Don't count out the Pats!

Thumper

Charger Power
Reaction score
Website
www.bolttalk.net
That's what's everyone is saying. I heard it on TV the other day, don't count them out, they have playoff experience. Sorry, I'm not buying it. The Pats have done an amazing job with what they've had to work with, but they just don't have the talent to get 'er done.

Except where it is most important....

Coaching, QB, and front 7 on D.

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 04:57 PM said:
That's what's everyone is saying. I heard it on TV the other day, don't count them out, they have playoff experience. Sorry, I'm not buying it. The Pats have done an amazing job with what they've had to work with, but they just don't have the talent to get 'er done.
Hey Rabbit, quips are not for kids.

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 01:57 PM said:

Hey hey Thumper. Nice to see you adding your voice. I was starting to feel unloved here. . .Can ya smell the aroma??? Fear, trepidation, anxiety. So think, you can cut it with a knife. . .Where's Chef???

BoltsOwnU (a.k.a. Rule12b):D

Undertaker #59 on 01-09-2007 at 01:59 PM said:

Coaching - Pats slight edge
QB - Pats slight edge
front 7 - Chargers slight edge

RB - Chargers edge
FB - Chargers edge
WR - Chargers slight edge
TE - Chargers edge
O-Line - Chargers edge
Secondary - Charger slight edge
Special Teams - Chargers edge

Just how I see it.

Re: Re: Don't count out the Pats!

BoltsOwnU on 01-09-2007 at 02:14 PM said:
Hey hey Thumper. Nice to see you adding your voice. I was starting to feel unloved here. . .Can ya smell the aroma??? Fear, trepidation, anxiety. So think, you can cut it with a knife. . .Where's Chef???

Yeah, I knew it was you. I recognize your alter ego. See you at the game Sunday. I'll be there at 8am. Same spot as the last few games.

BoltsOwnU on 01-09-2007 at 05:14 PM said:
Can ya smell the aroma??? Fear, trepidation, anxiety. So think, you can cut it with a knife. . .Where's Chef???

Let's face facts. When it comes down to a battle of coaching, the Bolts are unarmed.

:shake:

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 05:14 PM said:
QB - Pats slight edge

I was going to say more on this but I don't have the time right now. But I find it ummm interesting that you would only give a slight edge in these two categories to the Patriots in a playoff game considering the relative histories...

Re: Re: Re: Don't count out the Pats!

dchester on 01-09-2007 at 02:17 PM said:
Let's face facts. When it comes down to a battle of coaching, the Bolts are unarmed.

:shake:
I'm not the biggest Marty fan in the world, but your statement is ridiculous. I remember not so long ago Mike Martz was gods gift to coaching. You know the whole greatest show on turf, etc. Your Pats put that theory to bed.

Bill Belichick has put together a winning program for you guys. But, when he coached the Cleveland Browns, he was a nobody and left with a 36-44 record. Not what I would call a coaching genius. Amazing what winning will do for a coaches rep. But no team wins forever and no coach is on the top forever. He's had a nice run, but how much longer will it last? If the Chargers keep this momentium and win a few Super Bowls, Marty will be the new coach de jour.

Although if that happens, the apocalypse might be near. :D

Undertaker #59 on 01-09-2007 at 02:25 PM said:
I was going to say more on this but I don't have the time right now. But I find it ummm interesting that you would only give a slight edge in these two categories to the Patriots in a playoff game considering the relative histories...
As they say in investing, history is not a guarentee of future performance. I know you guys love your QB and coach. Personally I think they are very good, but the hype machine that surrounds them is bigger than life.

I'm surprised though that you question me giving you a slight edge at the QB position even while Rivers made the pro bowl and Brady did not. Guess some people feel we have a better QB. I'm not going to say that, but in degrees of better, I'm not gonna go overboard and say Brady is that much better.

BTW- I do think Brady should have made the pro bowl.

I hope everyone keeps saying stuff like this. After all, people talked trash about Florida and Boise State for about a month, and you saw what happened to their opponents.

BoltsOwnU on 01-09-2007 at 05:14 PM said:
Hey hey Thumper. Nice to see you adding your voice. I was starting to feel unloved here. . .Can ya smell the aroma??? Fear, trepidation, anxiety.

Take a shower, then. Hippie Californians.

Re: Re: Re: Don't count out the Pats!

PatsFan09 on 01-09-2007 at 02:41 PM said:
Take a shower, then. Hippie Californians.
:LOL: Neither of us are hippies. Not by a long shot. I am really ammused how much of the country view Californans though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't count out the Pats!

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 05:28 PM said:
I'm not the biggest Marty fan in the world, but your statement is ridiculous. I remember not so long ago Mike Martz was gods gift to coaching. You know the whole greatest show on turf, etc. Your Pats pull that theory to bed.

Bill Belichick has put together a winning program for you guys. But, when he coached the Cleveland Browns, he was a nobody and left with a 36-44 record. Not what I would call a coaching genius. Amazing what winning will do for a coaches rep. But no team wins forever and no coach is on the top forever. He's had a nice run, but how much longer will it last? If the Chargers keep this momentium and win a few Super Bowls, Marty will be the new coach de jour.

Although if that happens, the apocalypse might be near. :D

This post and your previous assesment of each team shows you didn't do very much homework.

First, this post. BB's tenure in Cleveland was more successful than the average hick gives him credit for. He took over a terrible team and had them in the playoffs within three seasons. His last season in Cleveland, they had a 4-1 record before Modell announced the team was moving. Everything collapsed after that. Modell canned him because he wanted a clean break from everything Cleveland related and wanted to hire Marchibroda as a publicity stunt.

As far as your breakdown goes, QB..slight edge?? You are truly delusional. Coaching...slight edge??? Your opinion is starting to become suspect.

Front 7 shoudl be broken down further to DL and LB. At DL, I give the Pats a slight edge. This is the best front 3 SD will face all year. The Pats also rotate in Green and Wright to provide spells for the big three.

At LB, SD still gets the edge.

SD gets the RB edge because of LT. But the Pats have a deep and talented group with Dillon and Maroney splitting carries, Evans blocking and Faulk as the 3rd down back.

Oline, I admit to not know SD's line well, but the Pats have a very strong front 5 and they can rotate two mroe linemen into the game.

Gates obviously puts SD over the top at TE, but again, the Pats go three deep at the position with Watson, Graham and Thomas all good receiver and Graham is a devastating blocker.

For special teams, the Pats coverage has been suspect but improved significantly against the Jets. Maroney and/or Hobbs are dangerous kick returners. Both have broken long ones with Hobbs returning one all the way.

JMHO ;)

Undertaker #59 on 01-09-2007 at 04:59 PM said:

Oy. Bingo!

I guess they should start engraving "Chargers" on the Lombardi Trophy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't count out the Pats!

bideau on 01-09-2007 at 02:55 PM said:
This post and your previous assesment of each team shows you didn't do very much homework.

First, this post. BB's tenure in Cleveland was more successful than the average hick gives him credit for. He took over a terrible team and had them in the playoffs within three seasons. His last season in Cleveland, they had a 4-1 record before Modell announced the team was moving. Everything collapsed after that. Modell canned him because he wanted a clean break from everything Cleveland related and wanted to hire Marchibroda as a publicity stunt.

As far as your breakdown goes, QB..slight edge?? You are truly delusional. Coaching...slight edge??? Your opinion is starting to become suspect.

Front 7 shoudl be broken down further to DL and LB. At DL, I give the Pats a slight edge. This is the best front 3 SD will face all year. The Pats also rotate in Green and Wright to provide spells for the big three.

At LB, SD still gets the edge.

SD gets the RB edge because of LT. But the Pats have a deep and talented group with Dillon and Maroney splitting carries, Evans blocking and Faulk as the 3rd down back.

Oline, I admit to not know SD's line well, but the Pats have a very strong front 5 and they can rotate two mroe linemen into the game.

Gates obviously puts SD over the top at TE, but again, the Pats go three deep at the position with Watson, Graham and Thomas all good receiver and Graham is a devastating blocker.

For special teams, the Pats coverage has been suspect but improved significantly against the Jets. Maroney and/or Hobbs are dangerous kick returners. Both have broken long ones with Hobbs returning one all the way.

JMHO ;)
My homework on Belichick showed that he had a losing record with the Browns. Was I wrong? Did he get fired? Don't most coaches with losing records get fired eventually? I might have cut to the chase, but I didn't miss anything.

I know how much you love your QB nad coach, so it doean't surprise me at all that some one giving rational thought to the positions would be called delusional.

For the most part I agree with your accessment though. A few things though. RB postion isn't just LT. Michael Turner would be a starter on most teams and unfortunately for us he will probably have that opportunity next season for another team.

DL is another spot I need to mention. We both run a 3-4 defense. Your front 3 are impressive, but I'm not sure I can give you the edge there. Jamal Williams is a beast. He is a run stuffer and on passing downs he can tie up tow or three of you oline which is the key to freeing up the LB/DE postion to get major presure from the outside. Merriman wouldn't have had nearly the sacks without Big Jamal in the middle. Castillo has been injured this year, but will be at 100% for this game. Not a good thing for the Pats. He is relentless vs. both the pass and run. On the other side we have Olshansky. Possiblely the strongest man in the NFL. He's becoming a better pass rusher, but his strength is stopping the run. We also have plenty of depth on the DL.

I'll give you the depth at pass catching Tight Ends, but we also have Brandon Manumaleuna who has a few TDs this season and is an excellent blocking TE.

To be the best, you have to play the best and I think the Pats are one of the best teams in the NFL. I just happen to think we're better. Either way it's going to be a good game.

Thumper on 01-09-2007 at 11:14 PM said:
QB - Pats slight edge
front 7 - Chargers slight edge

RB - Chargers edge
FB - Chargers edge
WR - Chargers slight edge
TE - Chargers edge
O-Line - Chargers edge
Secondary - Charger slight edge
Special Teams - Chargers edge

Just how I see it.
:Homer:

How come the Chargers have given up 4.1 point more per game with a weaker schedule if they have the edge on both front 7 and secondary? :huh:

On scoring defense the Pats are #2 in the league and the Chargers are #7. On total defense the Pats are #6 and the Chargers are #10.

A proven 3 time Super Bowl, 2 time SB MVP, future HOF QB have a slight edge over a playoff rookie QB......YEAH right.

I will say you guys have a 60/40 chance though.

Undertaker #59 on 01-09-2007 at 05:25 PM said:

I think he meant to say coaching and QB are a knife's edge.

11-1 playoffs. Yeah..those two boys starting with B.

B&B 11-1

Back