing to the bank.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Dumb.as.fuck.BS...

Draft him as soon as you can...type of QB.

DUH...

Back